Deleting highlighted text in Gmail app

NOTLguy

Sep 3, 2012
Running Gmail on my galaxy tab 2 7.0 with Jellybean and trying to delete highlighted text is proving difficult. The task bar only allows copy with no options to cut or delete. When I forward an email I like to delete a lot of the unnecessary text. Google help says to press the backspace key, the one with the X on it to delete text. However, the onscreen keyboard is not present after highlighting the text and any touch of the screen removes the highlighted text. Any help would be appreciated.

NOTLguy

Last edited:

NOTLguy

Sep 3, 2012
Hmmmmm, I downloaded another email client and tried to highlight and delete text and low and behold, it appears that this is a Jellybean issue rather than a Gmail issue as the result is the same as stated in my original message.

NOTLguy

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Both of the email clients I have tested this on, both GMail and Kaiten, after forwarding you need to tap a button to change the text of the old email.

In GMail there is a button to Respond Inline and in Kaiten there is a Pencil icon at the top of the forwarded message.

It does not give you a cut option because it is not editable text until you tap one of these buttons. After tapping this, when highlighting there are CUT/COPY/PASTE options as well as the keyboard popping up.

NOTLguy

Sep 3, 2012
Hmmmmm, I downloaded another email client and tried to highlight and delete text and low and behold, it appears that this is a Jellybean issue rather than a Gmail issue as the result is the same as stated in my original message.

NOTLguy

Thank you for the answer to this. I really appreciate it.

NOTLguy