Cruz Reader and External SD

miihkaylaa

Feb 19, 2011
I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding external SD cards for the reader. I purchased a 32GB SDHC Class 10 SD card. When I put it in my reader it doesn't give me an option to format but it recognizes it. When I put the SD card in to my computer to download the firmware update my computer freezes up. When I put the card back in my reader it gave me an error saying "SD card damaged" and prompts me to format the card. When I hit okay to format nothing happens. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I just want to get the updated firmware on my device. Thanks in advance!

craigievar

Feb 17, 2011
I occaccional got the message sd card damaged but not reformat. All I did when I got the message was dismounted the card and then put the card back in the reader, worked fine. Something must be wrong with your computer not recognizing the sd card, how old is your sd card reader on the computer is it set to read SDHC 32gig?

miihkaylaa

Feb 19, 2011
I've dismounted the card and then placed it back in and I got the same message. I went and exchanged the card but haven't put it in my cruz yet. My SD slot on my computer has a light next to it which turns on when I put the card in letting me know its recognizing it. It just doesnt pull up the drive. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to format my card from my computer or not? My computer is about 5 years old. The guy at the store where I got the SD card said that the reader might not be able to use the SD card at a class 10 level. Maybe it's too fast, he said? I'm not sure. It's all so frustrating!

craigievar

Feb 17, 2011
Try using a smaller capacity SD Card to see if the 32gig card is the problem. I am using my 1 gig card out of my camera.

Shoboy

May 27, 2011
1st: your 5yr old card reader can't read SDHC. Standard SD(old format) I'm sure but not the "now standard" HC format( high capacity).

I just got my Cruz r101 delivered from Woot and I've loaded up 3 16gb SDHC cards, SAME error messages as you. Go to DEV TOOLS (on your reader)and click your external SD card, follow the onscreen prompts and it will format it for you then you can use it all you want.

This happened with all 3 of my SDHC cards, they were all new in the packaging and needed formatting. Let your Cruz do the formatting itself, not a PC.

paulmicro

May 26, 2011
I use an 8 gig micro sd card with an adapter in my Cruz R101 (also from Woot) without trouble. Beyond that, I agree
with the other posters. I didn't have to format the 8 gig card specially. Just took it right out of a (non-android) phone.

Shoboy

May 27, 2011
The "Class" is the speed rating. The r101 handles any class 1-10 SDHC card up to 32gb.