Coby Kyros MID7015 Tablet Reviews

rhk111

Jun 13, 2011
My Coby Kyros MID7015 Tablet Review Part One

Bought the Coby Kyros MID7015 tablet at the SM Appliance Center as a gift for a dear Aunt, after she asked for one after getting addicted playing with my iPad. I tried the other China-tablets, they were cheaper, but in terms of software and support, they are a bit haphazard, at best.

'Physical Attributes'
The Kyros is about 1.5 thicker than the iPad 2, but because of its smaller screen size, it is about 3/4 as heavy. It is pretty light, thanks to its small size and plastic contruction, though the unit didn't feel "plasticky" at all to me.

The set comes with a charger, USB cable, manuals (pretty good ones, also) and a plastic wrap-around case. The one button on the lower middle part of the screen is not a "Home" button, it is a "Back" button. What should be the ringer doesn't function like one, instead one side is the "Home" button, while the other side is another "Back" button.

Volume adjustment is instead done on the Notification Bar, where the Volume plus and minus signs are shown.

Technical details can be found on the official website of the unit: COBY - Kyros™ Internet Touchscreen Tablet. To summarize the technical details, it has a 800 Mhz processor, 4GB internal memory but with Micro SD card support expandable up to 16GB maximum; A 7", 800 x 480 pixel screen, and runs on Android 2.1.

The OS and other stuff takes up about 2.5GB of the internal memory, leaving you with only about 1.5GB of memory for other stuff.

'Display and Touchscreen'
The unit's touchscreen of course is a far cry from an iPad's touchscreen, but surprisingly it is pretty decent. For example, it is much better in terms of response compared to the resistive touchscreen of my Nokia 5800.

With an iPad, a soft touch of the screen and swipe and the screen goes, seemingly attached to your fingertip at the slightest connection. With this unit, you have to learn a firmer, slower response time. You have to be a bit more patient, as in press for about half a second, then drag up, down, or sideways.

As for the screen's brightness and picture quality, it is a far cry from that of the iPads. However, I feel it is comparable to your typical celphone, like that of my SE X10 Mini, for example.

'General Performance'
The unit performed generally well, no hassle in terms of operation. Wifi connection, for example, was fast, and easy. Out of the box, it only has Android's AppLib, which has only about 3,000 apps and games (compared to the Android Market's 100,000+), but I was still able to find some decent games to install and play with.

I downloaded "Hangman", "Solitaire" and "Glow Hockey". In these games, the touchscreen performance was good enough. However, I did notice that on "Glow Hockey", even with the setting at "Easy", there was a slowdown of the puck and handles as I played with it. That's the 800Mhz processor showing a bit of its limitations.

'Poor Battery and Return'
There was one major issue, though, that forced me to return the unit and ask for a replacement, and that is the battery. When I charged it, I was surprised that the battery went full after only about thirty minutes. However, when I removed the charger, the battery immediately drained to about 20% after only a minute or so.

So I returned the unit immediately, and they promised that a new one will be available by the evening of Monday, June 13, 2011.

'First Impressions'
Although my experience with the unit was cut, I felt that it was a pretty decent tablet. The box and manuals showed a lot of polish, not the ones you would find with the China-iPad clones.

The resistive touchscreen was pretty serviceable, and I could play some of the games like drag and drop Solitaire pretty decently. I was surprised with the 7" display, it does seem to be just enough for you to enjoy the games. And its smaller size gives it better portability than any iPad. I think its a mistake if Samsung is, indeed, phasing out its 7" Galaxy Tabs in favor of larger screens. I think 7" is an ideal size for tablets.

Everything worked very well, except for the battery. The unit sort of reminded me of my Android celphones, but with a larger screen. That 800Mhz processor is faster than the 600Mhz processor on my SE X10, but it seems to have done a passable job with the Kyros. I feel that as long as I stay away from complex, sophisticated 3D games which require a lot of processing power, I think the unit should be okay.

We will know more once I get a better unit, which I plan to root, and install the Android Market on.

Apr 28, 2011
Glad you wrote this review, most people still wanting to buy, hopefully this will help motivate them.

Well, first off, this is no iPad. The price is 1/5 of the iPad's (~$150) which means it will not necessarily be as well. In most cases, it falls behind the iPad. If you want something 'PRO' then spend ~$500-800 on something good, not this. Which I am not telling you not to buy this, if you expect high expectations from a tablet (fast, multi-touch, and many other 'high-dollar' things, this is not the right tablet for you.

For my purposes, it works good. (E-mail, Facebook, some gaming, small internet browsing, and many other things) It may be a little laggy at times, but usually letting it sit a few seconds will resolve the lag problem when it occurs.

Also you may be judging your review off of the stock rooted ROM, which is horrible. I few hours worth of time, and a little bit of hard work will get you a lot more badass tablet. I am currently running tipstir's HCV15.0-B22 ACADEV ROM (blows stock off charts). It is much faster, and more responsive than the stock.

Also, there are many more upgrades for this tablet (this is where this tablet makes the iPad look like it's bit*h) You can put custom ROM's on it (HC, Watery, Cyanogen, others) which make it faster. Most currently worked on is HC and it is my favorite.
You can really 'step it up' and install a new IMG (Gingerbread 2.3, HC hybrid, what others are out there idk). That significantly improves everything on this tablet. It is faster, and battery life is way good, compared to stock.

This tablet in my opinion is better than a iPad because:
1) its cheaper $150 compared to ~$600
2) more customize-able: ROM's and IMG's
3) Android is way better than Apple (able to do more, apple keeps you locked up :(, android is more open)
4) able to add more permanant memory (micro sdcard) (iPad is a bit*h and wont let you do that)
5) able to attach keyboard or usb device (adapter included and dont have to buy attachment)
6) able to connect to HDMI without anything but a HDTV and a HDMI cord (iPad requires an attachment that you have to pay for)
7) smaller and more portable (screen may be smaller, but better for mobile. iPad screen is too large to use anywhere but sitting down or dumb stuff like that)
8) physical back button (iPads is always on the screen and the COBY has a back and home button)

It is worse than an iPad because:
1) Processor is worse
2) Battery life is worse (even with the 2.3 installed which has best battery life so far)
3) No camera (iPad 2 only counts for this one)
4) internal speaker better (I am not sure of the iPads internal speaker but the 1 in the MID7015 sucks!)
5) better screen (resolution and its capacitive so its multi-touch)
6) Overall faster and more responsive (more expensive tablet, better in speed and processors)
7) physical volume button (nice to have, but screen volume works too)

I do not own an iPad, but have used one and read alot about them. I have had an iPod touch so I kno how apple works. These are my opinions how the COBY is better and worse than the iPad based on my experiences with both tablets. If I left something out, then I probably did not kno about it, or did not think of it when typing this. If you think of something, just add to the thread.

I guess this is kind of a review of the tablet without going into detail.
Hope you all enjoy reading this :)

rhk111

Jun 13, 2011
My Coby Kyros MID7015 Tablet Review Part Two

'Replacement Unit'
I got the replacement for my Coby Kyros MID7015, and it was a brand new unit, sealed with QC Marking on the circular tape on both ends of the box. Out of the box, the unit had around 50% charge, and it lasted a couple of hours of heavy use, mainly downloading stuff, going thru the rooting and installation of the Google Market Place.

I charged the unit for a couple of hours, and it seems to work fine, none of the quick charge, quick discharge problem I had before.

The set also came with some additional instructions I didn't see before with the previous set, the most important one is the one saying that using the resistive screen is best done by using the tips of your fingernails (and not the pad of your fingers as you would with capacitive screens). Works great, especially with typing using the onscreen keyboard.

