Craig CMP756

tacopimp

Nov 23, 2013
Has anyone rooted this tablet yet?
I just got it and there is nothing listed at craig for it.I would at the very least have a backup of the img it comes with 4.1.1. JB
It is a 9 " and has quite a bit of room left inside the case that I want to add a BT unit and a larger Battery.Any help would be greatly appreciated.TY
Everything works fine ATM so I need to backup my original img, before I brick it.Any Advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Darto

Nov 27, 2013
office depot online has this today as black friday early $79.99 no tax no shipping fees

burghman

Feb 11, 2011
I just bought this at Rite Aid yesterday for 79.99, I'm returning it today though. Video is choppy, it hiccups and resumes every second. This applies across the board for a file I put on the tablet, or any streaming like Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, etcetera. It might be an OK tablet if you have no need or desire to watch video, but I'd rather put the money towards one that does what it should properly.

tacopimp

Nov 23, 2013
The new firmware update to 4.2 is now available but does not work.fails the auth for whatever reason then fails to wipe the cache.
Now it wont boot past the open screen of the boot process.
Is there anyone here who knows how to dump the HDD and put a generic build on this ? Craig has told me they wont fix it without a receipt.
I see some options in the boot loader to update from both EXT and ADB so I assume there are more ways to access the HDD besides the SD.

Korill

Apr 12, 2014
Hello I am new here and I have been searching the net for the answer, I have a Craig cmp756 and earlier this week I had to reset it because it was stuck on the loading screen, since then I have tried to reset to factory settings 5 other times. Now I am having the problem that it will not download or update any of the apps that come preloaded on the device. I know it is connected to the internet because i can search to try and find answers to my problem. It keeps giving me the error message insufficient memory, but if I had the memory before it froze to download apps and upgrade apps what happened to it after having to reset the device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nannycrick

Jun 9, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the forum but not to Android tablets. For anyone who wants successful root, use Kingo Root. You can find it on XDA Developers. It works, but make sure to update your Android SDK Platform to work with android 4.2.2 available on the Craig Electronics website. Also make sure to update Java in your Windows PC. Often folks attempting to root a generic device often can't due to ADB Drivers being out of date , or don't have the correct ones installed
for the android version their working with. Everything is working after I rooted, but I still don't have custom recovery support to do a backup. You'll want to download Busybox by Stericson from Google Play or the web. Once your busybox version is updated, download GAPPS for 4.2.2 and save on to the root of the sd card. Go into the stock nandroid recovery and choose "update from EXT". Scroll down to find the GAPPS zip and hit install. It will flash the Google Apps Package. Then reboot. I use Quick Reboot app from Google Play, it will save you aggravation playing with the hard buttons to get into the nandroid.recovery. I use Square Home Launcher for Tablets from Google Play with the W-8 Theme. I like the "Windows 8 styling" in my tablet. It's free. I really like my cheap $20 buck flea market find. It's great!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2014
DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.4 from CRAIG site!! Just update to 4.2!!
Hello dear Craig 756 users. This tablet is laggy during usage of the Launcher (home screen) and looks like crap stock. I have not found root for this device yet, but if anyone has further problems, please do not return the tablet. You can fix all issues by updating the stock firmware for the tablet off of Craig's website http://www.craigelectronics.com/site/pdetails.php?id=580. Download the firmware 4.2 and then follow the below instructions:
If you have data on the tablet, BACK IT UP, IT WILL BE LOST IN THIS PROCESS
1. Search google for "Minimal ADB and Fastboot", download and install
2. Download the official firmware 4.2 from Craig's website
3. Turn your tablet off, once off press and HOLD volume down and power
4. Hold until you reach a screen that says 'Android system recovery <3e>' at the top, now plug CMP 756 into your PC through USB
5. Scroll down (using the volume keys) to 'apply update from ADB' and select by tapping power button
6. Open Minimal ADB and fastboot on your PC
7. Unzip the firmware downloaded from Craig to your desktop
8. Rename the unzipped file to 'update' for simplicity
9. Open 'update' and locate the 'update.zip' (located within the renamed update folder)
10. Write down the path to update.zip, you will need it in the next step
11. Click on the open ADB and Fastboot (it looks like CMD prompt) and type (without quotes) "adb sideload c:\users\desktop\update\update.zip"
12. Replace the c:\users\desktop\ with your path to the update.zip folder
13. Press enter, it will send the update to your android DO NOT DISCONNECT
14. You will see on your tablet that it will verify and update the firmware to 4.2 After the tablet is finnished, it will return to Android system recovery <3e> screen. Choose reboot system now option.
notes:
1. ADB and Fastboot is accessed through cmd prompt
2. this is my second update since 4.4 came out- there will be no more.
DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.4 from CRAIG site!!! The update will NOT WORK. Craig will hang up on you when you try to call them for help.

After you have finished these steps, your tablet is now officially "fixed". There will be no choppy videos or music, and it will not factory reset every time you turn it off, or turn off when you unplug it anymore. Since it's a low-power tablet, the Launcher (homescreen) will be laggy, but everything will work on it.

P.S. 4.2 from the site listed above is the STOCK IMAGE. 4.4 DOES NOT WORK (as of 2/17/2015) Do not try it.

Last edited:

times2fxp

Apr 6, 2012
Hey, that link doesnt work for the firmware. Can I get this from you by chance?

DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.4 from CRAIG site!! Just update to 4.2!!
Hello dear Craig 756 users. This tablet is laggy during usage of the Launcher (home screen) and looks like crap stock. I have not found root for this device yet, but if anyone has further problems, please do not return the tablet. You can fix all issues by updating the stock firmware for the tablet off of Craig's website http://www.craigelectronics.com/site/pdetails.php?id=580. Download the firmware 4.2 and then follow the below instructions:
If you have data on the tablet, BACK IT UP, IT WILL BE LOST IN THIS PROCESS
1. Search google for "Minimal ADB and Fastboot", download and install
2. Download the official firmware 4.2 from Craig's website
3. Turn your tablet off, once off press and HOLD volume down and power
4. Hold until you reach a screen that says 'Android system recovery <3e>' at the top, now plug CMP 756 into your PC through USB
5. Scroll down (using the volume keys) to 'apply update from ADB' and select by tapping power button
6. Open Minimal ADB and fastboot on your PC
7. Unzip the firmware downloaded from Craig to your desktop
8. Rename the unzipped file to 'update' for simplicity
9. Open 'update' and locate the 'update.zip' (located within the renamed update folder)
10. Write down the path to update.zip, you will need it in the next step
11. Click on the open ADB and Fastboot (it looks like CMD prompt) and type (without quotes) "adb sideload c:\users\desktop\update\update.zip"
12. Replace the c:\users\desktop\ with your path to the update.zip folder
13. Press enter, it will send the update to your android DO NOT DISCONNECT
14. You will see on your tablet that it will verify and update the firmware to 4.2 After the tablet is finnished, it will return to Android system recovery <3e> screen. Choose reboot system now option.
notes:
1. ADB and Fastboot is accessed through cmd prompt
2. this is my second update since 4.4 came out- there will be no more.
DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.4 from CRAIG site!!! The update will NOT WORK. Craig will hang up on you when you try to call them for help.

After you have finished these steps, your tablet is now officially "fixed". There will be no choppy videos or music, and it will not factory reset every time you turn it off, or turn off when you unplug it anymore. Since it's a low-power tablet, the Launcher (homescreen) will be laggy, but everything will work on it.

P.S. 4.2 from the site listed above is the STOCK IMAGE. 4.4 DOES NOT WORK (as of 2/17/2015) Do not try it.