Disappointed with my new Galaxy Tab 10.1

Melco

Jun 21, 2011
My wife just purchased a Galaxy 10.1 tablet as a more mobile replacement for her laptop but there are two problems that we can't resolve so we may have to return it.
1. Emails are showing text only, rarely pictures. Imbedded graphics are not being displayed. I think they are showing up in mobile mode vs the way the look on her Windows based PC.
2. She can't print off emails. She wants to be able to view, then directly print off emails wirelessly to an HP wireless capable printer. Our printer is not "e-print" enabled.

Anyone with the same problems or solutions to these problems?

Thanks, Mel

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Welcome to the forum Mel and may I suggest K-9 Mail for emails and Cloud Print Beta to print. Both free in the android market.

Melco

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I'll try K-9 tomorrow.
Cloud print Beta requires Google Chrome which does not run on Android honeycomb.
Thanks...........Mel

Melco

Jun 21, 2011
Hi, thanks fot the info but CloudPrint only works with Google Chrome and, surprisingly, Honeycomb 3.0 does not support Chrome.
I read the description of K-9 and it says nothing about printing. Am I looking the wrong thing?
Thanks

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Download Chrome to whatever PC you currently have the printer you use (or want to use) connected to. Set up Cloud Printing there, following the directions.

then go to the market and download and install Cloud Print Beta from Paulo Fernandez. Open that app and then you should be good to go.

Melco

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks to all who offered suggestions to resolve my issues.
Today I bought an HP laptop from BB for $120 less than what we paid for the Galaxy 10.1. It has Windows 7, 15.6in screen, 3gb ram, 320gb hard drive several USB ports, etc, etc.
The tablet's just don't meet her needs at this time. The Galaxy is going back to BB tomorrow.

jsuber

Jul 31, 2010
I own the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and use the Email system in the OS and my graphics and HTML work fine. As for printing, has anyone tried Samsung MobilePrint?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
hi melco this is a good ppoint your bring up - the tablet is no substitute for a laptop when compatibility with PC apps you are familiar with is of concern. I still prefer typing on my pc, editing videos on my PC than the tablet - to me tablet is purely consumption - read, watch movies, facebook, email

Thanks to all who offered suggestions to resolve my issues.
Today I bought an HP laptop from BB for $120 less than what we paid for the Galaxy 10.1. It has Windows 7, 15.6in screen, 3gb ram, 320gb hard drive several USB ports, etc, etc.
The tablet's just don't meet her needs at this time. The Galaxy is going back to BB tomorrow.

GTNTP

Jun 20, 2011
Melco..sorry it did not work out for you. Android devices take a little time to learn all the ends and outs. This is the second android tabet that I have owned and it is a great device. Contrary to what Anima said, I use it for more than entertainment. I use it as my whiteboard, notepad, message device, ebook, social neworking, work organizer, it views PDFs, excel sheets, word documents, my company has our customer relations management software on the web and I interface with it all the time, and yes for entertainment.

dddroid

Oct 19, 2010
This may be late but may help someone else. I use printer share for wireless printing and it works great. You can find it in the market.

D

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Melco

Jun 21, 2011
Once again, I'm grateful for all the suggestions on how to resolve my problems but the bottom line is that:
With my laptop, on ANY page, email or website, I have the ability to print off any page or group of pages by simply selecting print (actually "File, Print") at the top of ANY page. That input prints effortlessly to my wirelessly connected HP printer. I could not figure out how to do that with the Galaxy 10.1.
I worked for IBM all my career and we've never been known to make things "easy to do" but I found this task waaay to complex.
As I and others have said, tablets are not yet replacements for the tasks I've been doing on my laptop. I have no doubt that they'll get there soon but they're not there yet.
Regards, Mel

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well i guess this depends on what type of work you do - sure i can view excel spreadsheets but i also want to do monte carlo simulations, edit photos, put together powerpoint presentations. i might find some kludgy work arounds with the tablet but again the trade off vs notebook is way too much frustration, time,efficiency and productivity lost

Melco..sorry it did not work out for you. Android devices take a little time to learn all the ends and outs. This is the second android tabet that I have owned and it is a great device. Contrary to what Anima said, I use it for more than entertainment. I use it as my whiteboard, notepad, message device, ebook, social neworking, work organizer, it views PDFs, excel sheets, word documents, my company has our customer relations management software on the web and I interface with it all the time, and yes for entertainment.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

jsuber

Jul 31, 2010
I'm waiting to hear a complaint of not being able to connect to their 56k modem so they can check their email on their AOL account.