Drivers, Drivers Problems, Driver Fixes, Unknown Device, Drivers, Drivers, Drivers

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Drivers, Drivers Problems, Driver Fixes, Unknown Device, Drivers, Drivers, Drivers

Many people suffer with driver problems. Unfortunately there is very little help for driver problems.
So, I started this thread to discuss Coby ICS driver problems and solutions.

-----------------
First off, you can solve lots of driver problems by installing these two: (PDNet and Motorolla Drivers)
PDNet Program from HERE
Motorolla Drivers from HERE

ALSO
How To Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices - (Lots of great advice for setting up your PC with correct Android Device Drivers)
How To Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices (Updated 12/13/11) - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr

USB Device Not Recognized - (Lots of Fixes and Tips)
USB Device Not Recognized

Use the THANK Button. If someone provides helpful advice ... Click the THANK button (on the right)

Last edited:

josh32393

Dec 26, 2012
I was having an extremely hard time installing the driver for my coby MID7042. Oddly enough the key was to install the motorolla drivers and update the driver using "ADB interface" and "MOT Composite ADB Interface".
-REALLY BIG THANKS

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
This thread was one of the few from the Livesuite days that was worthwhile keeping. I had provided the drivers direct from Google along with instructions installing them in another thread, but I understand they aren't working for everyone despite my testing them.

It's good you got your problem solved. :)

kgb999

Oct 18, 2013
I know this is an old thread and it seems the drivers on this thread are working, but here's a bit of information that might be useful if having difficulty installing ADB drivers for the Coby MID7042 (or any similar tablet).

I was having trouble getting the drivers linked on a different thread (posted by Traveller1701) to work. The system kept saying the file had no suitable drivers for the device. I ended up solving the issue by making the following addition to the android_usb.inf file:

;
; Coby MID7042
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01

It seems that a good rule of thumb when dealing with drivers that don't work for a device that should be compatible is to try looking up the proper "Matching Device Id" under the devices' properties in the device manager. If the Id is a little off from the entries in the .inf file, Windows won't recognize the driver as compatible. In that case, another few lines need to be added to the .inf file.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Was that in addition to the Coby modifications I had already made to the .INF file? If so, your comment about the "Matching Device ID" being a bit off would definitely be on the mark.

kgb999

Oct 18, 2013
Yeah. I added my lines beneath the Kyros entry you already had. I'm sort of a noob at the hardware stuff, but my assumption is that the ID you used is likely related to older-revision tablets.

Extending that assumption in the other direction ... I figured there's a good chance they may do it again for future revisions as well, so the knowledge of how to properly modify the script may be generally useful if the current solution becomes outdated and people end up banging their heads against this again.

The two things I learned from working through the issue are (a) how easy it is to coerce a driver install script into recognizing new devices and (b) where to find a device's proper identifier using the device manager.

Thanks for posting the drivers and putting me on the right path.

kgb999

Oct 18, 2013
There won't be any future revisions. Coby is out of business as of the end of August.

I don't think Coby is out of business (at least not yet). They were acquired by Gordon Brothers.

According to the GB press release, the plan is to pump in capital and try to get stuff back on the market late 2013. Of course, August 28 is arguably *already* pretty late in 2013. I dunno. We'll see what happens.

Any way it goes, I imagine Coby won't be the only low-end tablet maker who's devices will need to be manually added to an ADB driver install script.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...s-sold-value-brand-doesn-t-equal-success.html

I'm well aware of the press release and what it says as I posted the news item above several days ago. What Gordon Brothers will do with the Coby name is anyone's guess, but Coby Electronics is de facto defunct as of August 28th. One need only talk to the people who did what they were told and sent their tablets to Coby along with $15 only to get nothing in return to see the truth in that.

byrdie1010

Nov 26, 2012
I have been having a majorly impossible time installing the USB driver for an Acer tablet to my WinXP tablet. I'd try to use your solution, but I'm not as computer savvy and I wouldn't know where in the .inf file to put the lines of code you have included in your post. The .inf file that I have has some 70 lines of code plus comments. If you've got any suggestions, please !

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you downloaded my drivers, the "Coby Kyros" lines in the WindowsXP android_winusb.inf were the ones I added immediately beneath the [Google.NTx86] heading. Simply replace them with yours, in the same format. Make sure to rename the comment from "Coby Kyros" to Whatever Acer names their tablets as.