Connecting Devices to your Tablet

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Just curious.

I read from the manual (Advanced Settings) that you can connect your tablet to a PC (or Laptop).

Page 52:
"If you wish to transfer information between your tablet and your computer, you can connect your tablet to a PC using the supplied USB cable. Plug the USB sync cable into the micro USB connector on your tablet. Plug the USB client connector into an available USB port on your computer. You will now be able to see your tablet's internal memory as a drive in your computer file's explorer"

Does anyone already tried this?

This means, I can easily transfer data and media files (music & photos) from my laptop to my tablet.

I'm afraid to try it because once I attached it to my Sony Vaio laptop (running on Windows 7), this power voltage (5v) might damage the tablet.

Need your feedback, opinion and suggestions.

Thanx in advanced.;)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Connecting your tablet to your pc via USB will not damage your device via power, this is very different than using a power cable from a different device. So yes, it is very straightforward to connect in this manner.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the response, Pete.

acz82f.gif

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
For pete sake elsuriad, the manual says you can do it and they even supply a cable!

Why would you even think this would fail or cause harm if they TOLD YOU IN THE MANUAL that it was ok?

And why would you come here and take some random advice from the internet OVER what you read in the manual?

HINT: ANYTHING you can plug in via USB will not harm the device. The USB standard specifies voltage limitations. 5 volts is standard. 0 volts is acceptable. Nothing else. Even if the cable is from some other device, if it fits it will work.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Its not as easy as it seems (maybe its just me) but you can do it! :)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

crshonkwiler

Dec 29, 2010
You can install Dropbox on your computer and the Dropbox app on your tablet. It is easy to put what you want to share with your tablet in Dropbox on your Computer and share any kind of files and info.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
For pete sake elsuriad, the manual says you can do it and they even supply a cable!

Why would you even think this would fail or cause harm if they TOLD YOU IN THE MANUAL that it was ok?

And why would you come here and take some random advice from the internet OVER what you read in the manual?

HINT: ANYTHING you can plug in via USB will not harm the device. The USB standard specifies voltage limitations. 5 volts is standard. 0 volts is acceptable. Nothing else. Even if the cable is from some other device, if it fits it will work.

Dude, chill out. Some people aren't as knowledgeable about electronics as others.

Elsuriad:
The USB connection on the tablet cannot be used for charging, so you should have no problems with the tablet receiving too much of a current. The tablet will not receive any power via the USB cable once connected to the PC.
(I think you are confused somehow though, because i dont think the power output for USB slots on computers are 5V. I think you are confusing the DC power cable and microUSB cable.)

Last edited:

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Gladly, the A500 has the seperate power input, which allows for a external multitasking, I.e. have an SD card, USB drive, headphones, data transfer, second screen, and charging. While the iPad is very much the opposite.