Experiment Is Over, Bricked my Coby Tablet, Now: What Else To Buy (Or None At All?)

larrytxeast

Apr 7, 2011
Well I feel rather silly. After only a week with my Coby MID7015 tablet (did I get the model number right?), in a moment of frustration I chunked it on the floor & broke it.

What inspired me to do that totally immature thing? Typing on the screen. Although I'm spoiled with my Blackberry's physical keyboard, I've gotten used to it on my Samsung Captivate, but for some reason--today anyway--I just couldn't type a freaking thing at all without making zillions of typos all over the place. Either I kept hitting the wrong letter or it would "lag" to keep up with me, with the screen pausing only to then go "you rtsxer" or whatever really fast when I caught up with me.

I am wondering if the resistive screen vs the capacitive is the reason why. I don't miss multi-gestures, the only one I used was pinch-to-zoom for enlarging links to be large enough to click on, but since the Coby accepted stylus input, I just did that if the links were small--no problem. But when typing out words, at times--not always, but at times (like today), the need to seemingly press the keys as hard as if I'm trying to squash Godzilla really seemed to hurt. I actually found I could type faster, often-times, on my Samsung Captivate, despite it being a 4" device vs a 7" device.

Angry Birds played okay on my Coby, I had learned how to root it and how to apply the graphics fix, all was well, but the "latency" with the touch-screen when doing many other things was somewhat aggravating, but ESPECIALLY when it caused me to type a bunch of goobly-gock.

$100 wasted, that was stupid.

I guess the question I have will merit a reply of "only you know if you can live with tablet PCs" or "grow up first, brat!" or whatever, but is typing on a tablet really this hard often-times and thus maybe I'm just "not a tablet guy," or is it a function of the resistive screen? If that's the case, are there other economical models which would do better, or am I perhaps better off waiting & saving up my coins for a Wi-Fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab? Assuming I still had the Coby, is there a compact USB-based keyboard which could've helped at such times, or would using that have defeated the purpose of having a tablet PC to start with (might as well have a netbook)? Or would maybe some form of overclocking it have helpd?

For the record, I had downloaded and installed the "iPhone Keyboard Emulator" as I had on my phone, its keys tend to be larger and easier to press, and yes--I had turned off the haptic & audible feedbacks so it would not have those as forms of lag/latency etc.

LRH

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
Lol, i use thickbuttons keyboard, it anticipates what i want.
you might as well get something better. The archos a500 will be out soon, it's a $150 less than xoom.

larrytxeast

Apr 7, 2011
kerry_s I had heard of thickbuttons, I had dismissed it because my thought was I just need a decent-sized keyboard with no gimmicks, I don't know that my typing has any patterns to it that something like that could "flex" towards, and after all I'm actually doing pretty good right now on my Samsung Captivate and have resisted thoughts of going back to Blackberry over the need for a physical.

I don't know if it is the resistive-screen vs capacitive-screen, as I did often-times do okay with it. But the latency was aggravating at times (double-tapping to zoom, selecting a link etc), if that is what make the keyboard goof up that would explain a lot, I don't know. I'm mad at myself, I could've just sold it to someone, not wasted $100 over a hot moment. Argh!

LRH

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Man lol ... Really want you wnt to ask yourself is why do i want a tablet ? The coby being my first tablet i new i wanted to root and try things with it that i was scared to do with my phone... I also knew that it wasn't going to be more than a web browser tool and a music player for the most part... Typing on it is a chore and trying different keyboards is a must .. I used better keyboard .. It was still laggy and would freeze from time to time. When we got wateryrom the lag was down to a random accurance but still happens... If you want a tablet to take the place of a netbook then don't get the coby... this is more of a beginners tab and something that you will move thru quickly... I would like to check out the newer models to see if they will be worth selling but havent got my hands on 1 yet... Goodluck...

