[Exclusive] New 'Tablet' Pricing Structure at Verizon May Be Coming

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
vz-new-tab-pricing.png

Some of our insider sources at Verizon have indicated that there may be some shakeup in the pricing structure of tablets at Verizon very soon. The full details remain a mystery at the moment, and it's possible that the news could be good, bad, or even both. The speculation is that the two-year contract pricing we're seeing right now for the Xoom may be extended to other tablets, and that it may be Verizon's way of testing the waters to implement this type of contract revenue stream pricing for future tablets as well.

The bad of this might be that Verizon pushing their two-year contracts on tablets may not sit very well with many consumers. Although they have similarities, a tablet isn't a smartphone, and people may not view their usage in the same way.

The good out of this may be if they do extend this pricing scheme to other tablets, then it could potentially drop the initial purchase of the tablet and make them more affordable. For example, right now Verizon doesn't offer the Samsung Galaxy Tab on contract. If they did, we 'might' see it drop to $299 with a 2 year contract, since the Motorola Xoom is $799, but only $599 with 2 year contract.

We will obviously keep our feelers out for more intel. In the meantime, let us know what you think of this potentiality in the forums.

Thanks for the tip, JFMFT!

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
I could understand a one year contract, but tablet tech is moving too fast for a two year deal. I don't think many people will be keeping these devices as long as their phones..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mgoony

Apr 8, 2010
Not sure if this 2 year contract discount is going to work in the long run given the speed of hardware upgrades.

Imagine being locked into a two year contract on your then cool netbook?