Disabling a core while overclocking the other?

BrianChase

Jul 29, 2013
Hello, I recently bough a Coby 7065 and have been terribly disappointed with it. I have an Xperia Play and looking at the specs of the Coby I assumed it would offer superior gaming for the newer emulation options available but everything I throw at it runs slower than it would on my Play. I failed to account for how few apps (especially emulators) are actually optimized to use both cores. I also know that the am8726-mx chip is prone to overheating (simple web browsing makes my palms sweat) so standard overclocking is completely out of the question especially since I live in Florida. So, could I disable one core and overclock the other? Or, if that is not an option would I see gains from using SetCpu and leaving one processor at 200mhz max while overclocking the other? I'd assume that doing so would boost my performance in emulation while possibly even saving me battery life (~3 hours on the tablet sadly). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You can't over clock a coby tablet, I know some people claim they can, but in reality they know nothing about tablets or computers.

So the answer to your question is no.

BrianChase

Jul 29, 2013
Oh, interesting. I didn't know that a brand could lock out overclocking but then again I'm one of those who know nothing about tablets and little about computers. Do you have any tips for increasing gaming performance on a Coby or am I just SOL?

Thanks again by the way!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
To truly over clock any tablet you need source code, Coby has never released source code for any device, but 99% of the people on the planet doesn't even know what source code is, so some people scam and trick users in to thinking they can over clock their Coby tablets, when in fact it can't be done without source code, with source code a new kernel is built with a higher clock than stock kernel.

I don't game my son does and he has no problems with the 7065.

The tablet is MAX out at 1.2GHZ Governor is set to performance, deadline as scheduler.

Last edited: