Coby MID 8042, Installing CW Recovery Problems

Jan 2, 2013
Just recently received a coby mid 8042 tablet as a gift had used it stock for a while now the bug to modify it has bitten.:) I have been following the instructions of this thread.http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/45321-read-first-development-index-root-utility.html

The problem I have run in to is that I cant get cw recovery to install I have received no errors ADB seems to find the file in its data directory but when the tablet reboots i still get the what i think is the default android recovery menu. On the screen there is a image of the android robot on its back with a red triangle above it I can open a recovery menu by pushing the vol button. Know i am doing something wrong so I thought I would ask you android experts for a little help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Make sure you have the filenames correct, and make sure you renamed the files correctly. Otherwise the scripts won't find the recovery, yet will cheerfully tell you that you were successful.

Jan 2, 2013
I placed the copy of the stock dump folder in the data folder of coby adb and renamed the dump folder stock_recovery.img there are 4 files in the folder. I unzipped the 8042 recovery file in to its own folder in the data folder and named it cwm_recovery.img there are 3 files in the folder. That is how I placed the files on the data folder. Do I need to rename the file them selves?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The .img.files within the zips are what you need to rename. They are also the only things that go into the root utility data directory. The root utility data directory should not be renamed and it should have no folders located within it.

Jan 2, 2013
The .img.files within the zips are what you need to rename. They are also the only things that go into the root utility data directory. The root utility data directory should not be renamed and it should have no folders located within it.

OK I removed the 2 folders I took the recovery.img from the system dump and renamed it to stock_recovery.img placed it in the cobyadb data folder took the recovey img from the clockwork mod zip and renamed it to cwm_recovery.img placed it in the data folder as well. tried to install it again still get the stock recovery.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Do you have extensions visible on Windows? If you don't, make them visible since a double extension will mean the script will not find the recovery.

Jan 2, 2013
Do you have extensions visible on Windows? If you don't, make them visible since a double extension will mean the script will not find the recovery.

I checked that and sure enough there where double extensions. re ran the script and get this error when trying to install cwm failed to copy data/stock_recovery.img to data/local/tmp/stock_recovery.img : is a directory

jdspecv

Jan 23, 2013
I checked that and sure enough there where double extensions. re ran the script and get this error when trying to install cwm failed to copy data/stock_recovery.img to data/local/tmp/stock_recovery.img : is a directory
so what was your result? I also do not get a positive instal of the cwm recovery. looking at some other threads in my search. but this thread should be resoved so such will be my quest. I have # root access. not a linux guy, but i can follow insructions and i am good with dos.. I feel like I should be able to install this with a terminal emu from my tablet.. Any help would be usefull. i have tryed everything and must be missing something. Thanks in advance.

Jan 2, 2013
so what was your result? I also do not get a positive instal of the cwm recovery. looking at some other threads in my search. but this thread should be resoved so such will be my quest. I have # root access. not a linux guy, but i can follow insructions and i am good with dos.. I feel like I should be able to install this with a terminal emu from my tablet.. Any help would be usefull. i have tryed everything and must be missing something. Thanks in advance.

Still have had no luck Im going to un root the tablet and start the prosses agin to make sure I did not miss somthing.:(

jdspecv

Jan 23, 2013
Still have had no luck Im going to un root the tablet and start the prosses agin to make sure I did not miss somthing.:(
ok.. I think someone on here can help... tell me where i need to start . I am using Window 8. it has been a challenge just getting it to recognize adb. i have read the stickies have managed root and backup of nand.. just want cw so i can back it up. willing to start from fresh.. ive done it twice.. i must be missing something.. where are you stuck?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Windows 8 is your problem. Upgrade to Windows 7 or Linux, as ADB currently isn't working well, if at all, on Windows 8. At worst, install either of the aforementioned operating systems to a virtual drive in VMWare or VirtualBox.

For the record, I have no intention of supporting Windows 8. I do not have it, will never install it, and want absolutely nothing to do with it.