ePad 8003 (8" 800Mhz) - software issues

terminus

Nov 21, 2010
I have an ePad 8003, which appears to be this and/or maybe this.

I'm having some software-related problems. The pad is running Android 2.2 FRF85B. Firstly, after I set the time, I think I turned on "Set automatically" in the Date & Time settings, and now I can't get back in to those settings... the link is disabled. Consequently, I can't change the time again.

Second, the Wifi is not turned on on boot. I'm pretty sure when I first got it, it was turned on on boot, and I don't remember doing anything to change that.

Third, some apps crash immediately. AndroZip (installed by default in the ROM) is one of them. Another app I downloaded, Mark/Space Missing Sync for Android, is another.

Fourth, the Android Marketplace (I have two apps for it - AndAppStore and AppOnHand, though the latter is in Chinese) is missing a lot of apps that I know should be there. I only have 1,415 apps in total. How do I get the rest?

Fifth, I can't root it. There are two main methods as I understand it - one of them is to install the files from a shell after booting Android (which requires write access to a /tmp directory), and the other is to do it from a system restore menu using an update.zip file (which requires a menu option to load the update file from the SD card).

The first of these options doesn't work for me because I don't have a /tmp directory. The second doesn't work because my system restore menu doesn't come up with an option to update from a zip file on the SD card.

Well, a lot of different issues here. Maybe I'll break them up into individual forums if I don't get any luck here.

Thanks!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
For root, try SuperOneClick. Should have everything you need to get root, provided that you have ADB access.
The apps crashing is a common issue on this tablet resolution and is one of the reasons I can't recommend it.
The wifi problem is common to the platform.

To set date manually, you can do 'adb shell date' and use the Linux date setting command.

terminus

Nov 21, 2010
For root, try SuperOneClick. Should have everything you need to get root, provided that you have ADB access.
The apps crashing is a common issue on this tablet resolution and is one of the reasons I can't recommend it.
The wifi problem is common to the platform.

To set date manually, you can do 'adb shell date' and use the Linux date setting command.

Thanks - I thought this post had not gone through, so I'm glad to see it had. Meanwhile I had managed to root it manually using ADB; SuperOneClick had not worked but I am comfortable with the command line. Now that I have root I can also use the "date" command, but how weird that I have to resort to that...

SenK9

Oct 31, 2010
I have an APad IMX515, which is identical in the specifications, pictures and software version number to yours (FRF85B). I also have date/time problem, and the "wifi is off at bootup" problem. I believe both of these issues are linked to software issues, which will hopefully be ironed out in a future firmware release. I have emailed the manufacturer to see if there are any fixes to it.

As for the Android Marketplace, it doesn't have official Google apps on there (Gmail / GTalk / Market / Maps) as it's not a licensed product, so these are alternative non-official markets with less apps. However, it's fairly easy to install these, you can download them in a "GApps" Package from the Cyanogen site - Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki. Just grab the APKs for the programs you want and install them with a file explorer (or over ADB if you know how). I now have these + market running and it installs official market apps without a problem.

terminus

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks SenK9, that's really useful to know. If you do get news of a firmware update, please follow up to this thread or PM me.

Cheers.

andre74

Dec 2, 2010
Hello, this is my very first post about Android ever, on the second day I own my first tablet, so excuse my inaccuracies and please give help and advise.
I got an M802 with 8'' 800 x 600 screen, with iMX515 800MHz A8, 512 RAM, 4GB memory and Android 2.2 *directly from China* which I think is the same as the models you mention. It's pretty fast and nice. I have none of the problems above, except the lack of Android Market, there's one program AppOnHand that's in Chinese mostly and doesn't seem to function at all (it downloads but not completing installation of anything).

- How can I solve this? WHAT should I download from Cyanogen you mention above ?

-Another problem is that although my mother language (Greek) is installed, there's no Greek Keyboard to use. How can I solve this?

Please direct me to what I should read in the forum, I am able with a PC but ignorant with Android. MANY THANKS my friends !

Last edited:

terminus

Nov 21, 2010
I have none of the problems above, except the lack of Android Market, there's one program AppOnHand that's in Chinese mostly and doesn't seem to function at all (it downloads but not completing installation of anything).

- How can I solve this? WHAT should I download from Cyanogen you mention above?

I have the same issue with AppOnHand, and am unsure if it could be fixed without a firmware update.

With Cyanogen's Google Apps package, download the hi-res version from the wiki. It takes the form of an update.zip that you should be able to flash to the device from a system restore mode that you enter by turning the unit on while holding the circle button and Home. However, for me I don't get that option on the system restore menu.

Instead, just transfer the .apk files that are inside the zip file to the device over USB and install them with one of the included file managers. However for me, the only one that worked was Youtube. Maps came already installed on my device.

dickson

Dec 6, 2010
I have an APad IMX515, which is identical in the specifications, pictures and software version number to yours (FRF85B). I also have date/time problem, and the "wifi is off at bootup" problem. I believe both of these issues are linked to software issues, which will hopefully be ironed out in a future firmware release. I have emailed the manufacturer to see if there are any fixes to it.

As for the Android Marketplace, it doesn't have official Google apps on there (Gmail / GTalk / Market / Maps) as it's not a licensed product, so these are alternative non-official markets with less apps. However, it's fairly easy to install these, you can download them in a "GApps" Package from the Cyanogen site - Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki. Just grab the APKs for the programs you want and install them with a file explorer (or over ADB if you know how). I now have these + market running and it installs official market apps without a problem.

I am sorry, which package should I Download??
Tiny? MDPI? Tegra? or HDPI?

dickson

Dec 6, 2010
I have got this 8003 too yesterday.
I have another issue that is charging.
I must charge the device when it is on.
I use power2usb to charge it and the light of power2usb power supplyer on when the 8003 is on only.
So how about yours? how do you charge your device?

AND the WIFI is very unstable,
i need to reboot the device before using the wifi
it always cannot scan any wifi network
Hopefully there will be any new firmware

dickson

Dec 6, 2010
How to get into the recovery mode in 8003?
I would like to try flashing it but i cannot get into the recovery mode in this
device.
I want to reflash it in order to slove all problems

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
For the Apad branded one

Android marketplace was a known issue, awaiting a firmware patch. Firmware releases are pending encryption because of similar products. Details (Chinese) here.

There's some information for the other tablet floating around. Some information on Slatedroid might be able to help you.