Dead mid 9742

cyberbaba

Dec 5, 2012
Hi Guys - Here is the fix i am in....

The tablet would not power on, probably cause the battery was drained out...

My wife accidentally plugged in the wrong power adapter into the Coby 9742 to charge the tab. The Adapter had a 12v output it was connected for less than a minute. I realized the wrong adapter and unplugged to find the tablet (expected) fairly hot. I opened the tab to check if the extra voltage FIRED the motherboard, surprisingly the board looked fine nothing looks like it has blown up.

I checked the battery (with a voltage meter) it has not burst and it is charging fine. The Allwinner CPU is also heating up normally which makes me believe the device not DEAD. I have tried plugging the device to a PC with Windows and nothing happens. I have also tried the various boot options Vol+, Power button all combination none work. I have never been able to get Windows to detect the Tablet, i have two the working device also does not get recognized. Guess I don't have the right drivers for Win7 64bit.

Any help to further troubleshoot my issue will be great. Thanks in advance.

cyberbaba

Dec 5, 2012
Thanks Vampirefo, but i forgot to mention i tried the reset button first even before i opened the device.

Any other thoughts. The screen will just not turn on.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You likely fried the tablet, even though you could see no physical damage. The voltage was bad enough, but the real killer is the amperage. Oh, and the polarity of the plug doesn't help much.