Completely bricked acer a500, no bootloader, recovery, factory reset

a223

Apr 30, 2012
So while trying to flash a ROM lastnight i seemed to bricked my tablet horribly
any combination of power and vol gets me only the power Led light to turn on
I had the recovery menu by Teamwin ( cant remember the name of it at the moment)
i was trying to install the flexstricker R9 Rom
ands i beleive the bootloader was stock, Acer bootloader
Is there anyway to get a bootloader to run on a flashdrive, to start the tablet?
maybe able to format it into a harddrive and then installing all needed crap via a pc?
if not where can i send it to get fixed?

Last edited:

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
If you nuked the bootloader, Acer is the only place that can fix it. I know that with the A100's, any mishandling of the bootloader wipes the tablet into uselessness. If it is out of warranty Acer will fix it for a price. Noone has the software, not even XDA, to fix the bootloader once it is ruined.

I refuse to unlock my bootloader or flash the ROM. I am comfortable doing such things on devices with factory unlocked bootloaders, but it is far too easy to kill an Acer tablet for my taste.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I'm surprised no one has gone in and created a hardware loader yet, there must be contacts for something to program the bare system which is probably how Acer fixes these. Something like a Jtag header.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
There are tons of devices with JTAG points that still are not able to be reflashed because the software needed for the correction doesn't exist. My LG Optimus One phone is such an animal. I had an extra phone that someone wiped the bootloader and the only person I found JTAGing them said it is impossible to fix unless LG releases the code.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
If you nuked the bootloader, Acer is the only place that can fix it. I know that with the A100's, any mishandling of the bootloader wipes the tablet into uselessness. If it is out of warranty Acer will fix it for a price. Noone has the software, not even XDA, to fix the bootloader once it is ruined.

I refuse to unlock my bootloader or flash the ROM. I am comfortable doing such things on devices with factory unlocked bootloaders, but it is far too easy to kill an Acer tablet for my taste.

Good Advice but no help to the one who has the problem. I'm the same - refuse to fiddle with boot loader and load another ROM - because the unit does what I want. It tethers to my android phone in the blink of an eye. ACER obviously HARD FLASHES the A500 ROM and BOOTLOADER which does not require the step by step process followed by those who want to root their tablets and load other ROMS.

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
Can you not connect the A500 to your PC and enter APX mode to restore? Of course you will need your CPUID. --Larry

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
That is a thought! But you'll need some sort of image of the system. Bit hard if you don't have one.