CWM Port success

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
EDIT: March 18th, 2012: See note at bottom regarding upgrade to Honeycomb with CWM installed.

Clockworkmod recovery for the Vizio VTAB1008

As promised here it is.

Use this carefully. Any wrong commands can potentially brick your system.

I was able to port Clockwork Mod Recovery to the Vizio and boot into it.
Many thanks to fadefx for testing it.

Please download, unzip and read the instructions in README.txt from the attached zip file. It is also given below.

### Here is Clockworkmod Recovery for the Vizio VTAB1008 ###
### Released on Dec 11th, 2011 -- rprr ###
### Based on cyanogenmod sources and with some ###
### Vizio VTAB1008 specific mods ###

### Requirements ###
### You need 'adb' access on a rooted device Vizio tablet ###
### AN EXTERNAL MICRO SDCARD MUST BE PRESENT IN ORDER TO ###
### MAKE AND RESTORE BACKUPS. ###

### Installation ###

### The following copies the file to the root of your sdcard ###
adb push recovery-cwm-vtab1008.img /sdcard/recovery-cwm-vtab1008.img

### Login to adb shell ###
adb shell

### Become root ###
su

### The following installs CWM to the recovery partition ###
### Make sure to not make any mistakes here ###
dd if=/sdcard/recovery-cwm-vtab1008.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=512

### Logout as root ###
exit

### Exit adb ###
exit

### Reboot into recovery. ###

### ENJOY !!!! Be careful. ###
### Exercise caution when using this. ###

CAVEATS:

Display is in landscape mode only.
Cannot restore the kernel and ramdisk backups yet.
No ROM manager integration yet.

WARNING IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE to Honeycomb:

Some of us including me have had problems when we attempted to upgrade to Honeycomb with CWM installed. This has resulted in non working devices. It maybe due to CWM. If so, it is possible that you may have to revert back to the stock recovery. I am attaching it to this post. You have to unzip it, move it to the sdcard and then install it. Remember that root will be lost if you follow this.

### Make sure to not make any mistakes here ###
dd if=/sdcard/recovery-orig.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=512

I have not tried the above so it is at your own risk.

Edit: A user (bkaler) reports that this method worked for them.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/27977-cwm-port-success-4.html#post194975

Attachments

• $CWM-on-Vizio.JPG
    $CWM-on-Vizio.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • $CWMVizio.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 387
  • $recovery-orig.img.zip
    810.2 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
you are the man my vtab is still brick ... you give me a hope to fix it :D waiting for the rom :)

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Holding Vol Op/Vol Down and Power buttons at the same time brings me to the CWM Recovery mode now.
No need to connect to the PC and use "adb reboot recovery".

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Holding Vol Op/Vol Down and Power buttons at the same time brings me to the CWM Recovery mode now.
No need to connect to the PC and use "adb reboot recovery".
That is correct and is the normal way to get into recovery.

While testing this I must have rebooted into recovery more than a couple dozen times. I sure appreciate having the 'adb reboot recovery option'. :)

Edit: To simplify matters, I have removed the adb reboot recovery instructions.

Last edited:

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I got this installed seems to work fine.

Thank you for your hard work.

Just so I understand, this would enable me to have adb access when I boot into CWM recovery. Is that correct?

Thanks...Brad

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I got this installed seems to work fine.

Thank you for your hard work.

Just so I understand, this would enable me to have adb access when I boot into CWM recovery. Is that correct?

Thanks...Brad
Yes. You will have adb access in CWM. Try it out.

IMA_210

Dec 20, 2011
So what are our next steps? Thanks to rprr, we have root, we have CWM recovery. If I am understanding correctly we still need work on the port of CWM so that we can restore kernal, ramdisk and recovery? I have tested the restore process as it sits and was able to successfully rescue myself from a wrong LCD Density setting... ;) Thank you rprr! If I can help with any of the leg work I am more than willing to give it a shot. I am very interested in getting a custom rom up and working on my VTab. I havent built any custom roms in the past, but am willing to start the learning process as I am not sure if we are going to get a whole lot of dev support on our beloved device. I just need to know where I need to start.

sigel

Oct 28, 2011
Yeah I'm thinking this is as good as it's gonna get... as far as our little vtab community. Maybe with everyone contributing we can get a nice rom together.

Maverickdroid

Dec 22, 2011
Hi, I not trying to be rude, and but "we" don't have anything... I think that most Vtab users including myself for whatever reason are on the 57 build. Aswell new users will probably be updating before they go looking for information. The pool of devs working on the vtab is small, that combined with the small number of users that were actually able to stay on the 56 build makes any real development doubtful. I think time and energy would be better spent gaining root access to the 57 build. There would be a larger pool of users... and probably more dev interest. If I can help in anyway please let me know.
Thanks Mav

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

IMA_210

Dec 20, 2011
Hi, I not trying to be rude, and but "we" don't have anything... I think that most Vtab users including myself for whatever reason are on the 57 build. Aswell new users will probably be updating before they go looking for information. The pool of devs working on the vtab is small, that combined with the small number of users that were actually able to stay on the 56 build makes any real development doubtful. I think time and energy would be better spent gaining root access to the 57 build. There would be a larger pool of users... and probably more dev interest. If I can help in anyway please let me know.
Thanks Mav

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Point taken, nothing rude about what you said! That is a starting point I suppose. As good a place to start learning as any I suppose.