Coby Mid7014 -TONS of problems and issues - please help me before I smash this thing.

psmalley

Mar 23, 2012
Hi there,

Where to begin? I'm exasperated with this thing and ready to see how long it would take my 5 year old to destroy it with a mallet.

After days of futzing and fiddling I managed to root the thing and get the market to work. But in doing so I think I caused more problems than I solved, so I attempted to revert back to factory and start over, but now I'm halfway between rooted and stock and none of the problems I have with this thing are resolved. Here are the problems I'm having in no particular order:

1. Many of my apps including things that should run and do run just great on my Huawei Ascend II (which is a gutless wonder compared to most devices) such as Angry Birds Seasons and Space, Bejeweled, Chuzzle, etc either refuse to open at all or just crash and drop me back to the home or apps screen within a few seconds of launching.

2. As I mentioned above, I can't do a factory reset on this thing. I attempt to open the update file on the device by selecting Settings->About Device->System Updates->From Nand Storage (or SD, it doesn't matter) and it will reboot into recovery mode, find the update, verify it, then stop about 25% of the way thru and abort.

3. There is NO update.zip on Coby's website ANYWHERE that will work with this hunk of junk. The only one I can find is for the 7015 which it of course won't install and does the same thing as the stock recovery image I mentioned in problem #2

4. Netflix runs like Molasses in January on it, but that's a problem with Netflix I think from all the googling I've done.

There's more but these are the main issues I'm having. At this point, I just want to get it back to stock so I can give it to my kid and go buy a real tablet (unless someone out there has a miracle ROM image or other magic fix that will transform this turkey into something usable). Any help you folks can provide would be great.

Thanks for looking,
-Phil

knlming

Apr 6, 2012
Hi there,

Where to begin? I'm exasperated with this thing and ready to see how long it would take my 5 year old to destroy it with a mallet.

After days of futzing and fiddling I managed to root the thing and get the market to work. But in doing so I think I caused more problems than I solved, so I attempted to revert back to factory and start over, but now I'm halfway between rooted and stock and none of the problems I have with this thing are resolved. Here are the problems I'm having in no particular order:

1. Many of my apps including things that should run and do run just great on my Huawei Ascend II (which is a gutless wonder compared to most devices) such as Angry Birds Seasons and Space, Bejeweled, Chuzzle, etc either refuse to open at all or just crash and drop me back to the home or apps screen within a few seconds of launching.

2. As I mentioned above, I can't do a factory reset on this thing. I attempt to open the update file on the device by selecting Settings->About Device->System Updates->From Nand Storage (or SD, it doesn't matter) and it will reboot into recovery mode, find the update, verify it, then stop about 25% of the way thru and abort.

3. There is NO update.zip on Coby's website ANYWHERE that will work with this hunk of junk. The only one I can find is for the 7015 which it of course won't install and does the same thing as the stock recovery image I mentioned in problem #2

4. Netflix runs like Molasses in January on it, but that's a problem with Netflix I think from all the googling I've done.

There's more but these are the main issues I'm having. At this point, I just want to get it back to stock so I can give it to my kid and go buy a real tablet (unless someone out there has a miracle ROM image or other magic fix that will transform this turkey into something usable). Any help you folks can provide would be great.

Thanks for looking,
-Phil

psmalley I hear you loud an clear I too got fooled into believing the Coby Kyros MID7014 was a decent device. I am in no way a techno junkie so simple is good for me but dang I can not even get kindle books. I have installed the Aldiko app and though they have many books they are not of the kindle quality. when you break yours please sure to reach far enough and get mine as well please.

meganicus

May 2, 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for looking,
-Phil

I have no idea why so many people have problems with apps and the 7014 in general. Most apps work fine on mine, you should never have to root it. I installed the android market and amazon market and I have all I need. All the apps you mentioned work great but for Netflix. It's a $90 device, you can't ask for the moon. Sorry to say but you turned it into a brick because you didn't do you research properly. This is the same system as the Kyros 7012 that many people love with a capacitive screen that's it. So look at what people do with the 7012 and it works just fine.

CobyCS

May 23, 2012
psmalley I hear you loud an clear I too got fooled into believing the Coby Kyros MID7014 was a decent device. I am in no way a techno junkie so simple is good for me but dang I can not even get kindle books. I have installed the Aldiko app and though they have many books they are not of the kindle quality. when you break yours please sure to reach far enough and get mine as well please.

You can get Kindle books on your MID7014. Where are you getting stuck? There are multiple ways of doing this. If through a computer, you would have to sync with Adobe Digital Editions since the books are copyrighted or you can download the Kindle app. I've tested it on our units and it works fine.

notoriousjmc

Jul 20, 2012
I am having major issues with my brand new 7012. I have installed Android market and it just seems like their r no apps...half of the ones I download do .ot support the device. This tablet seems useless. I k ow and fully u.derstand it was an 80$ device but I mean cmon

naj2

Dec 29, 2012
Ive installed adobe flash player10.2 on mine. i downloaded it on the pc then copied it to the Kyros MID 7014.