Device storage vs SD Card

MNDaveC

Mar 12, 2012
Considering a 16gb vs a 32 gb Samsung tablet which has a microSD slot.

What considerations would you use in determining to get the tablet with more built-in storage vs getting the tablet with less storage and adding an SD card?

-- are there any BIG files that a non-rooted device will only allow on device vs SD? movies, etc
-- is there any notable performance difference loading apps/data from SD vs device?
etc

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Considering a 16gb vs a 32 gb Samsung tablet which has a microSD slot.

What considerations would you use in determining to get the tablet with more built-in storage vs getting the tablet with less storage and adding an SD card?

-- are there any BIG files that a non-rooted device will only allow on device vs SD? movies, etc
-- is there any notable performance difference loading apps/data from SD vs device?
etc

In my opinion, if you have a micro or standard SD card slot more internal memory may be a waste of money. I have had 2 32GB tablets with hundreds of apps and a ton of internal associated data and 8GB is still the most I've been able to use. A decent microSD card rated at class 6 or above should do everything you ask of it. The individual apps are so small they just don't take up a lot of room and media is easily stored on the SD Card or in the cloud.