Do new nook colors have an anti-root measure?

geckofish

Apr 15, 2011
I just bought a nook color and I was hoping to root it; however, I just saw this article:
Barnes & Noble pulling Nook Color for 2 weeks--to ready anti-root measures? [UPDATE: probably not] | Android Central

The article says that Barnes & Noble pulled the nook colors from the shelves to install an anti-rooting measure. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Also, after rooting are you still able to view/purchase magazines on the nook color? Or is that functionality lost after rooting? I hope not, but I know the nook app on my android phone can not view magazines.

gbeardmore

Mar 17, 2011
I just bought a nook color and I was hoping to root it; however, I just saw this article:
Barnes & Noble pulling Nook Color for 2 weeks--to ready anti-root measures? [UPDATE: probably not] | Android Central

The article says that Barnes & Noble pulled the nook colors from the shelves to install an anti-rooting measure. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Also, after rooting are you still able to view/purchase magazines on the nook color? Or is that functionality lost after rooting? I hope not, but I know the nook app on my android phone can not view magazines.

The idea of them making the Nook "root-proof" has been pretty well dismissed. I wouldn't worry about it. As for your magazines, as long as you root from an SD card the Nook remains "stock" when the card is removed from the device, or swapped with one that is used exclusively for storage. There are all kinds of guides over on the XDA-Developers website forums.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

B&N had an inventory issue, it had nothing to do with pulling Nooks to configure them against rooting.

After rooting your nook will still have all B&N Nook Color features including magazines and "Read to me" books.

You will loose these features if you install a custom ROM. At that point you will only have access to books through the B&N app.

A final alternative as noted by gbeardmore is to create a bootable SD card where you can run a custom ROM from the SD card. Powering down, removing the card and rebooting your nook will allow it ot boot up into whatever state you have configured on the internal memory (stock, rooted or another custom ROM).

JP

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
As long as B&N continues using android operating systems as a base for the Nook Color, we will be about to root.

geckofish

Apr 15, 2011
B&N had an inventory issue, it had nothing to do with pulling Nooks to configure them against rooting.

After rooting your nook will still have all B&N Nook Color features including magazines and "Read to me" books.

You will loose these features if you install a custom ROM. At that point you will only have access to books through the B&N app.

A final alternative as noted by gbeardmore is to create a bootable SD card where you can run a custom ROM from the SD card. Powering down, removing the card and rebooting your nook will allow it ot boot up into whatever state you have configured on the internal memory (stock, rooted or another custom ROM).

JP

Great. I plan to follow the rooting process laid out on NookColor Rooting - nookDevs. Is this root method what you are referencing that still allows all the B&N Nook Color features including magazines and "Read to me" books? Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Great. I plan to follow the rooting process laid out on NookColor Rooting - nookDevs. Is this root method what you are referencing that still allows all the B&N Nook Color features including magazines and "Read to me" books? Thanks

That's the one. Before jumping in though you should check out the link below which is built upon those same instructions but also includes lots of other valuable information. It will even help you get a basic setup after rooting since rooting itself doesn't provide any real change from stock. Noticable changes come thanks to a home launcher.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html