'Rooting and Google Market Place Installation'
I managed to successfully root and install the Google Market Place on my unit using the instructions from Post number 70 from this thread post: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-7015a-step-step-process-7.html#post55881.

The whole process is definitely not for the faint of heart, as it is a long process, and things can and do go wrong. Also, no matter how good the instructions are, I don't think it can capture all of the minute details of the whole process. Ideally, a video instruction would've been most helpful, but that take a bit more effort to do and edit, and I haven't found a good one for this topic yet (at least one which shows this particular set of instructions).

When things go wrong, or some steps are a bit unclear, then you will have to rely on your instincts and past experience to pull you thru. I have been lucky that I have done some celphone modding in the past, and this had helped me go thru some of the bumps in the road towards the rooting and Google Market Place installation.

For example, after step 15 in the link, my unit did not boot on. I kept on reading the rest of the posts, and got the idea to hit the "Reset" button at the back of the unit. Problem solved, but lost some anxious minutes there.

I also had a bit of a problem with knowing if the commands worked on the Tablet Emulator (steps 11-14). The important thing to remember is that first, you need to see if the line prefix changes from "$" to "#". That would signal that you are in the Super User mode. Next is that you need to see the keyboard popup so you can type on the screen. If these does not happen, then you need to keep going in and out of the Tablet Emulator.

Another problem was inputting the commands on Step 15. Make sure to copy every letter, and every SPACE between the commands. Also remember that there should be no output when you hit the "Enter" command. If there is, then something is wrong, just go out and in of the Tablet Emulator again.

The last problem was navigating thru the ClockworkMod Recovery mode screen. The important thing to remember, is that you use what should be the ringer to navigate and go thru the menus. One side navigates the options, while the other side enters or chooses the option.

'Google Market Place Problems'
Everything after that went smoothly, and I was able to browse the Android Market for about half an hour or so, and started downloading apps and games. But here came another problem: I could not download the apps and games for some reason. They just got sort of stuck on the downloading page, with the downloads not starting at all.

I am, however able to download apps and games thru AppLib, so for now I am staying with that. I was thinking of removing the Google Market Place installation, but I like the GMail and Facebook apps that came with it, so I am keeping it as of now, and hoping that a solution will come up soon about the Android Market issue.

'AppLib'
Being stuck with AppLib is not so bad, but not so good either. There are good apps and games also there, just not as good or extensive as the one on the Android Market. The Solitaire game, for example, doesn't keep the settings when you start a new game.

AppLib is also frustrating as it is mandatory to have a PayPal account to link to when registering. If you don't link, you can't log in properly, so in this case, I just decided not to log in altogether.

fujimarcus

Jun 18, 2011
long time reader, first time poster here. its good to see that there is someone from my country posting such a good review for this awesome but underrated coby kyros. i was able to flash my coby to android gb 2.3.1 and believe me, it will boost your cobys functionality at its best in every way that you can possibly imagine. :p well thats just my 2 cents.

Apr 28, 2011
Also think about what tipstir is doing to make this tablet put out even better standards than 2.3.1. It will blow many other tablets of the charts for functionality for the price!

rossjhsn

Dec 28, 2010
When rooting, installing ROMs etc takeyour time and ask questions and you will be successful. For intance I got really frustrated at one point installing Gingerbread 2.2.3, only to find out I was pressing the big silverbutton when I should have been pressing the side "home" button. The new Honeycmb over Gingerbread is worth some pain and the time, very fast and smooth. The programmers supporting this tablet are awesome, providing support for free and for fun that would normally cost hundreds of dollars. This was a lucky Xmas buy for me. RJ

Sent from my KYROS 7015 using Android Tablet Forum

vanjhelion

Mar 21, 2011
Since your still with the original rom, you may want to install the graphics fix to fix graphic issues.

Sent from my KYROS 7015 using Android Tablet Forum

jantanik

Aug 8, 2011
Great post! I would like to thank rhk111 for sharing the valuable information. Good stuff in your post, its really nice to see this post. Keep sharing more.