Extended Warranty NC.. Square Trade vs B&N... Opinions Plz

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Hello all. I just recently bought my wife a nook color and successfully Auto Rooted it thanks to the community here and at XDA. Now comes the question of the extended warranty.

Any thoughts or experiences with the service plans provided by Square Trade vs B&N.

Personally I dislike gambling on extended warranties but the Square Trade plan seems like a good deal. With a coupon one can purchase a 3yr plan with Accidental Damage from Handling from square trade for $34.99 vs.the 2yr plan @ B&N for $52.00

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
I personally have the BN 2yr plan. In addition, since the protection plan comes from BN, I can add an extra yr of warranty via the American Express warranty plan. FYI in case you didn't know, if you purchased your Nook with a Amex card, American express will double any products warranty up to an additional year, you just have to have proof you bought it on the card ( like the credit card statement and/or receipt) and still have the card in good standings. Then again, if you're looking for a 2yr warranty, then don't pay anything, use an Amex card, and save the receipts...

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
I have the Square Trade warranty & I think I prefer it to the B&N plan. Specifically because Square Trade will replace your unit with $$ if you make a claim & you can buy another new NC or whatever. B&N is probably going to replace with a refurbed unit. If you make your claim in 2 or 3 years, think of what you could probably buy with $250.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I purchased a 2 year Square trade plan with 20% off so it was a very good deal IMO. I like the fact it covers accidental droppage and immersion if you drop it say in a puddle or short it out in a sudden rain shower. Two years was good enough for me.

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
I have the Square Trade warranty & I think I prefer it to the B&N plan. Specifically because Square Trade will replace your unit with $$ if you make a claim & you can buy another new NC or whatever. B&N is probably going to replace with a refurbed unit. If you make your claim in 2 or 3 years, think of what you could probably buy with $250.

Good Point on the cash.

If anyone is interested I can post a 30% discount code good till the end of March if the Mods allow it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think discount codes are acceptable unless you are also trying to sell something else ;)

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Try "early" for a 30% discount till midnight 03/29/2011

Try "thirty30" for a 30% discount till the end of March 2011

I called Sqr Trade and the rep informed me that you can buy a warranty on new items up to 90 days after the purchase date.

Upadate: 04/01/2011 ....I purchased my extended warranty online and the extended contract date expires on the date I purchased the warranty, not the date of purchase on the item receipt. Interesting!

Last edited:

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
New 30% off coupon 04/06/2011, one time use I believe.

0TR121VV0HT

20% coupon code

TAX30