Early Review of Nook Tablet vs. Fire and other tabs

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A pretty good first impression review of the Nook Tablet. As a reader/tablet is bests the Fire in this review. As a tablet in general it falls a little short (until it is rooted anyway ;) )

Nook Tablet: Hands-on with Barnes & Noble's alternative to the Kindle Fire - ComputerworldIf you just want the conclusion here you go.

"Though B&N clearly missed a few opportunities to forge ahead of the 7-inch tablet pack, these omissions were undoubtedly carefully calculated trade-offs necessitated by the need to achieve an attractive price. And attractive it is: At $250, the Nook Tablet is a bargain compared with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus (shipping now) and the Thrive 7" (shipping in December), both priced at $399. It's also far cheaper than the SpringBoard ($440 across its two-year contract, plus monthly mobile broadband payments).

As for how the Nook Tablet tracks with the Kindle Fire, here's our first take: For reading, you're better off with the Nook Tablet. For everything else, check back soon to read our full evaluation of the Nook Tablet, and to see where it fits into the current tablet landscape."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Cnet's take: Nook Tablet hands-on: Can it fight the Fire? | E-book readers - CNET Reviews

"Our initial impressions

The landscape of tablets has suddenly changed, and in a considerable, fundamental way. The iPad defined a tablet as a computer alternative; however, thanks to the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet, tablets might be equally seen as affordable, incredibly versatile e-readers. The Nook Tablet has an aggressive price and an impressive set of features, and hardware that bests the Fire in several respects. However, it lacks the native music and video stores that Amazon bakes into the Fire, relying on third-party streaming apps instead. Which option is best for you depends on whether you value a video store over greater storage, or, simply, which service you already own more books on, since the Nook won't display Kindle books and vice versa.

Make no mistake, however: the competition in this entry-level tablet space is aggressive, and it's quite likely that there may not be a clear-cut winner. This may well be more of a "Pepsi versus Coke" situation, where personal preferences and brand affiliation trump hardware and software considerations.

Check back for our full review tomorrow."

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Cnet's take: Nook Tablet hands-on: Can it fight the Fire? | E-book readers - CNET Reviews

"Our initial impressions

The landscape of tablets has suddenly changed, and in a considerable, fundamental way. The iPad defined a tablet as a computer alternative; however, thanks to the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet, tablets might be equally seen as affordable, incredibly versatile e-readers. The Nook Tablet has an aggressive price and an impressive set of features, and hardware that bests the Fire in several respects. However, it lacks the native music and video stores that Amazon bakes into the Fire, relying on third-party streaming apps instead. Which option is best for you depends on whether you value a video store over greater storage, or, simply, which service you already own more books on, since the Nook won't display Kindle books and vice versa.

Make no mistake, however: the competition in this entry-level tablet space is aggressive, and it's quite likely that there may not be a clear-cut winner. This may well be more of a "Pepsi versus Coke" situation, where personal preferences and brand affiliation trump hardware and software considerations.

Check back for our full review tomorrow."

It sounds like it is nook tablet for me. I can always use the browser to access amazon prime plus i can enjoy it more on my superior screen :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk