D2Pad Screen Resolution help (requested) and Google Play (annoyance)

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
I have and like a D2Pad from BigLots. I bought one for my wife as well and would like to hand it over in working condition (the way we like to use our tablets).

I want to accomplish the following:

1.) Get rid of the 'Google Apps/Play STore has stopped working... ' message which appears occasionally when installing or updating an app. It'a annoying, I can live with it, but if you know of how of a fix would you please share it?

2.) Improve screen attributes. The screen icons and text look 'squished', as if the screen is being squeezed from left to right... it looks weird, and the text also looks strange. I hope I'm making sense.

3.) Screen Brightness/Gamma. The screen (while good) is not vibrant. I own a Filemate Identity with Froyo 2.2 and it's is the only experience with tablets I can claim... it has a very vibrant screen....

FYI> I was able to run the manufacturers update using their software for windows, USB drivers, etc. Then, I used the DiabloTek Fixer to get Google Play installed and working.

Also, the D2Pad is a nice tablet, so far.

Thanks for your assistance

Robert

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
By screen resolution, I think you are referring to getting more on the screen than what the stock D2pad has.
I modified file /system/build.prop by adding "ro.sf.lcd_density=120" as the last line in the file.
With the manufacturer's update and the lcd_density change, the tablet isn't bad, but there is a lot of bloatware.

My present setup, which I'll probably keep, is myfishbear's rom.
It is the manufacture's update with bloatware removed and Google Play Store added.
Everything runs great. See "-rom- d2pad SN_D201208Bxxxxx".

I haven't tried it, but you might consider vampirefo's Thunderbolt rom.
See "Thunderbolt for d2pad".

Jim

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
It turned out to be my Holo Launcher. I replaced that and the problem was gone.

Moving along on your idea of trying other roms...
is there a tutirial on installing and using clockworkmod on Windows? I have seen messages with verbose instructions for Linux... but not Windows.

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
Vampirefo is a "linux guy", but his directions "D2Pad from Biglots, How to Backup and Install CW Recovery"
apply to Windows as well. Myfishbear has a windows version of this in his files described in
"-rom- d2pad SN_D201208Bxxxxx".

If you download and unzip myfishbear's "d2pad hax D201208Bxxxxx SN on back.rar" you will find
three windows batch files that automate the commands in vampirefo's directions. Myfishbear's
windows procedure can be used for backing up your existing rom and installing any other rom
on the D2pad. If I remember correctly, myfishbear's .rar file contains everything you need
to install CW Recovery, do the backup, and install a rom on your D2pad.

I can't recommend a specific video because I haven't watched any of them, but there are a lot of
videos on YouTube with "clockwork mod" and "clockwork recovery" in their titles. You can get an
idea of what the process is like, even though none of the videos are directed at the D2pad.

The D2pad is my first tablet and I am brand new to Android. I had no problems with the
manufacturer's LiveSuite update or myfishbear's windows procedure. I did study the D2pad
forum messages before I jumped in with both feet.

If you mess up, you can always use the LiveSuite update at the D2 website to restore the
D2pad to its original condition and start over.

Here are my own notes using myfishbear's instructions as a base:

* make sure d2pad has latest update (LiveSuite)

1. make sure the rom is on a external sd card.

- copy d2Rom for D201208BxxxxxSN.zip to D2pad SD card root.
- install the driver in google adb driver folder

2. flash it with vampirefo's recovery (i made a hack pack with bat files for an easy install and adb drivers)

(I added underscores to batch file names)
1. run 1.backup_script.bat
2. run 2.install_recovery.bat
3. run 3.boot_recovery.bat
(had to power off/on for it to get into recovery)

3. in recovery format everything except your sdcard. (this is under mounts and storage)

once in recovery
volume up to scroll
power to select
volume down is back

- format system, data, cache

4. install rom

* reboot system now

5. enjoy!

6. -optional- you need to reinstall recovery after you install this rom

KenH

Nov 23, 2012
Hi guys -

I bought the D2 late last week, but only had a day to play with it before leaving for the holiday. It's my 1st tablet and I have no Linux experience, so a lot of the terminology is foreign to me.

I am encouraged by Jim's step by step instructions and will play with it once I return home.

I had attempted to upgrade the OS, but could never get the pop-up window mentioned in the instructions. I contacted D2 and they sent me a link to an updated version of Livesuite which I'll try when I get home.

From what I've read, JB won't run on the D2. Is this your understanding?

Also, a sys-info app showed that the CPU was running at 1.008GHz (from memory, might have misplaced the '8'), rather than the advertised 1.2GHz. How about your unit?

I'll be back here next week to report and ask questions :) Thanks.

Ken

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
So, If I follow Fishbears instruction will I be able to BACKUP my existing working state?

Also, What is ADB? I have tried to install (what I believe to be the program) on WIndows 7 and all I get is a brief flash of a DOS window, then nothing.

All I want to accomplish is setting the resolution density to somewhere between 180 and 220. I tried and all I got was a boot-loop. Then I want to back the thing up and be able to reset to my working preferences if I screw it up. It's a dandy tablet, but the resolution doesn't suit me.

Last edited:

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012
Myfishbear's first batch file, 1.backup_script.bat, will create a backup of your current system called d2_system.tar. I have not tried restoring from that file yet.
Someone with experience in this area should reply with the appropriate details to do the restore.

ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. It allows you to manipulate your Android tablet from your PC.
I'm running Windows Vista and I believe this should work on Windows 7: copy cmd.exe from Windows/System32/ to the directory containing adb.exe and myfishbear's three batch files. Double click cmd.exe while in this folder. When you execute the batch files, the dos window will remain open and you can see the results. Before you run the batch files, you can type the command "adb devices" to see if your D2pad is connected to the PC.

As mentioned earlier, I modified file /system/build.prop by adding "ro.sf.lcd_density=120" and am happy with the results. I don't know what your settings would look like.

Jim

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
If you download and unzip myfishbear's "d2pad hax D201208Bxxxxx SN on back.rar" you will find
three windows batch files that automate the commands in vampirefo's directions. Myfishbear's
windows procedure can be used for backing up your existing rom and installing any other rom
on the D2pad. If I remember correctly, myfishbear's .rar file contains everything you need
to install CW Recovery, do the backup, and install a rom on your D2pad.

Hey!

I did what you suggested... everything except installing a new rom... which I didn't have yet.

Here's my current sticking point.

I have the files for my tablet from D2pad D201209Bxxxxx: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...8524-drom.html

When I go to the download page at My Files I see 5 files. Which one shall I load onto my sd card and ask CWM to install?

What do you think?

Robert

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
Okay... Now that I have runn the batch files, it ran a backup, when my D2 rebooted I saw the Clockwork Mod screen and chose to do nothing.

Which of the 5 fishbear files should I load into CWM to install the ROM?

Robert

Myfishbear's first batch file, 1.backup_script.bat, will create a backup of your current system called d2_system.tar. I have not tried restoring from that file yet.
Someone with experience in this area should reply with the appropriate details to do the restore.

ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. It allows you to manipulate your Android tablet from your PC.
I'm running Windows Vista and I believe this should work on Windows 7: copy cmd.exe from Windows/System32/ to the directory containing adb.exe and myfishbear's three batch files. Double click cmd.exe while in this folder. When you execute the batch files, the dos window will remain open and you can see the results. Before you run the batch files, you can type the command "adb devices" to see if your D2pad is connected to the PC.

As mentioned earlier, I modified file /system/build.prop by adding "ro.sf.lcd_density=120" and am happy with the results. I don't know what your settings would look like.

Jim

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
1. make sure the rom is on a external sd card.

- copy d2Rom for D201208BxxxxxSN.zip to D2pad SD card root.
- install the driver in google adb driver folder

2. flash it with vampirefo's recovery (i made a hack pack with bat files for an easy install and adb drivers)

(I added underscores to batch file names)
1. run 1.backup_script.bat
2. run 2.install_recovery.bat
3. run 3.boot_recovery.bat
(had to power off/on for it to get into recovery)

3. in recovery format everything except your sdcard. (this is under mounts and storage)

once in recovery
volume up to scroll
power to select
volume down is back

- format system, data, cache

4. install rom

* reboot system now

5. enjoy!

6. -optional- you need to reinstall recovery after you install this rom
[/QUOTE]

I did everything you told me to, except I did not format system, Data, Cache. I forgot to because I really flustered by an hour of failed attempts which had me believing I had bricked my tablet. Anyway, I had previously wiped everything using the manufacturers Livesuit app.

When my D2 booted into Thunderbolt, I noticed the old crapware icons, but they were not actually installed.

Should I try again? What do you think?

Robert

Last edited:

WoweeRobert

Dec 29, 2011
I did everything you told me to, except I did not format system, Data, Cache. I forgot to because I really flustered by an hour of failed attempts which had me believing I had bricked my tablet. Anyway, I had previously wiped everything using the manufacturers Livesuit app.

When my D2 booted into Thunderbolt, I noticed the old crapware icons, but they were not actually installed.

Robert[/QUOTE]

I answered my own questions... sort of

the thunderbolt mod installs fine, but cannot update anything. Updates for ES Explorer for example will update for several minutes.... internal SDcard appears to not exist.

"d2pad hax D201209Bxxxxx SN on back.zip" will not install at all. 2 seconds and it aborts.

Any suggestions?

KenH

Nov 23, 2012
A big "Thanks" to jimc3 & myfishbear.

I never could get the Android USB drivers installed on Win 7-32, but following a suggestion and installing PdaNet (PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android), allowed Win 7 to recognize device.

Using the new LiveSuite link provided by D2, I was able to install the D2 update, then using jimc3's instructions, I installed myfishbear's ROM. Everything seems to be working fine.

I installed Jellybean Keyboard to fix the lack of a spell-check dictionary (all words underlined in red).

Also, I was experiencing a sharp drop-off in battery capacity from around 60% to 20% (occurred with original ROM as well). Performing a battery calibration seems to have fixed this, but only getting slightly less than 3:00h run-time.

I tried removing "ro.sf.lcd_density=120" from the build.prop file to restore the default resolution, but there must be some other change required because the "X remove" at the top of the home screen was missing.

I also made a backup using the batch file, but have not tried a restore.

jimc3

Nov 5, 2012

Robert

I answered my own questions... sort of

the thunderbolt mod installs fine, but cannot update anything. Updates for ES Explorer for example will update for several minutes.... internal SDcard appears to not exist.

"d2pad hax D201209Bxxxxx SN on back.zip" will not install at all. 2 seconds and it aborts.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Today I figured out how to get around Google Play Store stalling on a download and it might work on ES Explorer stalling on a download.

Here is what I posted on the Thunderbolt for D2pad discussion:

Google Play Store not downloading - Circumvented (I think)

While Play Store is stuck on "downloading", from terminal issue "su", then "killall drmserver".

What is interesting is that, the moment the terminal commands are finished, the download takes off.
After the first download completed, I was able to do other downloads and updates without repeating the terminal commands.
After rebooting, you will have to repeat the terminal commands.

I use jackpal android terminal emulator v1.0.48.
The v1.0.49 320k version is at https://github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator/downloads.

You can also connect to PC via USB and use ADB shell to issue "killall drmserver".

Until I hit on the above circumvention, I tried the following with limited or no success.

1. Clearing the cache and data of both the Google Play Store app and the Download manager.
2. Deleting the google account in settings and adding it through Google Play.
3. Delete the sdcard hidden folder named .android_secure. Must be done using PC and USB connection.
4. Reinstalling everything. ugh.
5. Disabling router firewall.

whitelight

Dec 24, 2012
Anybody here having any problems with slow WiFi speeds? I can't get 1 Mbps downloads. Is that normal? I have the 1.2 GHz processor 1gb ram. I did the d2 pad fixer thing. I added the apps and replaced the build.prop to mine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2