Coby kyros mid 1125

Daolite32

Dec 12, 2011
I need some help with a few issues with this tablet. im relatively new to android but absolutely love my two devices. I purchased a COBY KYROS MID 1125 and need to do a few things with it so in order I need as simple of instructions and will ask questions when i dont understand what your talking about...also bare in mind I do not have a computer so any solutions you may have need to take that into account. I do have acces but not for syncing or DL ops.

1. I need to root the device ( have tried a method using z4root but several things prevented me from completing the task)
2. I need to get PERMANENT access top the android market
3. I need to figure out which and why I need GINGERBREAD, FROYO, CYANOGENMOD roms
4. I need to understand what pushing is
5. I need to what SU is
6. I need a good/GREAT antivirus that is FREE
7. I need a good/GREAT list of apps that will help with modding this device
8. I need to figure out how to use my LG Optimus to tether so i have internet access.
9. I want to add Bluetooth so what do I need in addition to a USB BT dongle

I have DL a few things from getjar, applib and am running GO launcher EX I want the standard Launcher gone

I also want to know why these devices cannot use USB to charge the battery and where you can get a 12 volt DC car charger to charge the device. Coby claims they dont have on it is 5v and I want to use a solar panel to charge the device.

I also would like advice on both a screen protector and a case that provides protection and position holding for use on a desk on a couch in bed etc

and I need to know if i can run a usb gps so google maps or other apps will function like the phone

I do plan on buying a computer to advance my capabilities with the device. LINUX based laptops are my intent....BILL GATES DEVICES ARE NOT AN OPTION ADN I WILL BLOCK YOU IF YOU ADVISE IN THAT DIRECTION....APPLE OR LINUX ONLY..I wont block but i also wont take you seriously either lol

ok that about does it for now thanks in advance and hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAY.

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
1) Rooting is super easy. Just download the latest SuperOneClick from shortfuse.org, run it, click Root, let is work its magic, and you are good.
2) To install Google Android Market, follow these directions:
Adding Android Market to Coby Kyros MID1125 (no rooting) - xda-developers
3) This tablet comes preinstalled with Gingerbread, unfortunately I am not aware of any ROMs that have been developed at this time....
4) Pushing is how you move files onto your rooted tablet via ADB.
5) SU is SuperUser, which any rooted device needs to function properly, it will be automatically installed on your device as part of the SuperOneClick root process.
6) I have no advice on an AntiVirus to use, but I will say I never use virus software and have NEVER had a problem in over 2 years of using Android devices....just stay away from sketchy sites/downloads/emails and you will be just fine!
7) No advice, sorry!
8) A quick google search on how to enable tethering on your Optimus after rooting it should give you that answer, the XDA Developers website I am sure has that info.
9) A bluetooth dongle and the software/driver that comes with it should be all you need...

I will also add, that once you have rooted and installed the Android Market, download and install either Root Explorer (paid) (or ES File Explorer (free), launch it, go to the settings menu, scroll to the bottom and enable root access file management and Mount File system as writable (so check both of the bottom boxes for root and mount), and then you can navigate to the root of your device then system/apps and you can simply delete any garbage programs you don't want like AppsLib or that dumb YouTube link program. By the way, the tablet comes with ES File Explorer already installed, but it's some crappy version that doesn't work for rooted devices, so you need to replace it with the version on the Android market.

I deleted all crap apps and had no problems whatsoever, but the standard disclaimer applies that you always run the risk of bricking your device!

Good luck!

paulonsf

Nov 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have a coby kyros 1125 and rooted it. I useed the same steps to root the coby kyros 7022. The only problem is the recovery mode ( CWM) desn't work if you press power button + home in coby 1125. For solve this problem your have to install in you computer the ADB tools, after that you need to following the root 7022 steps. When you need to enter in recovery mode use adb commands like adb reboot recovey <enter> this will work like press power button + home. If you need to reset the tablet use adb reboot <enter>. In the recovery mode you can use the volume down do move the cursor e volume up to select the item.

Steps:

First you need to install the adb tool. Use the below link to learn aboutt adb commands and download the ADB files. If you prefer, look for it on net.

How To: Install ADB and Fastboot on your Windows computer for use with your Android phone | Android Articles | dotTech

Plug you tablet in you pc, using usb cable and activating the debug mode on you tablet, and try some commands like:

adb devices <enter>
adb reboot <enter>
adb shell <enter>

Now that you have some familiarity with adb command you can root you coby 1125.

