Do you use a screen protector on a Capacitive Touch Screen?

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I am just curious as to the need for such a thing on a Coby 1125 device. Is it needed on a capacitive touch screen? Or would it interfere with the sensitivity to the point of making it almost unusable? Thanks in advance for the advice. I know resistive screens need such a protector, but haven't come across it being mentioned for capacitive screens needing the same protection.

Also while you're reading about capacitive touch screens, I know if we wanted a stylus it would be a different kind of stylus, do you use a stylus on your capacitive touch screen? ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes to the screen protector on several capacitive screens. They have a slightly different feel but they shouldn't degrade performance at all (nice ones won't cheap ones might). Some people don't like the feel compared to the glass. After a couple of days of use you can't even notice anymore. Most also prevent fingerprints more than just the glass does. They are not expensive so I suggest trying one out. If you like it then your screen is protected. If you don't well you maybe wasted a few dollars but at least you'll know.

As for the stylus I haven't tried one. Fingers work fine. I think if I was trying to take notes or draw I'd use one but I'd feel silly using one to play Angry Birds.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks J515OP! I had a feeling that was the case, with the screen protectors, we'll definitely order one when we get the Coby. I am sure hubby won't want a stylus either, but I might. ;) Thanks for the advice on the screen protector! I know fingerprints can be a bother to some people, my hubby included, so it's probably going to behoove us to get one just to keep those down to a minimum. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Some glass attracts finger prints more that others, it depends on the device but I think the screen protector helps with the prints. Even if it is just the same at repelling prints as the screen you can easily wipe it with a napkin or your sleeve or on your jeans and not have to worry about scuffing the screen. I feel like if you have glass you're always are looking for something soft or have to carry a microfiber wipe with you. It is sort of comforting to know you have a protector and not have to worry what you are wiping the screen with, though you probably still want to use something relatively soft ;)

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I love my microfiber cloth for my laptop, it works great! I am glad that you mentioned that, I will pick up a couple more before we get the tablet so hubby has his own, since I don't want to give up my laptop one. ;)

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
As for the stylus, yes; you need a special one. You can't just use any peice of plastic, you need a capacitive stylus, one that disrupts the touchscreens electrical field. Based on my knowledge of touchscreens, capacitive models use an electrical field which your finger disrupts (as our bodies have a slight electrical charge). Hence, if you want to use a stylus, you need to use one that will disrupt that field (a capacitive one).

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I use a microfiber cloth and rainx and have great performance. the rainx was recommended by one of the vendor reps last year

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
That's what I heard too Walkop, thanks for the confirmation on that. I will probably get one for myself to use on the new Coby. :D

WOW! Rainx eh? Definitely have to try that! Thanks for the tip! :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That's what I heard too Walkop, thanks for the confirmation on that. I will probably get one for myself to use on the new Coby. :D

WOW! Rainx eh? Definitely have to try that! Thanks for the tip! :D

Yes, forgot to mention that you need to get a capacitive stylus and they are fairly expensive. Not that you can't find them for cheaper but average price seems to run about $15 for something that basically has a fake finger tip at the end. Again, I haven't used one but the capacitive ones look chunky and not like a typical resistive stylus you think of for doing precision work.

As pbrauer said rainex works well for finger prints but doesn't offer any actual protection for your screen. For me the protection is #1 the reduced finger prints is a bonus.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks again J515OP! I appreciate the information on the stylus and the screen protector, both, great things to know in advance of a big tablet purchase. I guess we might not need the stylus, since I was thinking it would be easier for someone with fat fingers like me, but it might not. ;)

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
As for the microfiber cloth, many of the screen protectors will come with one that you use to clean the screen before you apply the screen protector. I personally use screen protectors on my tablets and every phone that we have in the family. I am pretty fanatical about it, even with the phones that come with Gorilla glass. The one problem with putting a screen protector on a large 10" piece of glass is that it is nearly impossible to get out all of the bubbles. If you are a perfectionist, be prepared to pull out all of your hair or go through a bunch of screen protectors to get it on perfect. If you shop for them on Amazon, they can be found pretty cheap and some may even come with a cheap capacitive stylus as a package deal.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Big lots has some for the iPad I saw today for $7 I nearly bought one, but I am not 100% sure yet that hubby won't change his mind again and waiver back to wanting to get a 7" tablet. I appreciate the advice jseah! I definitely WANT a screen protector for this tablet, it's a nice chunk of cash to plunk down on a piece of equipment and I want to take care of it. :D

shewme

Dec 6, 2011
I use a stylus and it works great, if you use a a I phone you can also use it on that or a Ipad, It does not leave much of a mark on the glass, but it works great. And the $15 or so price is worth it. :cool:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Big lots has some for the iPad I saw today for $7 I nearly bought one, but I am not 100% sure yet that hubby won't change his mind again and waiver back to wanting to get a 7" tablet. I appreciate the advice jseah! I definitely WANT a screen protector for this tablet, it's a nice chunk of cash to plunk down on a piece of equipment and I want to take care of it. :D

Exactly. That is why I insist on putting screen protectors on everything. The first thing I do when it comes out of the box, even before plugging it in to charge it, is to put a screen protector on it. The second thing is a case. For every one of our phones, the screens are as pristine as the day they came off the assembly line. In fact, I have an three year old Blackberry Storm (first Blackberry with a touchscreen) that still has the little sheet of plastic covering the screen that was put on by the factory. It is clear (no printing on it) and held on pretty securely, so I just never took it off and basically used it as a screen protector. It is all scratched and scuffed up now, but the glass underneath is untouched.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I use a stylus and it works great, if you use a a I phone you can also use it on that or a Ipad, It does not leave much of a mark on the glass, but it works great. And the $15 or so price is worth it. :cool:

I've been shopping around for styluses, but all I see are the ones with a nubby tip like a pencil eraser. I want to find one with a fine point that will allow me to write like a pen.