Dead Vizio Tablet

joey2169

Nov 8, 2011
So my Vizio Tablet was working fine for week and a half that I owned it... Last night the screen locked up and would not respond. So I hard booted the tablet and when it restarted brought me to the blue exclamation point of death. I tried all options available on this screen including restoring tablet back to factory settings and restarted. No luck still just get the exclamation point.

Any ideas?

I did get it at Costco so I can just bring it in for a new one, but if I can fix without the hassle of returning I would like to. Also could be good information for the forum here if I am able to get it going.

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
Did you make any other modifications to your vtab? I know you have that other thread asking about getting full market access, did you try to change your vtab profile as discussed in that thread?

joey2169

Nov 8, 2011
Did you make any other modifications to your vtab? I know you have that other thread asking about getting full market access, did you try to change your vtab profile as discussed in that thread?

I hadn't made any changes yet to try that. It does give me the option to load a recovery file. Not sure if I could access it on the sd card but if someone has a default otb recovery file they could upload I could give that a shot.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
It is extremely unlikely that rooting alone can cause the tablet to go dead. How did the rooting process go for you? Can you document what you did after getting root? What apps did you install? Which of those needed root access?

I think that your best bet might be to call Vizio and see if they have any workarounds when in the recovery mode.

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
It is extremely unlikely that rooting alone can cause the tablet to go dead. How did the rooting process go for you? Can you document what you did after getting root? What apps did you install? Which of those needed root access?

I think that your best bet might be to call Vizio and see if they have any workarounds when in the recovery mode.
I do think that root remove warranty
you should try to call vizio as rprr said

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
Same problem here...stuck in recovery. Just before the blue triangle sign, it says "Updating Device Please do not power off your Vizio Tablet" Mine is rooted too. It has been rebooting normally after rooting. I disabled (froze) the Vizio Update Service a couple of days ago and I think that may be the problem. I've tried looking for a signed update.zip file but no luck so far. Maybe someone who has root could look to see if it's on their device in the cache/recovery folder.

Patience is a virtue...Brad

swynkoop

Nov 9, 2011
How are you trying to hard reboot? Mine lost video and audio and I had tech support walk me through the hard reboot. The procedure is unlike any that I found published anywhere. I recall that you start by holding down both the on/off switch and the volume control at the same time, but I forget the details from there. Anyway, if you just did the software reboot, it apparently doesn't reset to factory settings. I'm still afraid of the rooting process, so I hadn't.

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I did not try a hard reboot using buttons. From the recovery menu (where mine is stuck), there is an option to reset the device. It is possible that the tech got you to the recovery menu. You can get there manually by holding both volume buttons down and turning on via the power button. Does that sound familiar?

Brad

joey2169

Nov 8, 2011
The hard reboot brings you to the screen I was talking about above. This screen came up every time I started the tablet.

So I called Vizio and they just told me to try the procedure for setting back to factory settings. I gave up and returned it to Costco last night and got a new one..

Now I have to reload all my apps :(

Thanks for everyone's input.

joey2169

Nov 8, 2011
Same problem here...stuck in recovery. Just before the blue triangle sign, it says "Updating Device Please do not power off your Vizio Tablet" Mine is rooted too. It has been rebooting normally after rooting. I disabled (froze) the Vizio Update Service a couple of days ago and I think that may be the problem. I've tried looking for a signed update.zip file but no luck so far. Maybe someone who has root could look to see if it's on their device in the cache/recovery folder.

I did freeze the Vizio Update Service as well. Maybe that is the problem. I used "Bloat Freezer".

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I have frozen "Vizio Update Service" with Titanium Backup Pro but no problems so far. It's been a couple of days.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011

I did freeze the Vizio Update Service as well. Maybe that is the problem. I used "Bloat Freezer".

I have frozen "Vizio Update Service" with Titanium Backup Pro but no problems so far. It's been a couple of days.

I have frozen the update service with Titanium Backup with no issues. I have restarted the VTAB a number of times since then - no problems.

I looked in the cache/recovery folder and there was only a single log file (last.log). The log showed that the cache had been wiped.

Perhaps others can check? Someone who has purchased the VTAB recently? IIRC part of the auto-update process is a reboot which may wipe the update file.

How are you trying to hard reboot? Mine lost video and audio and I had tech support walk me through the hard reboot. The procedure is unlike any that I found published anywhere. I recall that you start by holding down both the on/off switch and the volume control at the same time, but I forget the details from there. Anyway, if you just did the software reboot, it apparently doesn't reset to factory settings. I'm still afraid of the rooting process, so I hadn't.

Anyone else getting a procedure from Vizio please document the steps so that you can share it.

Also please carefully document what you do to your VTAB after root so that we can figure out what is causing issues for some of users.