Coby Kyros MID7022 dies shortly after boot

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
So, I successfully backed up and rooted my MID7022. Then I installed the Cyanogen Mod 7, which also went well. This ROM, however, doesn't seem actively developed, so I decided to try the other mods.

Stock restoration via CWM5 was successful, but the tablet turns itself off shortly after boot. About a minute or so.

The touch screen also fails on first boot. Hitting the power button twice restores the touch screen. Calibration app is no help.

If I reinstall Cyanogen Mod 7, the touchscreen and power behave again. This suggests Cyannogen Mod changed something the recovery image does not restore. ?

I've gone through this cycle a few times and it seems my recovery, and recovery through the use of others' images have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Oxmyx

Last edited:

DieBagger

Feb 15, 2012
I had the same problem, what helped for me was to restore to the stock backup with the clockwork recovery backup&restore function...

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks, but I've been using CWM and no luck. Did you do anything else differently?

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
Have you gone in under Settings and changed the screen timeout. My 1024 came set to 1 minute on the stock rom.

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
Yup, had it set for 10 minutes.

Note that when I say "it dies", I mean it powers off completely.

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
So, I just tried the FWDN tool from Winders. (Not touching the fwtool as that supposedly ruins the touchscreen firmware.)

CM7 installed fine with FWDN, but no touch screen. :/ Mouse works fine.

Tried stock recovery again via clockwork mod, same problem, shuts off within a minute of boot.

*I followed directions*

Now looking for stock fwdn image...

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks, nba1341, I actually tried a stock image from a dropbox link earlier this week, but the TS still didn't work and it continued to turn off sporadically. I never used the fwtool, so it's not that.

Actually, it's a complete brick now. It died in the middle of a fwdn lk.rom update, no more boot. Given the accounts of failure with this device, I'm just going to give up on it. Anyone want a bricked Coby MID7022? (No big loss, I knew the risks, but learned a lot. :) )

I've got an A10 tablet on order (Ainol Novo7 Aurora ~$180) and reviews look good.

Nice thing is the processor is open sourced: A1x - eLinux.org

Unsurprisingly, this CPU has been chosen as the first CPU for an Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/PCMCIA CPU module by Rhombus Tech. The critical decisive factor however was the immediate support of Allwinner's Board of Directors for releasing full GPL Source Code, to help the RHT Initiative to foster better relations and closer ties with Free Software Developers.

And apparently they can't be bricked: Hack A10 devices - eLinux.org

So, sounds like I'll be able to build some kernels and custom roms with much less risk. :)

Oxmyx

Feb 15, 2012
For those still with unbricked Coby MID7022's, have a look at this:
$2012-02-16_14-48-53_717.jpg
That looks like a USB port to me. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb

I'll bet you've got enough room to solder in a tiny USB stick. There's room by the speaker...

Use one of these adapters and you'll get a 2nd micro card slot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139527

Naturally, you'll have to remove the cover to change it, but you can use it for permanent storage while freeing up your external USB and micro card slots.

--assuming it works--

There are also places for buttons on the reverse side, near the main button and near the rocker. One could hack some holes/buttons into the back cover and use them for navigation/volume, maybe?

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
That new tablet you are getting looks really nice (the Ainol Novo7 Aurora). I have grown tired of the 7022 because coby still has not released the firmware and no real development can be made. I have been looking for a tablet that can actually be customized and it already has ics on it. Higher resolution screen should be nice too.

lyofilth666

Sep 7, 2012
I thought the same thing so I read your post wrong flashastes left only files but only volves fwdn cm 7: S files you just get the wires the way;)