Dumb G-Mail question

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Its time for my once a year trip to France! And I really only use my A500 when I travel so I'm getting it out of mothballs, testing it out and loading up a bunch of stuff I want on it for the trip. My dumb question is when there is an attachment in the G-Mail app, how do you save the attachment to memory. Its a simple and small JPG and while in G-Mail when I tap on the attachment it is shown in a separate window slightly larger and I can zoom in on it but I still would like to save it separately from G-Mail. I tried double tapping, long tapping and looked in settings but couldn't find any place to save it as a JPG file. ALSO, as I was typing this I find I can no longer type ENTER to go to a new line or to add some white space. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do that. Is this some new "feature" of this forum? I'm using IE 10 under Win 7 64bit.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
For a jpg file, tap on it. The image will open in the viewer. In there, tap on the menu button on the top right corner, and make your choice. If you select Save, then file will be placed in the Download folder.

For an audio file, or other file with no associated viewer, the menu button will be on the right side of the attachment item.

I don't see the whitespace problem. It may have been temporary, or an issue with your browser configuration. The forum admins may be able to shed some light on that. The next time you see the problem, you may want to try selecting the "go advanced" button.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
as I was typing this I find I can no longer type ENTER to go to a new line or to add some white space.

Hopefully, Mrhelper's advice will allow you to save the attachment. With regard to the "white space" problem, I'm using Firefox under W7X64 Ultimate and everything's working perfectly. Maybe it was a momentary glitch:confused:

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
For a jpg file, tap on it. The image will open in the viewer. In there, tap on the menu button on the top right corner, and make your choice. If you select Save, then file will be placed in the Download folder.

For an audio file, or other file with no associated viewer, the menu button will be on the right side of the attachment item.

I don't see the whitespace problem. It may have been temporary, or an issue with your browser configuration. The forum admins may be able to shed some light on that. The next time you see the problem, you may want to try selecting the "go advanced" button.

Hi Mrhelper,

Thanks for the info. Its easy when you know where to look. But I swear I looked all over the place for a menu INCLUDING when I tapped the image and it showed up in the viewer. I've seen the symbol for a menu all over the place but for some reason I didn't see it in the viewer. Now I see it and I was able to successfully save the image!

Hopefully, Mrhelper's advice will allow you to save the attachment. With regard to the "white space" problem, I'm using Firefox under W7X64 Ultimate and everything's working perfectly. Maybe it was a momentary glitch:confused:

As far as the white space, I got a private message from another admin with a time stamp later than the last post here and he said he was having similar problems with this forum and others that use the same forum software. I just tried it and I'm cannot put in any ENTERs when I'm using IE v10. However I'm actually writing this with FireFox and the white space here is just fine!

So something got screwed up when using IE v10 or one of the updates to it. However I've been using it as soon as it came out and this is the first time I've had any problems with it. I do think the Admins need to look into this to see if its a problem with the forum software, which should work properly with any browser, or a problem with IE10.

Gerry

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I do think the Admins need to look into this to see if its a problem with the forum software, which should work properly with any browser, or a problem with IE10.

Hi Gerry, I just tried using IE v10 and the same thing happened to me. I'll report it to the software folks and see what can be done.:cool:

Spider

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2010
Can you check if you're still having the problem in IE10? We've installed a plugin to restrict the IE compatibility mode which sometimes causes errors on the forum.

Its time for my once a year trip to France! And I really only use my A500 when I travel so I'm getting it out of mothballs, testing it out and loading up a bunch of stuff I want on it for the trip. My dumb question is when there is an attachment in the G-Mail app, how do you save the attachment to memory. Its a simple and small JPG and while in G-Mail when I tap on the attachment it is shown in a separate window slightly larger and I can zoom in on it but I still would like to save it separately from G-Mail. I tried double tapping, long tapping and looked in settings but couldn't find any place to save it as a JPG file. ALSO, as I was typing this I find I can no longer type ENTER to go to a new line or to add some white space. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do that. Is this some new "feature" of this forum? I'm using IE 10 under Win 7 64bit.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Can you check if you're still having the problem in IE10? We've installed a plugin to restrict the IE compatibility mode which sometimes causes errors on the forum.

I'm answering this with IE 10 and . . . . the white space is working (as you can see)!!!

When I first noticed this I did try the compatibility mode but that didn't help, but the default has always been the normal mode.

So what ever was done corrected the problem!

Thanks!
Gerry