Cold Boot ?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
One of my kids turned my A500 off yesterday after playing a game.
It took 10 minutes to turn on from the cold boot (correct term? cold boot = powered on from off?).

Is that normal? It seems like an awful long time.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
That is definitely not normal. Hopefully, someone with an A500 will come along and help you figure out what's wrong.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Does it happens all the time? Does the tab shows any signs of software problems?

Sent From Rob's ATRIX.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Does it happens all the time? Does the tab shows any signs of software problems?

Sent From Rob's ATRIX.

I don't know if it happens all the time, this is the first time it was powered down since the update. I wasn't that long after the update. I thought it seemed like it was getting longer before that, but I wasn't sure. I read somewhere (and it was confirmed somewhere in the forum) that you shouldn't really ever turn them off. So, I stopped turning it off.
I've been having this problem on both my A500 & Droid X2:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/31302-livemobile-com-market.html
I
found the Wrappio website and I think I stopped that, but it may be too early to tell.
While surfing the web, either stock or Opera, it has a tendency to crash. I've been getting Weather and Media force closes sporadically, mostly since the 3.2.1 update. I didn't think much of the weather and media, I figure it may be a hiccup with the 3.2.1 since that's when they started. Since every time it happens, I send a bug report; I was going to wait and see if it still happens after the next one.
The browser mostly does it consistently, regardless of which one I'm using.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanx

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
That is a long time for it to boot up. I know on a fresh install (after a Factory Data Reset) that my Asus Transformer boots up in 30-40 seconds. Once I get my apps installed (about 50) the boot time slows to about 60-90 seconds. I used to have 3 minute boot times but had a lot of apps (250+) I did not use so I cleaned them up. If you have a lot of widgets, especially ones on the home screens that need to access the internet (Weather, Movies, Facebook, Twitter) these can also slow down the boot times.

I restart my tablet when it starts getting a little slow, maybe once a week on average. I would try rebooting it again and seeing if it happens again.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I turn mine off always, boot time should be a minute or less depending on the amount of garbage it has to load.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Lots of force closing of apps and long boot time can indicate corrupted External MicroSD cards. Put your MicroSD card in a carrier, and pop it into your Windows 7 machine to see if its corrupted.
Unfortunatly, it can also indicate a corrupted internal SD card, which pretty much takes a Factory Reset to fix.

Boot time for me is 90 seconds.

Mine almost never turns off.

Turning it off simply means I won't use it, I'm not going to wait 90 seconds to check the headlines, or the weather,
or even to look up movie times, tv schedules, or waste some time playing a quick game.
People can't message me, I can't get sound notifications of emails. In short turning off a tablet pretty much negates
everything I want a tablet for.

There is ZERO advantage to turning off an Android device (or any linux based machine), because its not Windows.

(and even Windows isn't windows anymore, My Win7 machine runs 24/7, getting a reboot only when Microsoft
insists, sometimes its gone months without a reboot).

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Other than the update, I haven't turned it off in forever. I guess when I told the 9 year old to end his game & get off, he heard turn it off ;)
So, if it's corrupted, can it be fixed? Does that mean the data will be lost? I'm not to worried about the internal, that's all on the servers/ market. But I've got a bunch of pics & apps on the external. The apps are backups of non-market (SG1 soundboard, Kungfu Panda Puzzle, Cylon Bobble Head to name a few). They were all in the market at one time, but no longer. I'm dont want to loose them.

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well if most of your stuff in on the External MicroSD you are probably in good shape.

Any of those .apks that you have backed up which were pulled from the market, were pulled for a reason. You may want to think twice about reinstalling them.

Power down the tablet.
Pull the External SD card, stick it in a MicroSD to USB converter, such as one of these: Amazon.com: BlueProton USB 2.0 MicroSD / TransFlash Card Reader Writer: Electronics

Plug that into your computer (Win7 preferably), and it will diagnose any problems and offer to fix them.
While in your computer, make a copy of the card. No magic here, just drag entire directories off the card onto your hard drive.

With the microsd still out, see if your tablet will boot.

If, so, shut down, and replace the microsd back into the tab and see how it works.

If not,...
You might want to get a cheap 2gig microSD if you want to proceed to see if you can side load
a complete OS re-install, you should have HD87 give you some pointers. He's more experienced on the rom loading side
of things. There are web sites (XDA) where you can download all versions of the A500 software and side load it with
just the use of a small spare MicroSD card.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I don't use mine everyday so it makes sense to turn it off and save the battery charge cycles, last week I was so busy I only turned it on once to read through some pages on a technical manual.

On the XDA forums are those official versions of the firmware or are they custom versions? I'd like to have a few versions stored in case I ever have an issue.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
So, I did alittle house cleaning. I got rid of Goggle Currents because I used it only once and like Pulse alot better. It amazingly had 1GB of data. After that, boot time went from 10min to 2m15s.
@Icebike: I think I still pull the SD & give it a once over. I'm assuming I would only have to side load the OS if a factory reset didn't work, right? Do you know whether or not one would still get ICS if the OS was side loaded, standard image? I'm keeping the idea in my back pocket (media keeps crashing).
You really think I should chuck my formerly Market apps? (I agree the Super Mario Bros puzzle can go). I got the SG1 soundboard from my wife and it was the second app she put on her Droid over 2 years ago. I figured some of these just left the Market due to lack of support or popularity. Do they really only pull apps if they "misbehave"? (If you can't tell, I love SG1)

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Do they really only pull apps if they "misbehave"?

No, if they violate someone's copyright they will pull them as well.
But by far the most often reason for removal has been spyware build into the apps. My theory is, if you don't use it, toss it. Or keep the .apk just in case you want it back, but don't install it.

Just yank the MicroSD and see if it boots up properly and quickly.
Then you can plan what your next move is.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Roughly the same amount of time (2m) w/o the SD card in.
That isn't a big deal compared to 60-90, is it?
I'm still going to check the SD card; and take your advice and do a purge.

Thanks

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I just timed mine which is pretty bare in the app department and it was 65 seconds from the time the light frist comes on the power switch to the lock screen, no real time after entering lock code to desktop. After the latest update it was really fast for a couple of boots, then some app updates and it went back to about a minute.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Update:
For giggles, I turned it off, put the SD card back in and turned it on. 3m05s. Also, all the pics & vids were gone off the card. The docs & music were still there. Docs, pics & vids were intact on the internal, but the music I made available offline from Google Music is gone. Also, tapatalkat_download & the tapjoy folders are back. I have no idea what these are or what they're related to - but the weirdest crap is in them, so I delete them whenever they show up.
After the kids go to bed, I'm finding the SD card thingy and dissecting this puppy. Hopefully, all my bio-geek stuff laying around the house will do the job ;)

After I sanitize, if I stabilize at 2m, is that good or should I bust out the microscopy set and focus in on a factory reset?

Thanks everyone.