Coby Kyros mid1042 rooted with google play store v3.10.10

texlaws

Jan 2, 2013
I just rooted my Coby Kyros mid1042 rooted with google play store v3.10.10. It took me some time but it is better now, that I have play store. I made a quick step by step. The rooting was easy, but the play store took me some time.
I used these programs for rooting you can find most of them, but I will post at a later time.
SuperOneClickv2.3.3
unlockroot23-eng
Files needed Superuser.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, OneTimeInitializer.apk,SetupWizard.apk, and Vending.apk, which was renamed from play store v3.10.10
You will need "ES File Manager" installed

First, I reset coby mid1042, then hooked up wi-fi,

To start, go to Developer Options and turn on USB Debugging and hook up cable to your computer. I then started SuperOneClick 2.3.3, and click the Advance tab on top, then clickcheck driver, if you need to load the driver, then go back to the general tab and click root. If it stops or freezes at step 7, that is ok, just force close the program and open unlockroot23-eng and it will finish the job. Once unlockroot23-eng open (NOTE:you could get a script error, just clickoutt of it) click root and it should find your tablet. A box "Choose a connection device" will pop up click your device. (NOTE: if you have rooted before pop ups will come up, just choose root again). It will ask you to load other apps, you pick, for i said no to all, then it will ask you to reboot, click yes and you are rooted.
You need to make sure Superuser is installed on the tablet,if not, then you will need to install the Superuser.apk. With your cable connected go to tablet and click the clock and click "usb connected tab", and click "turn on USB storage", and ok. Go to computer, On computer a pop-up will show, click"open folder to view files". Open the Download folder and copySuperuser.apk to it, if you want Google play now is a good time to put those files in as well. I put the whole file in it, named "Android Market on cobymid1042", with GoogleServicesFramework.apk, OneTimeInitializer.apk, SetupWizard.apk,and Vending.apk inside of it. (NOTE: Vending.apk is Google play.apk v3.10.10) .Onceyou are done go to coby turn off usb storage and click out of it (home),now go to apps open "Es File Explorer" and check for updates and update it if needed,once done reopen and it will open in /sdcard/, click download and click Superuser.apk and load it. once done go back to apps a check to see if it is loaded and turn off tablet and restart it. Once rebooted open "Es File Explorer" and open settings, scroll down, then open "Root Settings". Make sure you everything is checked, Check ROOTEXPLORER choose yes and allow for superuser, Check the UP TO ROOT, and check the MOUNT FILESYSTEM. All should be checked, if you want to get Google play. Once done go back,to get out of settings, you should now be in /sccard/again, now hit the backbutton one more time and you should be in the root of your tablet. (NOTE: if you see a file named system then you are in the root dir.)
This will get Google play Market on coby mid1042,open"Es File Explorer" you need togo to /sdcard/download/Android Market on coby mid1042/ or where you place those files. Load the three droid apks in this order, OneTimeInitializer, SetupWizard,then GoogleServicesFramework. (NOTE: make sure they install successfully ). You will need to copy the Vending.apk, (NOTE: find "play store v3.10.10" and rename it Vending.apk ) once copied hit the back button 3 times to get to root and click system, click app, youshould be in /system/app/ now past Vending.apk and scroll down to make sure yousee it, now shut down and reboot. When you reboot you will be asked to start with two options Launcher or Setup Wizard, you want to pick Launcher, but make sure you check mark "Use by default for this action". Make sure wi-fi is on and go to APPS open Google play it should ask you for you GMAIL account, try to login, if you could not login reboot and it will let you. You are done!
Tex@laws

Last edited:

kovd1

Jan 4, 2013
Do you have a good copy of superoneclick tried multiple times and it gets to step #5 and says unable to chmod nothing follows. thanks

adlucato

Jan 21, 2013
Thank you OP, this worked perfectly on my mid1042. I am completely new to the android world and this was by far the simplest process I found after a lot of research that would help me install the play store.

I would say the most tedious part of the process was finding the correct files to download because there were many different variations and I wasn't sure which would work. I found all the files by googling them, but the googleservicesframework.apk gave me a hard time when it came to getting it installed. Turns out I was using the wrong file. So in case you are a beginner, these are the approximate sizes of the files that worked for me:

vending.apk = 5.9 MB
superuser.zip = 670 KB
googleservicesframework.apk = 2.1 MB
onetimeinitializer = 8.1 KB
setupwizard.apk = 580 KB

zkornecki

Feb 8, 2013
Followed Texlaw's instructions and everything installed fine. however every time I try to install something from the Google market (it doesn't self update to Google play) I get an error message stating Google market has stopped. Any suggestions on what needs changing/tweaking.
Thanks
Zb

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
I would love to flash that rom but I can't get CWM recovery on this thing.

