Dreambook W7. Many questions from a new owner...

QMax

Aug 9, 2011
Hello Android Gurus,
I just bought my first tablet, and I have a lot of questions about it, hope to find here some help:

1) My one is a 2nd hand tablet, with a lot of files here and there, also on the root of the internal SD.
I formatted the external SD and now is clean, can I format without risk the internal NAND from Settings/SD card & device storage ?

2) My firmware is Android 2.2, Kernel 2.6.31-g57297-dirty, Build B02V05-20110525(HD105), is this the lastest one, the so-called V25 on Synrgic website ?

3) I have a lot of doubts about firmware update. It's clear to me how to upgrade using Update_V25_HD105(for sdcard). Open the rar file and putting both bootimg.tgz and update.zip on the root of the internal SD, then reboot in system recovery.
Here is my first doubt, I cannot see as in Synrgic video tutorial the menu with 7 options, but a menu like this:

Android system recovery (3e)

Android system recovery utility

update from SD card(auto reboot)
wipe usrdata&cache(factory reset)
wipe cache
other functions...

and selecting "other options..."

switch sim5220 to PC
wipe boot for mfg
<<------back

It looks with the same options, but on 2 different menus.
Is this normal ?

4) Many doubts about MFG. If I'm not wrong, MFG works only with old Windows versions, no way to run it on my W7/x64, and also no success running a virtualized copy of XP on my Mac (on VMWare Fusion), I'm able to find 2 of 3 needed drivers but not the one needed by Android Phone that still remain yellow.
Again about MFG, what are the differencies upgrading using the way 1 (from SD) and MFG ?
I saw on Synrgic site two different files: V_22forMFG(MFG) and Update_V25_HD105(for mfg), what should I download ?
The Update_V25_HD105(for mfg) is mfgtools-rel-HD105+for+android+2.3.
Does this mean that will upgrade to Android 2.3 ?
I've done a lot of search on the forum, but I was not able to find the difference between update from SD and using MFG.
Can someone please point me to a step-by-step guide ?

5) Is there a way to install applications on external SD instead of internal (I'm thinking about my navigation software with 2Gb of maps...).

6) Last question (at the moment...). Is there available online (maybe on eBay) a good screen protector with the correct shape for my Dreambook W7 ?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Max

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Hello Android Gurus,
I just bought my first tablet, and I have a lot of questions about it, hope to find here some help:

1) My one is a 2nd hand tablet, with a lot of files here and there, also on the root of the internal SD.
I formatted the external SD and now is clean, can I format without risk the internal NAND from Settings/SD card & device storage ?

2) My firmware is Android 2.2, Kernel 2.6.31-g57297-dirty, Build B02V05-20110525(HD105), is this the lastest one, the so-called V25 on Synrgic website ?

3) I have a lot of doubts about firmware update. It's clear to me how to upgrade using Update_V25_HD105(for sdcard). Open the rar file and putting both bootimg.tgz and update.zip on the root of the internal SD, then reboot in system recovery.
Here is my first doubt, I cannot see as in Synrgic video tutorial the menu with 7 options, but a menu like this:

Android system recovery (3e)

Android system recovery utility

update from SD card(auto reboot)
wipe usrdata&cache(factory reset)
wipe cache
other functions...

and selecting "other options..."

switch sim5220 to PC
wipe boot for mfg
<<------back

It looks with the same options, but on 2 different menus.
Is this normal ?

4) Many doubts about MFG. If I'm not wrong, MFG works only with old Windows versions, no way to run it on my W7/x64, and also no success running a virtualized copy of XP on my Mac (on VMWare Fusion), I'm able to find 2 of 3 needed drivers but not the one needed by Android Phone that still remain yellow.
Again about MFG, what are the differencies upgrading using the way 1 (from SD) and MFG ?
I saw on Synrgic site two different files: V_22forMFG(MFG) and Update_V25_HD105(for mfg), what should I download ?
The Update_V25_HD105(for mfg) is mfgtools-rel-HD105+for+android+2.3.
Does this mean that will upgrade to Android 2.3 ?
I've done a lot of search on the forum, but I was not able to find the difference between update from SD and using MFG.
Can someone please point me to a step-by-step guide ?

5) Is there a way to install applications on external SD instead of internal (I'm thinking about my navigation software with 2Gb of maps...).

6) Last question (at the moment...). Is there available online (maybe on eBay) a good screen protector with the correct shape for my Dreambook W7 ?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Max

Hey Max,

You might as well just visit the "Dreambook W7 thread" for your questions.

kopeland

QMax

Aug 9, 2011
Thanks guys for your help. finally I've found time to read the entire sticky thread and found some answer to my questions.
Correct me please if I'm wrong:

1) No damages to the filesystem formatting the internal Nand (tested personally)
2) ROM Build B02V05-20110525(HD105) means V25
3) I've not found any answer about the differencies in the system recovery menu. Mine still appear splitted in 2 different menu, without the reboot option.
4) As I understand, the "normal" upgrade should be done via SD, MFG tool can be used for bricked tablets. Actually the only way to test 2.3.3 on HD105 HW revision, is using MFG tool.
Thanks to this post by Ash2Dust, I've found that MFG update can be done with Win7/x64 also, downloading updated drivers (not tested by me yet).
5) In my just updated tablet there's an option to move apps to the external SD, otherwise I could use App2SD application.
6) Thanks sarabvi for the link, but I suppose this is a 7" screen protector that will protect your active screen only, not the entire W7 panel.
I've found 4 customized screen protector for W7: Savvies Crystal-Clear, Vikuti ADQC27, Vikuti DQC160 and the most expensive Vikuti Mobile Privacy.
I bought the ADQC27 model (they shipped from Germany, 2 days for delivery in Italy) but...
The main shape and the Home button hole are correct, but holes for camera and ambient light sensor are wrong:

$DreamBook W7.jpg

Does someone know if moving from hw revision HD104 to HD105 Synrgic changed the camera/light sensor position ???

Max

EDIT: I received the new screen protector and now it's correct. I think this is the only screen protector available for W7

Last edited: