Extended USB Cord

Sechriest

Jan 12, 2012
I find the USB cord that came with my Tablet too short for working with the power plugged in, so I added on a second USB cord. Does anyone know if recharging with an extension to the USB cord will shorten tne battery's life over time?

Oct 10, 2011
I don't think an extension will have any ill effects on battery life. I do think hand held use of the VTAB while charging will drastically shorten the life of the USB socket. Look thru the forum and see all the problems users are having with loose or broken sockets. I have yet to find a store demo unit that doesn't already have a broken or seriously wobbly socket. Knowing this I keep my VTAB stationary on a table while charging or doing data transfers.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Hilltop is on the money. That happened to me and I received a replacement unit. If you do use it while plugged in (and I don't recommend that), do it in landscape mode so the cord is off to the side. The power port is very delicate.

am_fm_radio

Nov 8, 2011
I find the USB cord that came with my Tablet too short for working with the power plugged in, so I added on a second USB cord. Does anyone know if recharging with an extension to the USB cord will shorten tne battery's life over time?

As a Senior Field Engineer for a Worldwide Computer Company, with 24+ years experience in design and implementation of electronic devices, I assure you the length of the USB cable has no effect on the Battery, unless it's over 30-50ft long. Such an animal does not exist. I picked up a couple of 6 foot cables at less than $4 (newegg.com) to use. When I play with my VIZIO in the living room recliner, the AC outlet is behind the recliner and 6 ft cable seems to do nicely. Not to recommend but to reference:
6 foot cable----$3.99
Newegg.com - Link Depot 6 ft. USB 2.0 TYPE A TO MINI B CABLE Model USB-6-AMB - Cables
118 inch cable---$10.99
Newegg.com - Cables To Go 29652 Ultima™ USB 2.0 A to Mini-b Cable

Last edited:

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I totally agree that the battery won't be affected.

I bought right angle cables to help prevent a broken connector. I believe they are StarTech brand. The cable is thin so it moves around easily. They were cheap too...$3-$5. I bought several in different lengths so I would have flexibility and spares. I haven't had one go bad to date.

Brad