Does Jelly Bean Have Long Term Stability Like Apple's OS?

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Short version.
I had read that with Jelly Bean there might be a move by Google to control apps, to make it more like Apple's OS in it's long term stability. Does anyone see this happening? Is it evident in actual use?

More info.
I have two tabs for the moment, an iPad 2 and a Teclast A10 Allwinner.

The A10 has ICS installed. Initially it was OK ...not bad, but now is in need of reloading the software/rom. It has progressively become more and more erratic in actual use.

The iPad; however ...always seems to right itself. It always seems quick and fresh ...and does not get bogged down. Even though I dislike the way Apple keeps a tight reign on it's OS, it does maintain itself well in actual use; unlike the Teclast with ICS ...which seems increasingly fragmented and in need of a reload.

I hate the restrictions iPad has, and love the freedom that Android OS allows.
Will it be possible for Android to give us long term operating viability as Apple now has, and not place too may restrictions on it's operation?

Thank you.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I agree that Google needed more control over the hardware and software standards but the cat is out of the bag. That's the price being paid for open source vs. a closed system.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I agree that Google needed more control over the hardware and software standards but the cat is out of the bag. That's the price being paid for open source vs. a closed system.

Plus it sounds like you are using custom ROMs from homebrew developers. You can't compare those to an entire OS developed by a corporation (iOS). Essentially you are using the hobby work of enthusiasts modifying Android as they see fit to work on your device which is the beauty of Android. It is great that you have the option at all. If you want stability with custom ROMs you need patience. Then when you find one that works stick with it instead of updating to the latest thing for one new feature vs. stability.

Android and the Jelly Bean flavor of Android has as much stability as iOS.

Good luck getting updates from Apple once they want you to buy new hardware. Have you tried using an original iPhone lately? I think it is stuck on something like iOS 3. Original iPad? Same fate and the iPad 2 only has a stay of obsolescence because it is currently Apple's "low price" option.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm actually on stock JB 4.1.1 and my tablet is steady as a rock. But I'm cautious about what apps I'll install and have needed to uninstall my share of nasties.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I'm actually on stock JB 4.1.1 and my tablet is steady as a rock. But I'm cautious about what apps I'll install and have needed to uninstall my share of nasties.

LOL, Sure it is, these apple guys like OP avoid high end androids and use cheap low end androids to compare with their high end Apple. I pay no attention to an Apple users comparison.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011

I think this is where I went wrong ...trying out different apps along the way ...not knowing that eventually it would bog down the pad.

You mention 'nasties'. What would classify as such? I have un-installed a number of apps after I realized they did not work/did not fit ...but it still has not kept the whole setup from becoming sluggish.

One app. I use that should help is SD Maid Pro. Even though it seems to have great potential to clean and correct, I am not sure it actually helps that much.

Great that Jelly Bean seems to be holding it's integrity quite well. I look forward to it in a newer aTab. :)

Thanks for the replies.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
LOL, Sure it is, these apple guys like OP avoid high end androids and use cheap low end androids to compare with their high end Apple. I pay no attention to an Apple users comparison.

Correction.

I am not an Apple guy. It is a company iPad.

I actually dislike it a lot, other than the fact that it works for most things. It is still so frustrating to try and do some of the thing I take for granted in Android.

You refer to low end Androids. I wonder if you consider the 4.1 offerings from Onda, Teclast, SmartQ ...a few others to be low end ?? I had thought these to be some of the better ones.

I think it is summed up in the comment "cats out of the bag" ...in as there has always been the chance to mess up a perfectly good aTab with spurious apps.

When I got my Teclast I did the deed ...rooting and modding till I got ICS on there properly; with Play. Still it was nerve racking for me. As I get older, I am not how well my nerves might hold out. Rooting and modding an Android tab is not for wimps. :)

I guess I just long for a good stable Android platform, without me having to pull what hair I do not have out ...trying to make it behave.

Jelly Bean looks to be headed in that direction. Hope so. :cool:

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
All allwinners are low end, check the specs of the device, if it's a quad core, then it would be high end.
Which of the devices you posted uses a quad core?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Lots of good advice in this thread. If you want to really see how good Android is, get a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. Yes, bad apps will be able to effect even the stability of these. Really that is down to poorly coded apps which are the "nasties." Sometimes you can find out if the app is any good from the reviews. Sometimes you have to install it, realize something is broken or freezing or constantly running and draining battery before realizing it is a bad app gone rogue. Usually a simple uninstall of that app corrects all of the associated issues.

JP

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Some of the worst apps are the stock apps. They my not cause stability problems but if you go to the Store and look at the ratings you'll see what I mean. With that said, most of the manufacturers have their own set of stock apps but I know most of mine are pretty poor. A for Bama's current issue the best thing you could do for yourself, and the health of your tablet would be to factory reset and start over. That will clear out ALL the trash and I'm pretty certain that before you re-install anything you'll finally get the chance to remember what a nice device you had when it was new. Then just only install what you need. Don't go bananas with the apps.

As for the nasty apps, some cause battery drain, some cause stability issues, again, as JP pointed out, due to poorly written code. Then there is the issue of all the various versions of Android that are currently in use which causes its own set of problems for the devs.

Last edited:

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
All allwinners are low end, check the specs of the device, if it's a quad core, then it would be high end.
Which of the devices you posted uses a quad core?

For now it looks as if Onda, Teclast & I think Ainol will be coming with the new A31. I guess time will tell if it has worth.

Cats meow for me would be a SmartQ 9.7 with a true quad. The new Ten4 that may show up one day may be enough ...just not a quad.

;)

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I have Windows 7 on my PC, and I am amazed how it seems to 'right' itself as long as I don't do anything stupid. I keep it clean (defrag and such) ...and a good virus protector helps.

Now on to Linux and it's sibling Android. Nothing like the above is needed, as is the case with Apple. I have often wondered about the wisdom of not having these options, especially with Android.

Well ...maybe not such an issue, after all. It apparently just boils down to having compatible apps that work together within the framework of the OS. I say this because after struggling with my Teclast for a spell now, I got rid of a simple thing like a browser (in this case Dolphin Beta) and trying another. The Opera Mini I loaded seemed to rectify a lot of issues.

So ...there it is ...I hope. I plan to leave it as is for a spell ...see if it keeps working moderately well. Hope, hope !

What would be nice if there was a sharing of apps that worked well together for a particular version of Android. Always been a lot of opinions on just good apps, but never really seen anything on how well they might all work together.
Just an idea!

OH ..if anyone has figured out I hate to reload roms and such ..you are right!
;)