Contact app and how to send to a Group

sja68

Nov 18, 2011
Hi, I was looking at my apps and I didn't see one for contacts. Should there be one? My other question is I'm going on a trip and would like to send out one email to my family and friends. How do I do that on the Acer 500? I have the group sent up on my gmail account but I don't see it on the tablet. Also how would I do this with AOL? Thank you for your help and advice.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If you didn't see an app called Contacts, its probably because you tapped the "My Apps" tab at the top.

Its under ALL apps, it came on the tablet, and is syncs with your Google Account.

(Well, actually, it syncs with what ever you want it to sync with in Settings / Accounts and Sync. But you'd be crazy to sync it to anything other than your google account, and the best thing to do is turn off sync with the Iconica Tab entry in Accounts and Sync. Be careful letting anything other than Google account sync, such as additional google accounts, Facebook, Skype, etc because they will eventually steal all your contacts and their privacy controls are very poor).

Opinion: Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone use AOL with an Android tablet? :confused: Just have Gmail pick up all your AOL mail (done from Gmail on your computer).

The Gmail app on the tablet lags in features from the desktop client, and short of Adding contacts one at a time on the TO line (or CC line) by typing the first couple characters of their name, there is no way to send to groups. You can put a lot of names on the TO line, (type partial name, select, type next partial name, select, rinse repeat).

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I cringe when I see that "A" word...

I have not found a way to use groups on Honeycomb on my Transformer. Even if they are set up in the Google Contacts on the server, they do not pull down to the tablet. Something that needs to be addressed, but it has not yet been done.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I cringe when I see that "A" word...

I have not found a way to use groups on Honeycomb on my Transformer. Even if they are set up in the Google Contacts on the server, they do not pull down to the tablet. Something that needs to be addressed, but it has not yet been done.

Actually, the groups do show up in Contacts on the Acer. Just tap the account name in upper left, the pull down lets you see the groups, and if you pull all the way to the bottom, you can tap customize, and hide some groups.

Problem is, that functionality does nothing for you while using Gmail. Groups don't even show when you are selecting TO: recipients in Gmail.

Its like SO close, but then they got distracted by a shiny object or something...

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Actually, the groups do show up in Contacts on the Acer. Just tap the account name in upper left, the pull down lets you see the groups, and if you pull all the way to the bottom, you can tap customize, and hide some groups.

Problem is, that functionality does nothing for you while using Gmail. Groups don't even show when you are selecting TO: recipients in Gmail.

Its like SO close, but then they got distracted by a shiny object or something...

Ok, you are correct. I completely missed that. Thanks for edjukating me.