DroPad help?

kcw93

Jan 24, 2012
Hello everyone, this is my first tablet. I purchased and received this DroPad A8T? tablet from Dropad - Android 2.3 Tablet with 7 Inch Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen (WiFi, 1.2GHz CPU, Camera, 1080P, External 3G) - US$ 149.99 and while it runs very smoothly, the access to the Marketplace is extremely limited! Down in the LOW hundreds. There is a strange app that was pre-installed called "Updatter" and when opened, prompts to download something called "712b-2.3.18" now, I downloaded this 90mb .img file and when completed, it says to reboot the device. I turned my device off/on but nothing has ever changed. Many .apk files do not even install.. things like Facebook for Android and even YouTube (which is pre-installed) doesn't work. Under the "About device" it states:

Updatter
Status - Battery, etc.
Legal information
Model number - MID_Serials
Android version - 2.3
Baseband version - Unknown
Kernel version - 2.6.35.7 MID Serials #187 Fri Oct 28 03:34:33 EDT 2011
Build number - MID Serials 2.3 GINGERBREAD 20111024.162719

Any help on the "Updatter"/.img file issue and anything else would be very much appreciated! It is a good device but the lack of access to the full Android market renders the tablet almost useless. I have downloaded some .apk files, Facebook and YouTube, but they do not install so that method will not work here. Is this device rooted, does it need to be? It apparently needs to be updated but I dont know what to do with the upgrade.img file or how it works. Please help me here!

EDIT: I wanted to add for more info that on the Market through google on a desktop, under every app it shows my devices and for nearly all apps, it displays "Verizon Unknown MID_Serials" for this tablet. Do I need to somehow change this? Please, any all help will be appreciated.

UPDATE: ok guys, so I managed to update the tab in some sense. "About Device" now states:
About Device
Urbetter Updater
Status - Battery, etc.
Legal Information
Model Number - MID_Serials
Android Version 2.3
Baseband Version - Unknown
Kernal Version - 2.6.35.7 MID Serials #30 Fri Sep 23 04:58:32 EDT 2011
Build number - MID Serials 2.3 GINGERBREAD 20110921.113041

I'm not sure what any of this means, but nothing but the "Updatter" changing to "Urbetter Updater" is different. Still very few apps compatible. Also, the "Urbetter Updater" downloads "712b_gingerbread_2.3.18_20110924.img.rar.partial" I don't know what any of this means so again, any and all help will be very much appreciated! Thanks.

UPDATE: okay, so after rooting the device I was able to edit the density. After rebooting and clearing Market data, many more apps are now available! Still wondering if I need to change model number or anything like that so please help if you can! Thanks.

Last edited:

sunsunny123

Feb 3, 2012
Hi I have same problem I have a8 dropad 2.3.18 gingerbread 20110924 but cant get full market apps it keeps telling me it is not compatible with apps i also tried rom update but makes no difference any help would be welcome not sure how to change density

kromanstl

Feb 16, 2012
Hi I have same problem I have a8 dropad 2.3.18 gingerbread 20110924 but cant get full market apps it keeps telling me it is not compatible with apps i also tried rom update but makes no difference any help would be welcome not sure how to change density
First you have to root the get root explorer after that open root explorer then find build.prop press and hold the build.prop then open text editor after that scroll down to lcd change it from 200 to 160 and remove the # sign from in front of that line and then save and restart the tab and thats it

yuifann

Aug 6, 2011
I am not able to save the changes with Txt editor for Build.Prop.
Can you advise for an alternative? :p

Thanks & Best Regards,
Yui

dabesiv

Mar 16, 2012
UPDATE: okay, so after rooting the device I was able to edit the density. After rebooting and clearing Market data, many more apps are now available! Still wondering if I need to change model number or anything like that so please help if you can! Thanks.
Can you either explain how to root or point me in the direction of where to learn, i can't find anything that's worked.

kcw93

Jan 24, 2012
Can you either explain how to root or point me in the direction of where to learn, i can't find anything that's worked.

Sure, from New Dropad A8T available - SlateDroid.com

1: run ginger break (ALREADY INSTALLED WITH dropad a8t unBrick.rar ) ID NOT DOWNLOAD IT FROM (
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1044765)
2: run adb shell (on your PC)
3: cd /system/bin
4: ./su

4.1: super user app should ask you do allow this (ON DROPAD SREEN)

5: rm /system/busybox/bin/su

6: REBOOT AND 100% ROOT

tmf2004

Apr 28, 2012
I just got my Dropad A8 tablet today from DealExtreme. This is my first tablet and bought it new for $138.00... I just recently found that Updatter thing 712b-2.3 that the OP found. Is this important or necessary to download? I'm not really looking to Root mainly to play games and run the Torque App for my car. Although the market place is limited the tablet is pretty nice for the money...

Thanks

timtak

Dec 17, 2012
I am thinking of a dropad since they seem to fulfill my criterior
Android
7 inch
GPS (want to log big rides and not get lost)
TF (hopefully for expandability)
OTG (full size keyboard)

There is conflicting information on whether these tablets GPS work or not. I would only need rough logging and google maps.
I am also not sure if the Dropad's that have TF card have a SIM card (or whether only one or the other).

Ideally I would like it to replace my phone -- using it as a 7inch smart phone. I am not sure if my Japanese carrier is at all compatible (i am with au).

Update Since my Japanese provider's SIMS don't work in anything but their own hardware, I gave up on a SIM. I bought a Smartq X7 for its GPS speed of operation.

Last edited: