Dreambook W7 Firmware Update Guide

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
To update the Dreambook W7

1) Power off the tablet
2) Remove 3G Sim and SD Card
3) Extract the two files: udpate.zip and bootimg.tgz from the firmware file and transfer to the Dreambook (Internal Memory) root directory
4) Press and hold: return + home + power buttons together to boot into the android system recovery menu
5) Select option 2 (apply sdcard:update.zip) and press the home button
6) Select option 5 (apply sdcard:boot.img) and press the home button
7) Select option 1 (reboot system now) and press the home button to power off the tablet
8) Turn the tablet on and go to settings
9) Select "About Device" and go to "Build number"
- Check to make sure the dreambook firmware has been updated by viewing the build number.

It is advised to select: wipe data/factory reset from recovery menu before carrying out a firmware update.

PLEASE NOTE: FIRMWARE WITH HD104 or HD105 IS SPECIFIC TO DREAMBOOK HARDWARE TYPE

To check your device: goto settings / about device
This will display the Version # followed by (HD104) or (HD105) this is your dreambook hardware type

- As it has been asked a few times I thought it would be easier to find this info in a thread of its own. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
Is there any need of wiping the whole data before updating?

If I get the tablet stuck on first screen, can I do the following:
1) Copy files to SD card (and be sure they were fully copied)
2) insert the SD card (no SIM yet)
3) Press and hold: return + home + power buttons together to boot into the android system recovery menu
4) Select option 2 (apply sdcard:update.zip) and press the home button
5) Select option 5 (apply sdcard:boot.img) and press the home button
6) Select option 1 (reboot system now) and press the home button to power off the tablet?

Thanks,
Felipe

bugsheee

Apr 28, 2011
To update the Dreambook W7

1) Power off the tablet
2) Remove 3G Sim and SD Card
3) Extract the firmware files (update.zip, bootimg.tgz) to the Dreambook root directory
4) Press and hold: return + home + power buttons together to boot into the android system recovery menu

5) Select option 2 (apply sdcard:update.zip) and press the home button
6) Select option 5 (apply sdcard:boot.img) and press the home button
7) Select option 1 (reboot system now) and press the home button to power off the tablet
8) Turn the tablet on and go to settings
9) Select "About Device" and go to "Build number"
- Check to make sure the dreambook firmware has been updated by viewing the build number.

As it has been asked a few times I thought it would be easier to find this info in a thread of its own. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your guide mate, but see 2 points witch bolded, HOw to copy those file to the dreambook root directory? which is my dreambook's drive won't mounted when connected to my PC.
on point 4: my tablet didn't respons at all after showing boot logo, even I press those button when the first time I start it up. it just loading boot logo and stuck at there.

thanks!

bugsheee

Apr 28, 2011

3) Press and hold: return + home + power buttons together to boot into the android system recovery menu
6) Select option 1 (reboot system now) and press the home button to power off the tablet?

Thanks,
Felipe
HI felipe,
I Thought did someting wrong when I updating my dreambook before, such as wiping cache partition, and.. I dont remember what they called exactly, and after that I press power button, suddenly just showing boot screen..
when I try to enter recoverymode ( back button + home + power) no response at all..

thanks

gfz

Apr 22, 2011

Thanks,
Felipe

Synrgic advise to carry out a factory reset from the Android Recovery Menu prior to flashing new firmware.

I believe the update must be carried out with the firmware files on the Dreambook internal memory ONLY - not from an SD Card. (need to confirm this)

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for your guide mate, but see 2 points witch bolded, HOw to copy those file to the dreambook root directory? which is my dreambook's drive won't mounted when connected to my PC.
on point 4: my tablet didn't respons at all after showing boot logo, even I press those button when the first time I start it up. it just loading boot logo and stuck at there.

thanks!

Which firmware are you trying to flash? The Dreambook should connect to your pc without problems, maybe you can explain the procedure you are doing and we can try help. Once you have downloaded the firmware, extract the two files: update.zip and bootimg.tgz to your desktop, then transfer these two files to your Dreambook internal memory. From this point just need to continue from step 4.

bugsheee

Apr 28, 2011
Synrgic advise to carry out a factory reset from the Android Recovery Menu prior to flashing new firmware.

I believe the update must be carried out with the firmware files on the Dreambook internal memory ONLY - not from an SD Card. (need to confirm this)
so how to get into recovery menu? while my tablet did not want to go into recovery menu when pressing the back button + home + power?
when I tried to use adb shell manually I saw error messege : - exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

I think all file system are gone..

bugsheee

Apr 28, 2011
Which firmware are you trying to flash? The Dreambook should connect to your pc without problems, maybe you can explain the procedure you are doing and we can try help. Once you have downloaded the firmware, extract the two files: update.zip and bootimg.tgz to your desktop, then transfer these two files to your Dreambook internal memory. From this point just need to continue from step 4.
OK, first my tablet stay with v21 and I want to downgrade to v20, as usual, I press back+home+power button at the same time, then I choose:
1. wipe data/factory reset
2. wipe cache partition
3. Wipe boot for mfg <= I think this is a fatal mistake
4. apply sdcard:update.zip
5. apply sdcard:boot.img
6. reboot

I've been download the mfgtools-rel-ext4-et1000v104 but I dont realy know how to use it :-S

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
when updating again, does one need to manually delete the bootimg.tgz and update.zip file from the root directory that was left there from the previous update first?

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Hi , got my new Dreambook today. I was trying to apply the Flash patch update and I got errors as shown:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw system /system
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
adb push busybox system/bin/
3730 KB/s (1879356 bytes in 0.492s)
adb shell sync
adb shell chmod 777 system/bin/busybox
adb shell sync
adb shell busybox umount /mnt/extsd
umount: can't umount /mnt/extsd: No such file or directory
adb shell busybox mkfs.vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
adb shell busybox umount /cache
umount: can't umount /cache: Device or resource busy
adb shell busybox mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
mke2fs: can't format mounted filesystem
adb shell rm system/bin/busybox
adb shell reboot

And same case as Bugshee, it seems that my PC wont able to access the Internal memory when connected via USB. Any ideas why?

Thanks

kopeland

May 4, 2011
HELP please!!! my W7 wont start and even wont charge. all i remember was I press the power button down for like 1 second and the screen went black. not sure if it had shutdown or not. Anyone know how can I reset this ?? please please !!!

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Have you tried resetting it with the reset button? <where the charge light indicator is> mine has locked up before like that before i learned on the forum where the button was hidden. I had to wait for the battery to run out before it would reset itself.

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Yeah, it worked. I googled how to reset an android tablet and found out that there should be a small button that you should push using a pin to reset it. I did not find a small button on W7, so i tried to press anything that i can see, and when i pressed the charge light indicator, it worked.

damn it was scary =)