Copying a reading pdf files

KevHan

Dec 11, 2010
I have a Coby Kyros 7015, what's the best way to read pdf files? I have many books and files and I don't know how to see them. Do I need a new app?
Thanks.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There are multiple PDF readers. Each has their favorite. I use the Adobe Acrobat for Android and Docs to Go PDF reader. Both work like a champ.
I know there are other readers. but if you deal with any DRM PDF content, the Adobe reader will be the first to have the capability.

KevHan

Dec 11, 2010
When I try to load the Android version of Adobe reader, my Coby Kyros 7015 says something like I don't have permission. Must I root it first or is there a way to get it loaded and installed?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
What version of Android do you have. If you have 2.1 or 2.2 It should not require permissions to load or run. I thought the Coby had 2.1. Otherwise try Buffreader or Droidreader. Those work on older Android versions.

KevHan

Dec 11, 2010
My Coby Kyros 7015 uses 2.1. My appslib was working, but after 3 downloads it gets an error when I try any new downloads. I'm going to try uninstalling the program and see if it will let me reinstall. Without Appslib working I don't seem to be able to install anything.
Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I'm using Adobe. I just went to
Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions
selected:
Android
English
Android X English for Android
then [Download now]
Use the USB to copy it to the MID7015 to /nand/ if you don't have an SD card or to /sdcard/ if you do.
Then use a file browser like FileBrowser by Jimmy Wahlberg - go to the file and click to open it. When it asks install? say Yes. Done.
Adobe's version is fine. It's faster and nicer than PDF Viewer, which I then uninstalled.

But still this MID7015 seems very slow compared to my three core desktop PC. - 1 core at 800 MHz vs. 3 cores at 2.8 GHz - not a fair comparison.

Edit:
I didn't try downloading it on the MID7015 - I guess I could have - I just tested it - works but now I have to find where the download was stored.

Last edited:

KevHan

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks, I installed File Manager from AppsLib and did what you said. Copied Adobe Reader Android version onto the micro SD card, from there simple used Filie Manager to install it. Yes Adobe's reader is way better, uninstalled the other two pdf readers I was testing. I'm happy now. :)

Tubbyc

Feb 18, 2011
Hi
I still dont understand how to install the Adobe Reader for my Kyros, when i downloaded the file, it is a zip file, and I can not open the file using any file brower software, if I unzip the file on my PC first, then transfer the file folder using the SD card, I still can not open the file. Can anyone help me with this, thanks!!

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I just checked on the Adobe site.
The download is an apk, just move it to the Coby and click on it with a file manager.
How did you get a zip file?

Tubbyc

Feb 18, 2011
HI Ridgeland

I followed all of your steps as listed in your previous post. When I click "Download Now" after selecting "Reader X English for Android", the file is "AdobeReader.zip" this is strange..I am using PC running windows 7 to download the file

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I use Firefox with Linux - Ubuntu 10.10
An apk file is a type of zip file. Maybe MS is taking the liberty to rename the extension. I don't know.
Two things I can think to try:
1 - download it anyway and change the extension from .zip to .apk and see if the Coby installs it
2 - try to download it with Firefox.
I just downloaded it to see the size:
My file browser shows size is 1.5 MB (1565957 bytes)

Tubbyc

Feb 18, 2011
I use Firefox with Linux - Ubuntu 10.10
An apk file is a type of zip file. Maybe MS is taking the liberty to rename the extension. I don't know.
Two things I can think to try:
1 - download it anyway and change the extension from .zip to .apk and see if the Coby installs it
2 - try to download it with Firefox.
I just downloaded it to see the size:
My file browser shows size is 1.5 MB (1565957 bytes)

You are right about MS Explorer changing the file extension by itself, after downloaded it using Firefox, problem solved. Thnaks Ridgeland

Jezzebell73

Mar 19, 2011
Hi
I still dont understand how to install the Adobe Reader for my Kyros, when i downloaded the file, it is a zip file, and I can not open the file using any file brower software, if I unzip the file on my PC first, then transfer the file folder using the SD card, I still can not open the file. Can anyone help me with this, thanks!!

change .zip to .apk
it worked for me.