Coby Kyros MID7024 Shipments Silently Begin - Budget Android 2.2 Cortex A8 Tablet

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
h6Sjel.jpg

There is a new player in the mid-range American Android tablet market - the Coby Kyros MID7024. It is powered by a Samsung S5PV210 ARM Cortex A8 processor at 1GHz, has 512MB RAM, and runs Android 2.2.

It is the hardware equivalent of the Nexus One and Nook Color, but comes with a resistive touchscreen. However, the price is just $166.47, making it the least expensive tablet with a Cortex A8 processor in the market. The comparable device on the Android tablet market is the Creative ZiiO 7, which is currently $248 on Amazon.com with matching specifications. The hardware is sufficient to run Adobe Flash, according to the official Adobe requirements for Adobe Flash on Android systems.

Despite Amazon indefinitely pulling the lineup of new Coby Android 2.3 tablets originally available for pre-order early this month, a different model with seemingly identical specifications have begun to ship. Beach Audio via Amazon Marketplace has the Coby Kyros MID7024 available now. Beach Audio customer support has confirmed that the product has been just made available, and is available for shipment immediately.

According to CobyUSA, the other key specifications on the MID7024 are as follows: wifi b/g, front-facing camera, resistive display, 7-inch with a 800x480 screen resolution, HDMI supporting 720p and 1080p video output, microSD slot, and 4GB of built-in flash memory.

Coby has neglected to list the available RAM on the device, but Coby technical support confirms that the device has 512MB of RAM. Technical support is unable to confirm if the touchscreen supports more than a single touchpoint.

Coby Kyros tablets do not ship with Google Mobile applications such as the Google Market or Gmail. However, the MID7015 and MI7005 have seen easy after-market modifications that allowed for the installation of the applications to greatly enhance the overall user experience. It may seem that some members have actually received their tablets, so you can follow their conversation here. Getting the applications to work on the MID7024 may have to wait for more technically inclined users to jump into the fray.

The S5PV210 SoC has been found applications in shanzhai tablets by Shenzhen Aishuo dating back to early this year, and by Shenzhen Urbetter.

With regards to GPL compliance, no associated GPL source code for the MID7024 can be found on the webpage of Coby Electronics. Coby has had a poor track record for GPL compliance, and it would appear that this is going to be yet another violation by Coby.

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
I'm extremely happy with my Kyros 7015 tablet and I cant wait to get one of the new ones. I'm actually going to wait for the 2.3 tabs to come out and maybe wait some more 'till the fall, for the prices to drop.

btw, this tablet has been nothing but great to me and the other members that frequntly post on the Coby forum.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
"Technical support is unable to confirm if the touchscreen supports more than a single touchpoint."

Perhaps a clue as to what awaits you as an owner.

Golly.

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
Actually, i have called technical support and they were nothing but great on the phone...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It's a rather strange question to ask... I wasn't expecting them to know necessarily... Most people assume that resistive screens only are capable of handling a single touchpoint. I just happen to know that the dual touchpoint resistive touchscreens have been gaining in popularity in China. Would have been a nice feature.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
h6Sjel.jpg

There is a new player in the mid-range American Android tablet market - the Coby Kyros MID7024. It is powered by a Samsung S5PV210 ARM Cortex A8 processor at 1GHz, has 512MB RAM, and runs Android 2.2.

It is the hardware equivalent of the Nexus One and Nook Color, but comes with a resistive touchscreen. However, the price is just $166.47, making it the least expensive tablet with a Cortex A8 processor in the market. The comparable device on the Android tablet market is the Creative ZiiO 7, which is currently $248 on Amazon.com with matching specifications. The hardware is sufficient to run Adobe Flash, according to the official Adobe requirements for Adobe Flash on Android systems.

Despite Amazon indefinitely pulling the lineup of new Coby Android 2.3 tablets originally available for pre-order early this month, a different model with seemingly identical specifications have begun to ship. Beach Audio via Amazon Marketplace has the Coby Kyros MID7024 available now. Beach Audio customer support has confirmed that the product has been just made available, and is available for shipment immediately.

According to CobyUSA, the other key specifications on the MID7024 are as follows: wifi b/g, front-facing camera, resistive display, 7-inch with a 800x480 screen resolution, HDMI supporting 720p and 1080p video output, microSD slot, and 4GB of built-in flash memory.

Coby has neglected to list the available RAM on the device, but Coby technical support confirms that the device has 512MB of RAM. Technical support is unable to confirm if the touchscreen supports more than a single touchpoint.

Coby Kyros tablets do not ship with Google Mobile applications such as the Google Market or Gmail. However, the MID7015 and MI7005 have seen easy after-market modifications that allowed for the installation of the applications to greatly enhance the overall user experience. It may seem that some members have actually received their tablets, so you can follow their conversation here. Getting the applications to work on the MID7024 may have to wait for more technically inclined users to jump into the fray.

The S5PV210 SoC has been found applications in shanzhai tablets by Shenzhen Aishuo dating back to early this year, and by Shenzhen Urbetter.

With regards to GPL compliance, no associated GPL source code for the MID7024 can be found on the webpage of Coby Electronics. Coby has had a poor track record for GPL compliance, and it would appear that this is going to be yet another violation by Coby.

I just bought the MID7015 a few months ago and I have been thrilled with the "hot rod" that this community has turned it in to. I'm afraid it will be some time before I can justify getting a second tablet but fortunately for me by that time I'm sure the developers will have figured out all of the best ways to MOD it and build different ROMs. Really very excited with the upgrades that they've made and if that bit about 512Mb of RAM is true than I can't wait to hear what everyone does with it. The camera sounds at least promising for Skype uses. All in all I think this is going to be a good tablet. Can't wait to read more.

Sketch J O'Brien
Jacksonville, FL

iiDUR

Apr 26, 2011
I just bought the MID7015 a few months ago and I have been thrilled with the "hot rod" that this community has turned it in to. I'm afraid it will be some time before I can justify getting a second tablet but fortunately for me by that time I'm sure the developers will have figured out all of the best ways to MOD it and build different ROMs. Really very excited with the upgrades that they've made and if that bit about 512Mb of RAM is true than I can't wait to hear what everyone does with it. The camera sounds at least promising for Skype uses. All in all I think this is going to be a good tablet. Can't wait to read more.

Sketch J O'Brien
Jacksonville, FL

I'm so pissed that I just learned about this model, two weeks after getting the MID7015 for only $7 dollars less. At least your comment makes me feel, if only a bit, like the right choice at the time.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I've owned the COBY KYROS 7005, and now own two of the 7015 versions. I enjoy using the 7015 taking it along with me to boring parties or waiting at the doctor, dentist or barber places. Instead of just siting there falling asleep. But rest assured those of you who have I'll keep on supporting until the very end.

iiDUR

Apr 26, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I really like my MID7015. Once rooted, browsing with Dolphin HD and writing with SlideIT, along with a few other nice applications make it worth getting. But I can't get over the fact of not having done enough research and just getting it, instead of the better model at roughly the same price-tag.

My apologies for all that whining. However, now I know I'm more than likely gonna buy another tablet in the next few weeks, mostly because I want one with a camera. I hope these below $200. tablets are OK for skyping.

newtech4u

Sep 28, 2010
the tablet of S5PV210 has good face, but for the price , it is expensive than dropad a8, the a8 tablet only $179