I used the following youtube tutorial like a base. See the video to have some root process idea.

In this tutorial you will need download two files the update.zip file and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip .These files have to stay in external sd card in zip format... yes!!! in zip format.

The first file update.zip will give you the CMW Recovery Mode and you will install it accessing the tablet on setting/about devices/system uptade/ (select sd card). ( see the video )

Update.zip ( CWM Recovery)......update.zip

So wait until update finish, the tablet will reboot, if not use ( adb reboot <enter>)

To acess the ClockWorkMod (CWM) you use the ADB comand ( adb reboot recovery <enter>) in you pc; so your tablet will reboot in CWM mod, so you can install the other file (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed) following the video procedure. D'ont forget to put your tablet in debbug mod, if not you will not to be able to have adb commands.

In this step you will need to use volume down to move and volume up to select the itens in CWM Recovery Mode.

Attention: If you select the wrong option in CWM Mode the way to back is using the adb command again ( adb reboot recovery). So try to select the correct item like showed in youtube video. I didnt find a easier way ( or tablet botton) to give a back command in CWM mode.

su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed)

After install this last file , use adb comando to reboot the tablet ( adb reboot <enter> )

After install these two files , look for google superuser.apk and rootexplore.apk and install it in you tablet . Now you have root access!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dbeauch

Dec 12, 2011
I would like to hear any success stories from others out there as rooting only worked with SuperOneClick for me, I was not able to get the update.zip to work...I got the dreaded Android with the exclamation mark! Still no CWM as a result....but at least I am rooted!

karatche

Dec 25, 2011
Has anyone been able to get adb to work with this tablet? I don' think I ahve the right drivers installed im my windows computer. Running XP Pro. I have adb set up and use it regularly with my HTC Evo 3d. So I know a little about adb. I cant get the pc to recognize the tablet from "adb devices" command. I get a connection to transfer files through usb though.

jcparker500R

Dec 27, 2011
1) Rooting is super easy. Just download the latest SuperOneClick from shortfuse.org, run it, click Root, let is work its magic, and you are good.
2) To install Google Android Market, follow these directions:
Adding Android Market to Coby Kyros MID1125 (no rooting) - xda-developers
3) This tablet comes preinstalled with Gingerbread, unfortunately I am not aware of any ROMs that have been developed at this time....
4) Pushing is how you move files onto your rooted tablet via ADB.
5) SU is SuperUser, which any rooted device needs to function properly, it will be automatically installed on your device as part of the SuperOneClick root process.
6) I have no advice on an AntiVirus to use, but I will say I never use virus software and have NEVER had a problem in over 2 years of using Android devices....just stay away from sketchy sites/downloads/emails and you will be just fine!
7) No advice, sorry!
8) A quick google search on how to enable tethering on your Optimus after rooting it should give you that answer, the XDA Developers website I am sure has that info.
9) A bluetooth dongle and the software/driver that comes with it should be all you need...

I will also add, that once you have rooted and installed the Android Market, download and install either Root Explorer (paid) (or ES File Explorer (free), launch it, go to the settings menu, scroll to the bottom and enable root access file management and Mount File system as writable (so check both of the bottom boxes for root and mount), and then you can navigate to the root of your device then system/apps and you can simply delete any garbage programs you don't want like AppsLib or that dumb YouTube link program. By the way, the tablet comes with ES File Explorer already installed, but it's some crappy version that doesn't work for rooted devices, so you need to replace it with the version on the Android market.

I deleted all crap apps and had no problems whatsoever, but the standard disclaimer applies that you always run the risk of bricking your device!

Good luck!

Thank you SO much for providing the link for adding Android Market. It was quick and easy and now I'm much happier with my mid1125!

4bddn

Dec 27, 2011
how can u tell what is the external card? root explorer shows a /sdcard but thats not the external card. there is a /mnt/sdcard that IS the external card...but nothing works with the update.zip

lbrinkley511

May 5, 2012
I too have a mid1125 with lots of problems. I have followed the above advice to get the android market on my tablet. Was fairly easy but some of the game apps keep closing unexpectedly and I am having difficulty in downloading the free music I got with it from eMusic. I have followed there tech advice and downloaded thier download manager to my sdcard. It will not load to my tablet, I have purchased 6 songs that are nowhere to be found. How can I possibly "unlock" this machine so I can download anything I want to it?

donnasbrt1

Nov 18, 2012
Download file from here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fixhl34x7qr13v6/1125.zip?dl=0

