Coby kyros 1024 first Custom ROM

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
Good Morning guys, im Eduardo from Brazil and im here to share my ROM with you...
First of all, sorry for my bad english... I know it sucks...

I downloaded the flxrms ROM and installed it on my 1024 but it ****ed my tablet, touch didnt worked anymore, all issues you guys already know, etc....
Luckly, theres a recovery at coby usa already... with that recovery file and flxrms rom i made alot of changes at the original firmware and im here to post the results and the file for your evaluation...

The changes i made, and the issues i fixed:
- Cleared the stock instalation, removed all crap files from Coby OFW (The apps on my ROM are: Calculator, Camera, Email, Gallery, Music, Browser, Search and Search Widget, cant remember if there are another apps... will update info later)
- LCD Density changed from 200 to 162 (High Resolution, finally looks like a tablet now!)
- Removed applib and fixed market on stock install
- Fixed Google Calendar, Google Tasks and Google Contacts
- Fixed 3G option (NOT TESTED, this is a function from the flxrms version and i dont have 3g to test it, please update ty)
- Fixed all issues with touch screen and lcd, so this ROM is FULL COMPATIBLE with 1024 devices
- Changed the boot animation to a cool one i found at xda. =D

I think this ROM is safe, i flashed my own device about 30 times today, just to test the features
I think thats all... Thanks to flxrms, who started this job, i think he did some memory optimizing, coz its running really smooth now and i really dont have a clue about advanced android programming... I mean, i just tried to fix my tablet missing functions, like sync with google stuff and i think it will help some people like me...
Enough with the talk, here's the link: CFW-1024 froyo 2.2 ver 1.0.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Like i said, im just a rookie android user, this ROM must be a joke to you guys, but i really hope it helps and i am waiting a real custom ROM to this fantastic device.
Thanks for you all who will test this ROM and who will use it to create another ones, lets make this tablet a nice device guys!

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
Almost forgot, the install instructions...

Pretty simple: 1. Copy all files to a MicroSD card, i recommend a clean one...
2. Recharge your Coby Kyros 1024
3. After recharge TURN OFF your Coby Kyros 1024
4. Insert the card at the COBY KYROS 1024 MicroSD slot
5. Press the home menu, keep pressing and TURN the tablet ON
6. After that, a recovery menu will appear, then you can release the home button.
7. Wait a few minutes while system works
8. System will shut down, TURN it ON again
9. DONE! Congratz, now you have a nice and clean Android 2.2 build optimized for Coby Kyros 1024!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I was checking your files and compared with the original Coby files... My question: did you change u-boot.bin? It looks like it's the same as the original one (294912 bytes, whereas the one used by flxrms is bigger 312296 bytes). Did you change anything in it? If yes, what did you change?

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I was checking your files and compared with the original Coby files... My question: did you change u-boot.bin? It looks like it's the same as the original one (294912 bytes, whereas the one used by flxrms is bigger 312296 bytes). Did you change anything in it? If yes, what did you change?

I check his changes he didnt use the oc uboot.bin so i guess its safe, sd_mbr.dat not included so not 1gig internall memory.

Now its still ok but the version of froyo for 1024 is actually newer and im already using it in my 7024 tablet. Although i made a mistake in my mod somewhere theres some fc...too busy with work.

Now the good news bluetooth is now working i was able to pair with my cellphone.

So to all users of 1024 your better off using the stock rom than using this mod since theres not much difference.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Last edited:

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011

Its the same original file... tried to edit the flxrms file using the HEX editor but it hard failed... and that file from flxrms didnt worked to me, even changing the values... then i put the original file in and BAM! worked...

I did the modifications to the original firmware, using the files i found in the flxrms version, changing some files and flashing the device to check it out... if i got a problem (wifi error or buttons not working) i was just changing back the modifications and tried again...

Like i said, im not a developer... just an android fan ;P

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Wait, you actually tried to use flxrms' modified u-boot.bin and it didn't brick you tablet? When it failed? It wasn't flashed to NAND at all or it was? If it was actually flashed,what happened next? Were you still able to boot your tablet in recovery mode and re-flash the firmware??

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
Wait, you actually tried to use flxrms' modified u-boot.bin and it didn't brick you tablet? When it failed? It wasn't flashed to NAND at all or it was? If it was actually flashed,what happened next? Were you still able to boot your tablet in recovery mode and re-flash the firmware??

let me explain, i applied the flxrms' ROM, but when i did that my touch screen didnt work anymore, because its made for the 7024 and 8024 devices..

The buttons didnt work too, the Menu, Browser, Search and Back buttons i mean...

After that, i flashed with the firmware provided from coby, and started to modify it adding some files from flxrms's ROM and replacing the coby ones... it worked fine and now we got an stable ROM working without the known issues and with sync support.

Thats my idea, a working kyros 1024 ROM with better resolution and Sync support...
Step 1 done, now im working on a bluetooth support, and need to test 3g and hdmi functions, kinda need help from comunity because i dont have a mini hdmi cable or a 3g modem... I will borrow a 3g modem this afternoon and will test it, but i cant buy a hdmi cable in time, if any of you guys can test it, id be grateful.

Best regards, Eduardo

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
When you say "I applied the flxrms' ROM" it means that you have used exactly the same files? It is very important, because we need to know if you have used u-boot.bin (bootloader) from flxrms CFW or the original one from Coby, since it seems that a u-boot.bin other than the original one can brick the tablet.

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
When you say "I applied the flxrms' ROM" it means that you have used exactly the same files? It is very important, because we need to know if you have used u-boot.bin (bootloader) from flxrms CFW or the original one from Coby, since it seems that a u-boot.bin other than the original one can brick the tablet.

i understand...

i did applied the flxrms' ROM FIRST, and it didnt work for me, ok?
After that, i replaced his u-boot.bin file with that uboot found at the coby firmware... so, answering your question, im using the u-boot.bin file from coby firmware at my ROM...

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
i understand...

i did applied the flxrms' ROM FIRST, and it didnt work for me, ok?
After that, i replaced his u-boot.bin file with that uboot found at the coby firmware... so, answering your question, im using the u-boot.bin file from coby firmware at my ROM...

Well its nice to know using gingerbread oc uboot.bin didnt brick your tablet.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Forsaken_BA

Sep 27, 2011
Please, help me! This rom brick my tablet. Now when i turn on my MID1024 nothing appears, only a black screen. What can i do to put back the original rom?