Connecting to Homeserver

Gladiuc

Mar 6, 2011
How can I connect to my WHS using my Ziio?

I've used Astro+ SMB/ES File Explorer/ File Expert, but every App is crashing when I connect to my Server.

do I need to use special settings?

Thx for help.

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
Without getting myself into hot water trying to explain allllll the different issues of connecting an android device to a windows box, I may be able to save you some time by going into windows and "sharing" a folder or folders and then go thru the advanced options and make sure you allow full control to that directory (or at least read). Then make sure your windows PC will allow "Others on this network" to connect. Get your PC by running ipconfig in a dos box (or you can try to scan for it with the android device). Also, make sure you disable password required for access to your PC.
Then on android device simply enter the IP address as the server and then check anonymous logon.
Some will chime in with how insecure this is - but, seriously, no one is going to be interested in my home network and assuming they could get on my home network because they found my net's password, then they will find pictures of my grandfather on the network.

Getting a force close on a file manager as it goes to connect to a server seems to be relatively common. All I can say is try again. If it continues you might try an app fix_permissions which will go through your device and make sure permissions are properly set. Usually when I get a close I just go to my task manager and cancel the process and then try it again and it usually takes off and works at that point.

Last edited:

heroo

Nov 21, 2011
Hello guys, I have tried to disable any passwords and added everyone to share list and still all the apps like Astro, ES file etc. are crashing. I didnt root or anyhow changed the fw. All of you others have no problem accessing Samba shares from your ZIIOS?
Thanks

heroo

Nov 21, 2011
Ok, so after few factory defaults settings and firmware update now I am able to access network without crashing applications.