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
For the price of these Cobys I've learned to live with its shortcomings. I'm sure you can find something you'll love in the $500-600 range and may be less prone to chuck it to the floor. :)

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
My wife wants to get a second Coby 7015. I'm stalling, waiting for low priced tablets that have so much RAM and CPU that they can run Windows. Not for Windows but to load Linux on it. My favorite thing about Windows is it pumps up the hardware specs of whats on the market.
Twice I've had the misfortune of my Coby falling out of my coat pocket. After the second fall the speaker no longer works, earphones still work. It hit the snow and asphalt in a Menard's parking lot two weeks ago.
Bricked is not the right word though for willful destruction. Bricked implies you found a Format C: kind of thing.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Ridgeland, you may have a very long wait at least in the $100-150 range. Agree with the bricking thing. Maybe he means he treated it like a brick.
I guess I'm one of the poor folks here. Even at $130 the Coby is too much money to throw on the floor. Just me. It does what I want for the price.

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
popeye1128,
Right.
We're not planning to seriously shop until the fall. But I'm hoping $250 will get me to Linux by then.

larrytxeast

Apr 7, 2011
Ridgeland, you may have a very long wait at least in the $100-150 range. Agree with the bricking thing. Maybe he means he treated it like a brick.
I guess I'm one of the poor folks here. Even at $130 the Coby is too much money to throw on the floor. Just me. It does what I want for the price.

Yes popeye1128, I feel bad, I owe you an apology maybe. After you posted such painfully-detailed step-by-steps explaining to me how to root my Coby, and then I do a silly thing like that! I hope you don't hold it against me if I get another one, or something else.

Yes $100 wasted is actually kind of "too much money to throw on the floor," I agree 100%. Believe me, I'm one of the "poor ones" myself. It happened so fast, it was like--what just happened?

I had been doing okay prior to that, even got Angry Birds to work on it after downloading the graphic fix they talk about. Most of the time I was fine with it, found it a joy to use even despite its latency with the touch-screen, but on occasion its typing would act goofy, and it just happened to do it at a time when, I guess, I was already irritated at something else.

At times I've thought that I'm just not a touch-screen person, I'm forever toying with the idea of selling my Samsung Captivate and getting a slider or, say, a Blackberry Torch. But everytime I'm about to I use it & actually type pretty good on it, and I think--maybe I'll be okay.

I already asked, but before I do--in the event I try a Coby again, are there any USB-powered keyboards which could help on those occasions, or would that defeat the purpose of having a tablet to start with, even if its usage was just part-time?

LRH

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
We've tried two small USB keyboards. A Sakar flexible (roll up) keyboard from Fry's for $13 and didn't like it enough, bad key feel. Then we got a hard, metal backed mini keyboard for $15 at OfficeDepot. The second one is a winner. The brand is a GearHead, it's about 5x11 inches. We got it for bicycle travel to create web-pages while on the road.
But every USB keyboard we have worked. A wired Dell full size keyboard, a wireless HP keyboard and a wireless Logitech with a USB receiver. Don't expect to use a mouse though.
There are other threads that discuss keyboards and USB devices.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Yes popeye1128, I feel bad, I owe you an apology maybe. After you posted such painfully-detailed step-by-steps explaining to me how to root my Coby, and then I do a silly thing like that! I hope you don't hold it against me if I get another one, or something else.

Yes $100 wasted is actually kind of "too much money to throw on the floor," I agree 100%. Believe me, I'm one of the "poor ones" myself. It happened so fast, it was like--what just happened?

I had been doing okay prior to that, even got Angry Birds to work on it after downloading the graphic fix they talk about. Most of the time I was fine with it, found it a joy to use even despite its latency with the touch-screen, but on occasion its typing would act goofy, and it just happened to do it at a time when, I guess, I was already irritated at something else.

At times I've thought that I'm just not a touch-screen person, I'm forever toying with the idea of selling my Samsung Captivate and getting a slider or, say, a Blackberry Torch. But everytime I'm about to I use it & actually type pretty good on it, and I think--maybe I'll be okay.

