Complete crash on update of firmware

mach1

Nov 15, 2012
Be nice, I'm new and know next to nothing about tablets.

I got a TF300 a couple of weeks ago. Everything was fine, and I noticed it was trying to update the firmware. Since I never keep the thing on where there is WiFi for very long, it goes to sleep after two minutes of inactivity, it was having a difficult time completing the download. Finally finished today and now the tablet is toast. Just sits on the ASUS splash screen and spins. Tried the hard start etc., same result. It won't even shut off. I am extremely disappointed in that I got some paid software for it that I need for business and it looks like that's gone not to mention files I put on it and so on. Anybody with any easy ideas? To add insult to injury, I tried to leave a message on the ASUS tech support site, and it said it's servers were down after I wrote a nice long letter. If the tablet goes back, I'm not coming back with an ASUS.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
That's unfortunate. If I were you, I'd actually let it spin for a bit longer. Post-upgrade boot can take a very long time, depending on what you have on the device. I'd give it at least 30 minutes before I give up completely on it.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Sorry for your troubles.

You can go to the Asus support site (link to tf300 downloads is in my forum favorites link in my signature) and get the latest firmware for your SKU (US, WW, TW, etc.)

Unzip that file once (it will still be a .zip) and place that zip on the top level of a microSD formatted for FAT32.

Insert it in your tablet, then hold VOL DOWN and POWER for 12-15 seconds until the small white text appears. Release both buttons and hit VOL UP while the white text is still there to enter RCK (recovery).

This will trigger a flash of the new firmware. If you get a dead android it did not work. Hopefully it works.

Also, Asus support does not typically reply to emails for some reason. I have had great luck with phone support with them though.

mach1

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the quick input everyone. Asus actually did respond to the email rather quickly. Unfortunately, they asked me to try the cold boot data clear option, which I did, no luck, and their second response was fill out the RMA. Now I am just trying to figure out if B&H will take back the tablet, with the accessories I bought for it. It's only been three weeks. It's all down to how best to cut my losses. Last Asus I will ever own.

mach1

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the quick input everyone. Asus actually did respond to the email rather quickly. Unfortunately, they asked me to try the cold boot data clear option, which I did, no luck, and their second response was fill out the RMA. Now I am just trying to figure out if B&H will take back the tablet, with the accessories I bought for it. It's only been three weeks. It's all down to how best to cut my losses. Last Asus I will ever own.

Well, I lied. I'm going to own another ASUS. Kudo's to the folks at B&H Photo, whom I purchased the tablet from. They were willing to do either, refund or exchange. Had a good talk with Sam in tech support, who explained that most likely when the tablet shut off during updating of the firmware, that sent the program south and thus, when it finally completed the download process, it locked.

So a warning to new t300 buyers, when it wants to update it's firmware, make sure it's plugged in, and no auto sleep until it's done. It's a fairly long download so be prepared. Now all I have to do is beg and plead with the folks at Google Play to allow me to reload my purchased programs. That ought to be fun.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Well, I lied. I'm going to own another ASUS. Kudo's to the folks at B&H Photo, whom I purchased the tablet from. They were willing to do either, refund or exchange. Had a good talk with Sam in tech support, who explained that most likely when the tablet shut off during updating of the firmware, that sent the program south and thus, when it finally completed the download process, it locked.

So a warning to new t300 buyers, when it wants to update it's firmware, make sure it's plugged in, and no auto sleep until it's done. It's a fairly long download so be prepared. Now all I have to do is beg and plead with the folks at Google Play to allow me to reload my purchased programs. That ought to be fun.

Glad you are going to give it another shot.

Any apps purchased with your play account can be loaded for free on other devices linked to your account, including your new tablet.