External mic adapter

Tubaman

Aug 27, 2011
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a 3.5 mm trrs adapter cable in order to use an external microphone and still use your headphones? I am a music teacher and I would like to be able to record my classes with better results than I am able to get using the infamous internal mic. Also, TASCAM makes in interface module that they promote to Apple users, but looks like it would work with our A500(uses a 3.5 mm trrs plug) (with appropriate apps, of course). Any thoughts?

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
If you're referring to the "Tascam iXZ Mic/Instrument Interface", I think it will work, but it's only a guess. "iPhone" mic/headsets work, and the "capsule mics" for iPhone also work (as you noticed, a mic alone provides no audio output while it's plugged in).

There are a couple of things I saw about the Tascam iXZ that may be a concern. First, it has a "phantom power" selection for professional mics (the interface unit uses 2 AA batteries for that), and I don't know how Acer would handle that through the Smartphone connection. It would be bad if you fried the audio circuits of the Acer due to the adapter being designed for an iPhone. Again, I THINK they are the same specs. I have three styles of mics and headsets "for iPhone", and they're all working fine. The capsule mic volume is a little low (about half as loud as I'd hoped, but ideal for loud noises, or speaking at close range).

Amazon isn't always the best way to get info, but a Tascam iXZ review (for iPhone of course) said that the headphone audio feeds back through the mic a little. That one may have been defective, or not plugged in correctly, who knows.

Anyway, it would be worth a shot. Even I'm tempted to give it a try. The ability to use an XLR mic would be a godsend. If you get it to work, please give us an update!

[EDIT]: I found exactly one review that specifically mentions Android phones being compatible: http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...-iPad--iPhone--and-iPod-107211765-i2172047.gc (But shop around, that site's price is not the lowest).

Last edited:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
If you really want to record performances then you should just buy a Zoom recorder, even the $100 H1 would probably do a better job than any microphone/preamp running through the headset connection of either a500 or iThing. If you want real professional interface to an iThing then there are choices but you will pay many times more money for the interface than you will for a really good audio recorder. The only reason you should want something like this would be if you needed to send (live?) audio to another place like a live radio remote broadcast. There are a couple of these things for the iPhone so that you can either stream live or record and send back to the studio, I have not seen a single device for an Android anything because of the lack of a standardized connector.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
The only reason you should want something like this would be if you needed to send (live?) audio to another place like a live radio remote broadcast.
Another reason would be if you wish to send youtube videos on-the-fly. Or to record audio files for a podcast, without requiring a PC.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
OK, you got me, there are a couple other reasons. My specific desire would be to send audio back to a studio for live remotes. Sadly neither end is currently available for Android and I'm not investing in an iThing to do this as it would be more expensive than other systems that are just as compact that I could use with a 3g card or mifi device. Now that I know it uses a trrs I may look into building something just for fun.

the alternate I have been thinking about would be a bluetooth interface to get the audio into the device, still haven't really looked into it enough to see if it would work.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
the alternate I have been thinking about would be a bluetooth interface to get the audio into the device, still haven't really looked into it enough to see if it would work.
Bluetooth audio inputs don't work (until some future update?). I would like a Zoom, and there's even a camcorder version of that. The mic options for the Acer are monophonic -- if you're going for great quality, I do think whatever you use might as well be stereo. The mic on the Acer is such a disappointment, I don't use it for any recording. I have used it for Skype, with a single-ear headset. There's no side-tone (can't hear yourself talk as you might with a typical phone), so a full headset makes conversations uncomfortable (to me), particularly the earbud style smartphone headsets.

Last edited:

LarryL

Aug 9, 2012
Excellent Bluetooth adaptor at BSW: JK Audio BlueDriver F3 This plugs into a microphone or console output and sends the audio back through the phone. There is a corresponding adapter with a male XLR end for a mic input to a console, so you have end-to-end audio. Works really great!

-Larry
OK, you got me, there are a couple other reasons. My specific desire would be to send audio back to a studio for live remotes. Sadly neither end is currently available for Android and I'm not investing in an iThing to do this as it would be more expensive than other systems that are just as compact that I could use with a 3g card or mifi device. Now that I know it uses a trrs I may look into building something just for fun.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Excellent Bluetooth adaptor ... Works really great!

That will not work. A Bluetooth mic output doesn't function for recording audio on the A500. That Bluetooth adapter will work as a headset adapter only, but you can buy an ordinary Bluetooth phone headset much cheaper -- with the advantage of having a Bluetooth mic in the headset so you can test if or when the mic capability is ever enabled by Acer.

Last edited: