Does .04 inches really matter?!

combat_chuck

Jun 19, 2012
This is ultimately a message for tablet makers, but it starts with consumers:

I've been checking out all kinds of reviews for different tablets because I've finally justified getting one. What I've noticed is the same complaint that I have about all the phones. Every review acts like if a device is thicker than a sheet of paper or you can actually tell you are holding something by it's weight then it really is a big problem. Reviewers are allowed to think whatever they want, but my problem is that I'm pretty sure this is the only message that manufacturers get! I don't care if a tablet or phone is .04 inches thicker than it's compeditor!! If it has better features that's all I care about! Of course I don't want it to be 5 inches thick and weigh 10 lbs, but how about putting a decent battery in it instead of trying to wow people with how thin it is? If I only cared about shiney thin things I would stick with Apple.

Maybe I'm in the minority though, since I'm considering the Excite 13. Anyone else have the same complaint?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This has been an age old discussion with laptops. Weight vs. power vs. battery uptime. I have a customer more interested in the weight than anything else (because he travels so much). 1 oz. can make the difference in a purchase so the thickness, in a tound about way, is also very important. The discussions about thickness will never end.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
All my tablets are thin or at least to me they are. I didn't buy them for their thickthickness or thinness though.

uscanst56

Jun 13, 2012
It's all about what's important to the user. My thrive is one of the thickest but full size USB, HDMI, sdcards, swappable battery made it appealing to me.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Supposedly the manufacturers have done the studies, particularly with phones, and those studies routinely reveal that we want thinness above all else including battery life (and ironically bigger screens on phones). I don't know who these study groups are but that's what they say.

Last edited:

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
This is ultimately a message for tablet makers, but it starts with consumers:

I've been checking out all kinds of reviews for different tablets because I've finally justified getting one. What I've noticed is the same complaint that I have about all the phones. Every review acts like if a device is thicker than a sheet of paper or you can actually tell you are holding something by it's weight then it really is a big problem. Reviewers are allowed to think whatever they want, but my problem is that I'm pretty sure this is the only message that manufacturers get! I don't care if a tablet or phone is .04 inches thicker than it's compeditor!! If it has better features that's all I care about! Of course I don't want it to be 5 inches thick and weigh 10 lbs, but how about putting a decent battery in it instead of trying to wow people with how thin it is? If I only cared about shiney thin things I would stick with Apple.

Maybe I'm in the minority though, since I'm considering the Excite 13. Anyone else have the same complaint?

hi, i tend to agree that as long as weight isnt compromised to an absurd level, thickness of a tab is pretty unimportant. i too would like better batteries or access to remove & change them if necessary. i think its more a selling point to say "look what we can do" than anything particularly useful. its accepted that tablets need to be fairly light because of their portability but, as an avid reader of ebooks its only a problem if youre holding it for any length of time, dont forget many books far outweigh most tablets. maybe in future we'll see a split between truly lightweight tabs & more powerful higher spec heavier ones. i know where my choice would be.

combat_chuck

Jun 19, 2012
Well if most people want them, that's fine, but there has to be plenty of people who would rather have more power/battery.

My guess would be that those market studies are ipad users mostly