I'm trying to understand this tutorial, so since I'm rooted at this point I just need to put those APK's in the appropriate folders?

nobi

Mar 5, 2013
Which GoogleServicesFramework.apk do I need? Which one works with this, mine keeps force closing when I try to add an account. If you can email it that would be awesome [email protected]

loglive

Apr 27, 2013
Thank you, your guide was the one that helped me install play store on the same tablet. It took a while though, I wrote down my journey throught this process on another forum, hopefully searchable by "journey to routing my android tablet from my windows 7 laptop", there were a few of other resources that I put together. ES file explorer was the key and I must say that the latest version is different from your guide and someone else updated those steps. Nonetheless, I used the whole gapps package for ICS4.0.3 rather then those .apk files.
The result is a working play store seen as unknown maker for MID1042 model. Thus some crucial apps don't work, such as google maps, fongo voip, comodo antivirus and so on. Is there a way I can register my device in my google account so that I can get access to those apps?

The .apk files have to be copied in the right place to work, not just launched from some folder on the SDcard. For this you need to use the updated version of ES file explorer and be rooted. It shouldn't be so hard, I explained how it worked for me in that journey.

With regards to the hotspot issue and flashing custom ROMs, seems to me that it's riskier and harder than this. Makes more sense to get rooted, Android market installed with Clockworkmod recovery handy then flash other ROMs that may or may not work flawlessly.

Last edited:

TheDwarf

May 8, 2013
Hello,

I am a bitter man having a problem that you might be able to solve. So i am requesting your help.

THE ERROR:
I rooted a MID1042. Now the launcher won't start anymore, the software home-shaped button does not work nor does the silver-hardware button react. --> i got no desktop anymore. The rest of the tablet works fine, i can enter the Settings, it connects to w-lan and it even installs update through the playstore. However i am not able to open any apps without a desktop.

The Tab shows the initial start screen when started. It says: "Welcome to MID1042 .. Touch the android to begin" by clicking the android another window appears saying "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped." by clicking that the Welcome Screen appears again...

Picture Welcome Screen
Picture Fail-Screen

THE STORYLINE:
I rooted the Tablet using the instructions below. ( Thanks to Texlaws for the nice Tut!)
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...1042-rooted-google-play-store-v3-10-10-a.html

In the middle of it i made a mistake by copying all the files into the /system/app folder instead of only the "vending.apk"
so i replaced in mistake:
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
OneTimeIntitializer.apk
SetupWizard.apk
Superuser.apk (well, added not replaced)

After following the rest of the instructions correctly i was able to install the playstore and i could even install apps through it. Sadly after restarting it the error above showed up.
-Immediately tried to restore the Tablet using the Stock recovery mode via the settings
-Nothing changed

In addition to that i found the recover instructions from vampirefo.
Link: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

- I took the latest recovery and flashed it trough the stock recovery
- nothing changed

I somehow get acces to the playstore occasionally when it updates an app. If so i am able to open apps from the playstore.

A GUESS:
The Setupwizard.apk may be corrupted and has to be replaced ?
Sadly i cant open the ESfilemanager or got the original setupwizard.apk

I really hope someone there can help me!

Greetings from Germany

TheDwarf

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've replied to TheDwarf on his thread here regarding his problem. I haven't replied to this thread because as an alternative root method it seems to work well for the people who use it. I want to point out however that there are other means of getting the Play Store on the tablet. The method we recommend is, depending on the tablet, removing unused files from /system/app and installing the ICS Google apps package from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps through ClockworkMod.

tbarko

Aug 20, 2013
I've replied to TheDwarf on his thread here regarding his problem. I haven't replied to this thread because as an alternative root method it seems to work well for the people who use it. I want to point out however that there are other means of getting the Play Store on the tablet. The method we recommend is, depending on the tablet, removing unused files from /system/app and installing the ICS Google apps package from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps through ClockworkMod.

Appreciate this. Definitely interested in your recommended method, however I tried to d/l the ClockworkMod ROM Manager (I assume that's what you were referring to) on my Coby tablet and it said it was only available thru Google play!??! A bit of a catch 22. Could you please elaborate. I am new to tablets and Android apps. Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Clearly by your assumption you didn't read the sticky properly, if at all. If I had wanted you to download ROM Manager I would have provided a link to it in the sticky. I didn't, therefore simple reasoning says I didn't want you to download it.

Clockworkmod is a recovery image. ROM Manager is an app. The former is readily available here in the forums. The latter doesn't work on the Coby because the online database it accesses to download the proper recovery doesn't have Coby in it.