Don't really get the Dock ??

ADude

Mar 4, 2011
I should mention that the Nook Color is my first Android device, although I have used some other pocket devices, laptops, etc. for years.

I don't really get the point of the Dock on the Launcher.

We have a Home Screen where you can put as many shortcuts as will fit. If you want, you can have other home screens that scroll out of view.

There is an App Drawer with all the apps.

Great.

Then across the bottom, there is a row of shortcuts which is the "Dock".

I do not see how that is different from no dock, and then having shortcuts where the Dock is ??

Perhaps there is some historical reason having to do with smaller smartphones ?

I'm curious about this (and it is hard to find anything by searching, most uses of "dock" are about "car docks"), thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ADude, welcome to the world of Android where there are at least 4 ways to do anything. :) The advantage of the doc is that regardless of what home screen you are on you can still access the dock applications. Say for eaxmple you had 7 home screens full of apps and widgets, but the only thing you really cared about was email.

Now one day you are about to play angy birds which is on home screen 7 in the bottom corner because you only use it as a time waster when you realize you need to send that urgent business email to your boss but your email applicaton is located on home screen 1 because it is important and right in the middle of all the other apps where it is easy to touch. Boom! There's the dock and the day is saved because you don't have to go digging through your home pages to find your email app.

Maybe in your real world use this isn't the case but if you had 7 pages of home screens full of widgets and apps you might want a few select apps always available.

-JP :D

ADude

Mar 4, 2011
Aha - that makes sense.

I suspected that it was something that would make more sense on a small phone screen, which it does.

On a NC, the 1024x600 screen means you have less need to be going to other home screens, and in fact, I only use one on my NC. So, the persistence of the dock in all home screens was unknown to me.

Thanks!

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
depends on how you organize your screen it makes a lot of sense for me on my tablet as i dont like it cluttered- for me i have one screen filled with reading apps, nook kindle, pulse, magazines usatoday, another screen for media - music, video, and another screen for games and my last one for utilities

on any screen i want to be able to immediately access email, text, browser and market - those go in my dock

Aha - that makes sense.

I suspected that it was something that would make more sense on a small phone screen, which it does.

On a NC, the 1024x600 screen means you have less need to be going to other home screens, and in fact, I only use one on my NC. So, the persistence of the dock in all home screens was unknown to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I always wondered myself but never asked and nowIknow, thank you,JP
gloria

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I tryed as soon as I rooted because it was a big undertaking for me and I felt I knew everything after that, but I gave up because I didn't find the way go change my name .
IknowmorethanIusetothankstothisgreatforum ( my new name, if I find the way to change it)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well I didn't see how to do it either so I guess webothdon'tknow. I did take the time to updat my sig v and avatar < though.

:)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Funny JP,...I opened a thread asking the question that I guess only our administrator or moderators can answer. My guess is that whoever put together the idea of this android tablet forum didn' t think that one day one of the members would get tired of his (her in this case ) name .
Gloria
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Btw...love your new avatar!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App