Connection Problems

aintnorock

Aug 23, 2013
I am a complete noob when it comes to tablets, so bear with me.

I have Android O/S 4.1.1 on a generic, no brand name, made in China by slave children (I made that last part up, probably true) 8" tablet.

I also have a Vizio 8" running Honeycomb.

I seem to be having connection problems on my tablets. I have a Belkin 182 router in my office 30" off the floor on my desk. The tablets work fine on my desk, but even when you take them just out of the room to the living room, they both will drop the signal randomly. I also use a laptop which works throughout the house with no connection problems.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks,
Carl

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Sometimes resetting the router can help with that problem. Try turning off/unplugging the router for 30 seconds or so and then turn it on again.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I seem to be having connection problems on my tablets. I have a Belkin 182 router in my office 30" off the floor on my desk. The tablets work fine on my desk, but even when you take them just out of the room to the living room, they both will drop the signal randomly. I also use a laptop which works throughout the house with no connection problems.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks,
Carl

I have the same problem with my Acer. I keep my router in the living room near the TV and when I stray too far away from the couch to get a beer from the fridge in the kitchen or to another room, the signal strength drops. The quality of the wi-fi adapters in all tablets is pretty poor. Not letting the battery run really low helps a bit, maybe.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I use an old cheap Linksys router I had it for 8 years or more, I bought the large antennas for it from eBay, my signal is about 100 feet or more from router 360. I use Wep on the router I get wifi inside and outside of my house. I am outside now about 80 feet from router works just fine on my Coby 7065.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 using Android Tablet

aintnorock

Aug 23, 2013
Thanks everyone for your comments. I only have about 10feet that I can play with, but I'm going to try to move my router higher and closer to the living room. My only connection to the cable is in the office next to the living room.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Is your tablet picking up other wifi spots? You may need to switch channels on router if other wifi spots are overlapping. Also have you tried your tablet at other wifi spots? Starbucks and so on, does your tablet have a better range with them?

aintnorock

Aug 23, 2013
Is your tablet picking up other wifi spots? You may need to switch channels on router if other wifi spots are overlapping. Also have you tried your tablet at other wifi spots? Starbucks and so on, does your tablet have a better range with them?

The only other wifi spot I get I think is a neighbor, and that's all I get on my laptop, too. But it always shows as a very weak signal. Do you have to do anything to the tablet or laptop if you change the channel, or will the devices just pick up the strongest signal? The only devices that I use wifi with are a printer (used primarily by the laptop, occasionally by my desktop), my laptop, and my tablets. And perhaps my neighbors use it, too if they hacked my password. Ya never know.

I have used it successfully at church and it generally works in the building where I hang out. Not so good in the office I use there, but the laptop doesn't get a signal, either. I'll have to take it to McDonalds or the bagelry one day to test it. (Good excuse to go out to breakfast.)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
A change in the channel won';t affect other devices. I have a link below with other possible solutions.