Colby 8024 Newbie Questions.

jqfountain

Oct 1, 2011
OK I am brand new to the whole android scene and have come to the understanding that rooting is similar to jail-breaking. I have and Colby MID 8024 Android Version 2.2 and am trying to figure out what I can possibly do with it.

I have attempted to drag copy a .pdf book from my laptop to the android via usb. I just cannot figure out how to get to the file. This is going to sound really stupid but I clicked on the storage icon and there where to many folders I didnt know where to begin. I ended up clicking the Help menu, and cannot figure out how to exit. When I push the home key it takes me back to "the main screen" and when I click on the file manager it opens up to the help file with no visible options besides scrolling up and down.

How do I manually add books Aldiko? If I am unable to, do I need to "root" this android in order to download a new e-book reader that will allow me to read .pdf files transfered to my tablet via USB.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You don't need a rooted tablet for any of the things you want to do... It's perfectly possible to add files (PDF, music, movies, etc) and new ebooks. You just need to understand how file management works and how to deal with your applications (music player, Aldiko, etc).

File Management
Android is Linux, basically. All "drives" are mounted in the directory "/mnt". This is how things are arranged in my MID1024 but probably is the same for you:
/mnt/sdcard -> user land of the internal microSD card
/mnt/extsd -> external microSD card
/mnt/udisk -> disks mounted via the USB host, like a thumb drive

All these directories have "symbolic links" to the root folder, so:
/mnt/sdcard = /sdcard
and so on...

Applications
The built-in Music player works like the pictures viewer: it automatically scans all drives and add content.
Aldiko: to import a new book, click on the "home" icon and then on "SD card". It will display the folders in /sdcard automatically, and you can then navigate to any other folder you want.

Last but not least, when you connect your tablet to your computer via USB, make sure it's in "Device Mode" (Settings -> Advanced Settings) so your computer will see its microSD cards so you copy/move content.

Soulless

Oct 2, 2011
Hi just got mine yesterday been playing with it non-stop lo goto the the home button and tap it ( top left ) and then as crazy as it sounds hit the "SD Card" link it will then open up sort of like a file browser find your pdf and add it :)