I already asked, but before I do--in the event I try a Coby again, are there any USB-powered keyboards which could help on those occasions, or would that defeat the purpose of having a tablet to start with, even if its usage was just part-time?

LRH
If it is truly "all bust up" and you have given up, would you like to sell the poor dead body for scrap? If you would like, just PM me. I would like to have one to tear apart but I don't want to break one.

larrytxeast

Apr 7, 2011
If it is truly "all bust up" and you have given up, would you like to sell the poor dead body for scrap? If you would like, just PM me. I would like to have one to tear apart but I don't want to break one.

Yes indeed, I'd be happy to, I sent a PM about that as you asked.

While I'm at it, if anyone is reading this, does anyone have one for sale they'd like to pass along? I was lucky to find this where I live, there are slim pickings around here.

The way I figure, I will just get that Office Depot Gearhead 5x11 USB keyboard (or something like it) for those occasions when the virtual keyboard bothers me. I was doing so well until--well, anyway.

LRH

johnco57

Apr 23, 2011
The Coby Kyros MID7015 comes with a USB adapter full-size-to-micro. Maybe try a USB keyboard to see if the lag is being caused within the device or it's just the soft keyboard on the screen. If it's in the soft screen but not in the keyboard then it's just a matter of finding a keyboard that works for you.

There are some nice keyboard/case combos on ebay for around $25 right now.

jvanhare

Dec 12, 2010
Get an iPad, even a used first gen. None of my android tabs even comes close...I guarantee you won't throw it in frustration. :)
Well I feel rather silly. After only a week with my Coby MID7015 tablet (did I get the model number right?), in a moment of frustration I chunked it on the floor & broke it.

What inspired me to do that totally immature thing? Typing on the screen. Although I'm spoiled with my Blackberry's physical keyboard, I've gotten used to it on my Samsung Captivate, but for some reason--today anyway--I just couldn't type a freaking thing at all without making zillions of typos all over the place. Either I kept hitting the wrong letter or it would "lag" to keep up with me, with the screen pausing only to then go "you rtsxer" or whatever really fast when I caught up with me.

I am wondering if the resistive screen vs the capacitive is the reason why. I don't miss multi-gestures, the only one I used was pinch-to-zoom for enlarging links to be large enough to click on, but since the Coby accepted stylus input, I just did that if the links were small--no problem. But when typing out words, at times--not always, but at times (like today), the need to seemingly press the keys as hard as if I'm trying to squash Godzilla really seemed to hurt. I actually found I could type faster, often-times, on my Samsung Captivate, despite it being a 4" device vs a 7" device.

Angry Birds played okay on my Coby, I had learned how to root it and how to apply the graphics fix, all was well, but the "latency" with the touch-screen when doing many other things was somewhat aggravating, but ESPECIALLY when it caused me to type a bunch of goobly-gock.

$100 wasted, that was stupid.

I guess the question I have will merit a reply of "only you know if you can live with tablet PCs" or "grow up first, brat!" or whatever, but is typing on a tablet really this hard often-times and thus maybe I'm just "not a tablet guy," or is it a function of the resistive screen? If that's the case, are there other economical models which would do better, or am I perhaps better off waiting & saving up my coins for a Wi-Fi only Samsung Galaxy Tab? Assuming I still had the Coby, is there a compact USB-based keyboard which could've helped at such times, or would using that have defeated the purpose of having a tablet PC to start with (might as well have a netbook)? Or would maybe some form of overclocking it have helpd?

For the record, I had downloaded and installed the "iPhone Keyboard Emulator" as I had on my phone, its keys tend to be larger and easier to press, and yes--I had turned off the haptic & audible feedbacks so it would not have those as forms of lag/latency etc.

LRH

psphacker06

Mar 14, 2011
Get an iPad, even a used first gen. None of my android tabs even comes close...I guarantee you won't throw it in frustration. :)

Had a ipad first gen, and it SUCKED! I love android ipad is way to closed for me. I cant do anything to it. I love how you can mod android in anyway you want. Ipad doesnt come close to android in my opinion.