Does the Viewsonic g Tablet recognize full-sized SDHC through USB host?

ttni

Apr 26, 2011
I'm trying to use the gtab to view photos taken with my camera, which uses full-sized SD cards.

For standard SD cards 2 GB or smaller, I can plug my camera right in via the full-sized USB host and look through the pictures in any file manager app (Astro, ES, etc.). However, if I use a 8 GB SDHC card in the camera, none of the file managers will find the files and the /usbdisk directory shows as empty. Same result if I put the SDHC card into a card reader and plug it in. I've tried two different 8 GB cards, a Transcend and a SanDisk Extreme.

Anyone else experience this problem? Any work arounds? I suppose I could buy a bunch of micro SDHC cards and an adapter to use them in my camera, then use the micro SDHC slot on the gtab. But I don't know if micro SDHC cards are fast enough to record HD video or do burst/RAW photos (without being ridiculously expensive).

The major selling point for me was being able to take pictures while on vacation and then view them later that day with my family without having to lug around a full-blown laptop. :<

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I do use my SD Card adapter on my tablet to read full-size cards, but have not tried anything larger than 4 Gb. That works though.

ttni

Apr 26, 2011
I do use my SD Card adapter on my tablet to read full-size cards, but have not tried anything larger than 4 Gb. That works though.

Oh, thanks for the info! So a 4 GB card works? Is it an SDHC card? From what I understand some companies did make regular SD cards that were 4 GB and did not conform to the SD standard.