DLNA on Honeycomb

jimmybond007

Apr 1, 2011
Hello,

New to this site so please bear with me :)

I am a windows veteran and an Android newbie. Simple question...

Will a Honeycomb device (if yes, which one) be able to 'see' my DLNA certified NAS and play the files?

I'm not sure if it's a device issue or a software (app) issue or both.

Many thanks.

twokatmew

Mar 25, 2011
Unless the device has native DLNA, you'll need to add an app like "2 Player." I run it on my LG Vortex (Android 2.2.1), and it works great. It even plays WMA and other file types not native to the DLNA standard. Unfortunately on my Nook Color, it generates errors where it says it can't find the media or doesn't support the file type. Then it will ultimately play MP3s. Needless to say, I don't use it on my NC. BTW, I've tried it on Froyo, Honeycomb and Gingerbread (NC) with the same results. You can also try Twonky Mobile, but it's a huge, slothful app, not slim and quick like 2 Player.

cosmos

Apr 3, 2011
Hello,

New to this site so please bear with me :)

I am a windows veteran and an Android newbie. Simple question...

Will a Honeycomb device (if yes, which one) be able to 'see' my DLNA certified NAS and play the files?

I'm not sure if it's a device issue or a software (app) issue or both.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure about Honeycomb in general, but it states here that the Asus Transformer has a DLNA streaming client if that helps?

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer first-impressions [Video] - SlashGear

Great value tablet too! :)

twokatmew

Mar 25, 2011
I did a little more research yesterday and confirmed that the NC doesn't support the additional codecs required to play more than a few media types, hence the errors I get from 2 Player. I also use Meridian Player on my Vortex, which plays many different media types. Once again, media support is sorely lacking on the NC. If you want to play music beyond MP3 on the NC, you'll need to forget DLNA and use something like PowerAMP that includes its own codec support.

kelv1n

Apr 8, 2011
I'm not sure about Honeycomb in general, but it states here that the Asus Transformer has a DLNA streaming client if that helps?

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer first-impressions [Video] - SlashGear

Great value tablet too! :)

Sorry, the Eee Pad Transformer does not play DiVX content, it seems to do everything else but that :(

Mine arrived earlier today and I've been trying like mad to get it to play, I've only tried streaming from a Windows 7 box so far, but its not looking very promising.

jimmybond007

Apr 1, 2011
Sorry, the Eee Pad Transformer does not play DiVX content, it seems to do everything else but that :(

Mine arrived earlier today and I've been trying like mad to get it to play, I've only tried streaming from a Windows 7 box so far, but its not looking very promising.

Mine arrived today and having major problems. Are you able to activate your front camera? If so, what are you doing?

Mynet DLNA does not see my DLNA NAS either.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Supposedly I see people recommending Skifta, but the most reliable way for me to stream anything in the past is to use cifs for Windows shares.

nopod

May 2, 2011
jimmy, I'm using an Acer A500 with honeycombe. I can stream most types of audio and video files from my Windows 7 PC using the Upnplay app.and Rockplayer. The video quality isnt too bad.

upnplay lets you chose the app to play the files through. Rockplayer supports most audio and video formats, as do a few other free apps (e.g. Moboplayer).
Note: the A500 uses Acres Clearfi app which might enable Dlna separately to Upnokay? To enable Clearfi to see the media files, I had to enable sharing through Windows Media Player.

Last edited:

cirix

Oct 15, 2011
I had trouble too when it came to stream videos to my honeycomb (android 3) tablet.

Now DLNA works fine for me on my Asus Eee pad transormer. (I LOVE this tablet by the way)
MyNet app that comes with the tablet does not work very well...
I made it work like this :
On the tablet install 2 apps : UpnPlay an Mx player. You will see your media server in UpnPlay. UpnPlay doesn't handle video on its own(only music).But with MX player app installed(install the MX player codecs too) it will automatically allow you to read videos.

For my media server i use PS3 media server (only because I already used it with my PS3). I didn't test with other media servers. I'm on Windows 7.

I hope this will help some of the readers!