Copy entire 1125.zip folder to desktop

Extract 1125.zip to desktop

Install PdaNetA4170.exe driver ( This should allow you to transfer files with Fastboot )

This is Version 4.17 installer for Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (both 32/64bit)

Extract CWM recovery img_1125 folder to desktop by itself ( Do not remove any files from this folder )

Move zip files from zips folder to micro sd card and insert sd into tablet ( leave these in zip format !! )

coby_gapps.zip

coby_mid1125-seed-0012.zip

Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

Also move apks from apks folder to MicroSD card

Uni-init+v1.0.apk

Google_Play_serv.ices-signe.d .apk

Busybox.apk

Link2sd.apk

and

market-helper-2.0-beta.apk (this will allow spoofing of market for not compatible apps)

Open cmd window

( menu , run , when window opens , enter “cmd” without quotes )

Cd to directory

ie ,

type in window

cd desktop , ( enter )

cd CWM recovery img_1125 ( enter )

Now place 1125 into fastboot mode , power ( or reset button ) and volume down , tablet will show fastboot mode in lower left corner

Plug in usb cable to pc and tablet

Then in cmd prompt type

fastboot boot recovery.img ( enter )

It will show some stuff , flash ok and done ok

Tablet should boot to CWM give it a moment to do so ( You will see CWM Recovery Top hat and such )

Volume up is up , Volume down is down , Home ( Silver Button ) is select

Go to and select flash zip from sd card

This will pull up menu of following zip files

Flash each zip file

coby_mid1125-seed-0012.zip

coby_gapps.zip

Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

Select reboot

Tablet will boot ,again give it a moment ( You will see Coby and then Android splash screen )

Select language from first screen ( as it will be in Dutch ), finish setup of tablet

Open ES File Explorer , go to tools setting in ES File Explorer and select

“Root Explorer” to on , allow when Super User prompt shows , this will prove SU is installed and working

Open ES File Explorer , Select sdcard top right , Select storage

Install Google_Play_serv.ices-signe.d .apk ( To sync Play Store )

Install Busybox.apk

Install Link2sd.apk

Install Uni-init+v1.0.apk

Open Uni-init+v1.0.apk , install intd support

( you will need busybox installed first for this to work )

You now have working Play Store , Superuser and Android 4.1 with Intd support

For Extended memory ,( You need this )

Increase Internal Memory by Link2SD : Min 2 GB microSD

In order to add memory to Coby 1125, your micro SD card used for install will need to be formatted

Copy all files you wish to keep from micro SD to desktop as it will be wiped

• Backup all your files on memory card.
  • Go into the Recovery Mode ( as above , fastboot boot recovery.img ) ( Your operating system will be fine )
  • Make a nandroid backup at this time
  • Select “Advanced”, and then choose “Partition SD Card”.
  • Then Choose your size ( if you have a 2GB Memory Card, choose 512 MB, and if you have a 4 GB Memory card, you can choose 1024 MB, ext ).
  • Select 0 Swap.
  • Wait for the process to finish, and then select Reboot
You’ve just made a partition on your memory card, and its ready to use.

Now follow the steps below for Link2SD

• Open Link2SD. You will be prompted to choose between ext2,ext3,ext4 and FAT32.
  • Choose ext2
C:\Users\ELECTR~1.DIN\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

• Select OK ,
  • It will then say, “Mount Script Created”.
  • Now you Reboot your Tablet
  • Open Link2SD again, if any message does not appear ,it means you succeeded.
  • Go to Link2SD > Setting( far right top icon ) scroll down > Check the autolink. (to automatically move apps upon installation).
If you already have some apps listed , select “create link” ( be sure to check the files: app, dalvic-cache, and library files).

Move to SD option only moves app to SD it does not link them

Now to check the memory, select “Storage Info” . this will be showing you up the current status of your internal memory.

You should see as below SD Card 2nd Part

C:\Users\ELECTR~1.DIN\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

To move a system App you can long press App , it will pull up menu , select convert to user App let it do its thing

Select App again and it will open option to create link as installed user apps do

So far I have moved Calculator , VPN , Music FX , ES File Explorer and Sound Recorder with no issue

Use Link2Sd and (long press) on SystemUpdate.apk ( /system/app/SystemUpdate.apk ) and freeze app.

This will stop System Update from happening at random moments or on reboot

There is no Update to install though the System thinks so (without freezing it will continue to show updates available)