Dell Streak 7 won't stay connected to wifi

Tammirae

Dec 23, 2011
My Streak won't stay connected to my Wifi! I've tried forgetting network and reconecting, it will connect and the within about three minutes say Not in Range. I've tried powering off and restarting. Any help would be appreciated.

relic

Jun 14, 2011
My Streak won't stay connected to my Wifi! I've tried forgetting network and reconecting, it will connect and the within about three minutes say Not in Range. I've tried powering off and restarting. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had some issues with my Dell Streak 7. At first I thought it was either malware or the device itself. I would lose internet/or connectivity after a crash or a forced reset. I would have a strong connection, but my wifi bars would be white instead of blue.

it happened again tonight, and after a few hours of messing around with it, I found one thing that was odd. It would allow some internet traffic, but nothing that required a security certificate. then i noticed that my system time had reset to jan 1st, 2009. my date and time was set to get it's data from the internet. I thought this would have a negative effect on certificates and other aspects of net traffic because of time stamps, lease times/dates, etc. so I unchecked the settings to 'manual setting' of the time/date, then set it back to get the time from a server. Immediately the correct time and date appeared, and so did full functionality of my wifi.

sounds funny, but I really do think this was the root cause of my wifi problems. maybe this can help someone else.

otherwise, it's the best $300 I've ever spent on a computing device in my opinion.

Tim13

Apr 8, 2012
I've had some issues with my Dell Streak 7. At first I thought it was either malware or the device itself. I would lose internet/or connectivity after a crash or a forced reset. I would have a strong connection, but my wifi bars would be white instead of blue.

it happened again tonight, and after a few hours of messing around with it, I found one thing that was odd. It would allow some internet traffic, but nothing that required a security certificate. then i noticed that my system time had reset to jan 1st, 2009. my date and time was set to get it's data from the internet. I thought this would have a negative effect on certificates and other aspects of net traffic because of time stamps, lease times/dates, etc. so I unchecked the settings to 'manual setting' of the time/date, then set it back to get the time from a server. Immediately the correct time and date appeared, and so did full functionality of my wifi.

sounds funny, but I really do think this was the root cause of my wifi problems. maybe this can help someone else.

otherwise, it's the best $300 I've ever spent on a computing device in my opinion.

Relic, I sacrificed time on my Xbox to register here for the sole purpose of telling you that what you said is the single stupidest solution to anything I've ever heard.

But God damn it, it worked for me too. It makes NO sense, but my Streak has been unable to use the WiFi signal it was clearly receiving for quite a few days now... rebooted the damn the thing, set a new IP address (static), reset modem and router, nothing seemed to work. But your solution most certainly did restore full internet connectivity to my tab, and I honestly cannot thank you enough, because it was one hell of a frustrating problem. THANK YOU!

-Tim

lucyvphd

Jun 19, 2012

Thank you soooo much, Relic! I got a Dell Streak a few days ago and the wifi connection suddenly going out (along with being whisked back to December 31, 2008) was today's little headache. :mad: I finally came across your post, which seemed just different and wacky enough that it just might work, and it did!!! TY TY TY! ;)

krehetin

Jul 16, 2012
thank you so much. i just got my dell streak and was worried i had made a big mistake. i couldn't stay on the internet. your solution worked perfect!! thanks so much.

hypertensed

Feb 19, 2013
hey question what time did you put in my internet time server says "time-a.nist.gov" idk what you did but id like to lol..i think all this has to do with thed honeycomb 3.3 updates dell is sending to every tablet i think the software updated before the actuall device cuz my flash updated to a version i wasnt abe to get before and didnt work..but they are in the process of sending honeycomb to every tablet but without my wifi i effed