College Bound in a Couple Weeks, In Need of Tablet Suggestions

MissHeaven93

Aug 6, 2012
My name is Heaven, and I'm about to be a freshman in college. I'm double majoring in Math and Math Education. I have a laptop but I want a tablet, obviously it'd be more convenient when commuting. I'm also hoping to download some books on it so I'd need something easy on the eyes of course. I have an iPhone and I did consider the iPad but then I realized that it doesn't support Flash which I'm not sure if I'd actually need with my laptop. I've never had a tablet so I'm not sure what to look for. I need suggestions and/or reviews. Price isn't really a problem right now but I want something that will be college worthy with lots of memory. Another reason why I put thought into the iPad is because I'm used to the app store but I've never tried the Android Market. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
My name is Heaven, and I'm about to be a freshman in college. I'm double majoring in Math and Math Education. I have a laptop but I want a tablet, obviously it'd be more convenient when commuting. I'm also hoping to download some books on it so I'd need something easy on the eyes of course. I have an iPhone and I did consider the iPad but then I realized that it doesn't support Flash which I'm not sure if I'd actually need with my laptop. I've never had a tablet so I'm not sure what to look for. I need suggestions and/or reviews. Price isn't really a problem right now but I want something that will be college worthy with lots of memory. Another reason why I put thought into the iPad is because I'm used to the app store but I've never tried the Android Market. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Heaven, welcome to the forum!
I guess you may prefer larger screen tablets, they're better for reading and watching movies. so, you can take a look at the reputable Cube U30GT Dual core 9.7 inch android 4.0 tablet with high resolution IPS screen. Or you can find more here: Android Tablet PC.
Hope you'll find what you want, good luck! :)

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
As SpeMall said, a IPS screen is what you are looking for, its the type of screen and means it is a higher resolution so clearer.

Capacitive screens are also better than resistive (and clearer).

9.7" is the same as an iPad, you can get anything from 7" to 10.1" :)

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
hi. there are plenty of good tablets out there that will meet your needs providing you know which apps you need. one of the big problems is finding a trustworthy seller. this is why the supporting vendors are recommended on this forum. these have earned their status as being the best suppliers of chinese tab, my choice of these is redtabletpc.com . they are reliable, honest & do not sell oem (copy tabs) devices with less quality control than branded makers. their prices are competitive & for the peace of mind you can choose your shipping to suit either speed/price/reliability. here is a link to a very good tablet that i have recently bought from them for my father. good luck.

RK3066 Dualcore Tablet PC YuanDao N90 Dualcore (Window N90 Dual Core) RK3066 Dualcore Tablet PC YuanDao N90 Dualcore (Window N90 Dual Core) [YD90D] - $226.00 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
^^ OEM just means "direct from the manufacturer" not that they are copies, but it is a good point. Pandawill seem to have good prices and are a recommended seller

rolexconfuse

Apr 5, 2011
Size and weight is also another consideration. Do you want to have a more portable tablet or more view space? Are you going to use the tablet for reading text books or PDF files? If you plan on reading any PDF or textbook type files I suggest you go with a 9.7 or 10 inch tablet. Personally I've tried 7 inch tablets for reading and they are horrible. As for weight, I have an issue with weight and I think any tablet that weighs 1.5lb is bad. As it starts getting too heavy to single hand hold. Your mileage may differ

If price is not an issue with you then I suggest that you look for a tablet from the big venders like Apple, Asus, Samsung, Toshiba and etc. I know many people will recommend Chinese tablets and I don't have issue with them as they are cheaper. However I think they are a good starting point when you're limited in funds and want to test the tablet waters. Chinese tablets aren't bad but there are some drawbacks...

- Tech support/ hardware support. If anything happens to your tablet and you need a replacement it's better to deal with the big companies rather than a reseller or a company overseas

- Processor power: lot of the Chinese tablets are using non-mainstreamed processors A10 and Rockchip. Mainstream tablets are going toward quad-cores but Chinese tablets are slowly going to dual core. If price is not an issue, you might as well go for the faster processor.

Apps: Most apps are available on both the android + apple platform. There are some that's only specific to Apple or Android. This may require more research

Flash: while it's nice to have flash, flash kills battery like crazy. And Flash never works as well as it does on the PC. (doesn't mean flash it bad, just not as good)

If you are going for a tablet you may want to look at the new Asus TF700 for $499, new IPAD, the upcoming Samsung Note 10.1 and see what the reviews are for those