Even more questions

Joar

Jan 6, 2012
Hi. I got some (more) questions that I'd like to know before I buy a tablet.

1. Is there a good reason that smartphones are so much more popular than tablets? I mean, I personally think tablets seems MUCH cooler (and more useful) than a smartphone. Is there anything a smartphone can do that a tablet can't?
2. Is it possible to upgrade a 3g tablet to a 4g one, by changing a card or something? Or is it builth into the tablet?
3. Is it possible for tablet developers to garantee that their tablet will be able to do x number of OS upgrades, or does that depend on how the new OS is designed?
4. Say that a new, better type of battery was invented. Do you think it would be possible to replace a tablet's battery? Or the processor?

TYVM for any help.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
My input on question 1. Size is it. I have an Evo; its size fits perfectly in my hand. The screen size is easy on the eyes. I also have the Acer Icona and use it extensively for written. However, due to its size, holding it for an extended period of time is uncomfortable.

Would I like a 7" device? There are times I would; but not routinely. I use spreadsheets extensively and after a while, the larger screen on the Icona is calling me to use it.

Frankly, consider what you plan to use it for, how long you expect to normally hold it, how good your eye sight is.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Joar

Jan 6, 2012
Yeah, a 10- inch tablet is a bit too big for my taste. I'll probably buy a 7 or 8- inch one. Does anybody have answers for my other questions?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
1 - The biggest thing a smartphone can do that a tablet cannot is a phone will fit in your pocket.
2 - The Xoom came out with 3G. When 4G version was launched, users could send it in for an upgrade. Took about 2 weeks to do the upgrade, but it was not self-upgradable. It requires new radios and antennas inside the device.
3 - This is a tough one. I know some newer devices (released in the past 6-12 months) are not going to get Ice Cream Sandwich because the OS takes up more room on the system partition than the OEM had planned for. The hardware can handle the OS, but they cannot just roll it out OTA so they have opted to leave them at Gingerbread or Honeycomb. I am quite sure that many of the aspects of the next OS are not known as to whether it will fit on the device, or how the hardware will handle the kernels and if it will run smoothly. (Like running Win7 on some 5-6 year old PC's - it will run, but the experience is sub par).
4 - All tablets that I have seen do not have a user replacable battery. They are usually hard-soldered in and the user needs to open the case (voiding the warranty) to replace the battery.