DESPERATE TO KNOW ABOUT SD CARD PROBLEM (Sick Mom and need my tablet)

Dec 9, 2011
Hey there. I am a mom whom ovbviouly does not know crap about computers or tablets. but TODAY after owning my ACER tablet. i noticed when i went into setting to see how my memory was going i saw that only my internal memory was being used. I bought it in October and a week later decided I would add a sd card to up my memory so I could put all my music on it and be able to put a movie or two along with apps. ANYWAY i looked and saw that no SD card was being used it said "mount sd card" so i fiddled with it down loaded astro used my computer to make sure it was using the correct format. Long story short it isn't reading any sd card. SOOOOOO. Is there a quick fix or do I have to send it back to the company. sad part I have to be at a hospital for many many days going through tests biopsies and treatment with my mom for weeks. I need my tablet so i am PLEADING for any advise that could work for me. I did also do a factory reset as well. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IF YOU CAN..... GOD BLESS.:(

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Possibly it's just a bad SD Card. Do you or one of your friends have another to stick in and try?

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks guys done both multiple sd cards and i reformatted. I am guessing I may have to ship it back. I so don't want to.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Are you sure you are seating it all the way...? Push it down till it won't go farther.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
sorry but I have to ask, are you inserting it right side up?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mickkassem

Aug 23, 2011
I hate to admit it but I didn't have mine seated. If the little plastic cover doesn't fit perfectly it is not seated correctly.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Dec 9, 2011
sorry but I have to ask, are you inserting it right side up?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

I will certainly try it several times. I appreciate any help. THANK YOU GUYS.... I am thankful there is a forumlike this.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Did Astro recognise the card?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
When you plug the card in, you will need to use your fingernail to push the card in until you hear and feel a slight click. When it clicks, that means that the card is seated properly, and unless the card is bad, it will be picked up by the tablet.

Also, with Honeycomb, the OS does not support saving and running apps off of the SD card. The SD card can only be used to save video, music or other files. Another thing to keep in mind is that with Honeycomb, it uses part of your available memory as a pseudo-SD card. Some Android apps automatically puts some files in your memory and other files onto the SD card, so Honeycomb creates a virtual SD card using your memory for these apps to install those files.

Therefore, if you are using Honeycomb, it is better to have more memory on the tablet itself. However, all is not lost, as if you have a Honeycomb tablet, most likely the manufacturer will upgrade your tablet (when they get around to it) to Ice Cream Sandwich. In Ice Cream Sandwich, the OS does support apps on the SD card.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for this info, js! I though you could run programs from the card.

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for this info, js! I though you could run provrams from the card.

Yeah, unfortunately every version of Android above Eclair (I am not sure if 2.1 did) supports running apps off the SD card EXCEPT for Honeycomb. I don't know why the Google engineers decided to do it like this, except for maybe allowing the SD card to be hot swappable?

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Yeah, unfortunately every version of Android above Eclair (I am not sure if 2.1 did) supports running apps off the SD card EXCEPT for Honeycomb. I don't know why the Google engineers decided to do it like this, except for maybe allowing the SD card to be hot swappable?

Perhaps they needed to get honeycomb out & chose to fix the apps to sd later. Google had to get an approved tablet os out ASAP, due to the abundance of cheap hardware running older os versions with no Google experience support. I like honeycomb, but it's definitely got quirks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
So they are just going to wait for Ice Cream for us to run a program?

Dec 9, 2011
I am really gratefull someone like you can fill me in on this stuff. I think maybe your answer fills me in on what to exspect. It does use the honecomb so maybe thats it. Thank you again. IN FACT THANKS EVERY ONE.....
When you plug the card in, you will need to use your fingernail to push the card in until you hear and feel a slight click. When it clicks, that means that the card is seated properly, and unless the card is bad, it will be picked up by the tablet.

Also, with Honeycomb, the OS does not support saving and running apps off of the SD card. The SD card can only be used to save video, music or other files. Another thing to keep in mind is that with Honeycomb, it uses part of your available memory as a pseudo-SD card. Some Android apps automatically puts some files in your memory and other files onto the SD card, so Honeycomb creates a virtual SD card using your memory for these apps to install those files.

Therefore, if you are using Honeycomb, it is better to have more memory on the tablet itself. However, all is not lost, as if you have a Honeycomb tablet, most likely the manufacturer will upgrade your tablet (when they get around to it) to Ice Cream Sandwich. In Ice Cream Sandwich, the OS does support apps on the SD card.